Described by the MSTRCAGE project., Described by the MSTRSLID project., Lower Fort Garry was built in 1830 by the Hudson's Bay Company on the western bank of the Red River, 32 km (20 mi) north of the original Fort Garry (often called Upper Fort Garry). The upper fort is now in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The Lower Fort Garry site was chosen because of its high ground and location below the St. Andrew's Rapids, eliminating the need for a portage of heavy fur packs and York boats., The Lower Fort's main purpose was to supply the Red River settlement and the surrounding Anishinaabe, Cree, Métis, and European (mostly Orkney Scot) populations. The fort traded manufactured goods to the farmers and hunters for food that would provision the Company's northern treks. In 1870, when the Red River Rebellion (Red River Resistance) broke out, Louis Riel occupied Upper Fort Garry, and the Québec Rifles took the lower fort. On August 3, 1871, Treaty No. 1 was signed between the federal government and seven chiefs of the Ojibway (Saulteaux) and Swampy Cree First Nations at Lower Fort Garry.