Library of Parliament fonds [multiple media]
Notice descriptive – Brève1
Library of Parliament fonds [multiple media]Niveau hiérarchique :FondsDate :1850-1996.Référence :R1026-0-0-EGenre de documents :Documents textuels, Documents photographiques, Documents sonores, Images en mouvement, Objets (incluant les médailles et épinglettes)Trouvé dans :Archives / Collections et fondsNo d’identification :25Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – DétailsFonds comprend :22 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieurDate(s) :1850-1996.Lieu de création :Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminéÉtendue :3.27 m of textual records
1 microfilm reel
12 albums (431 photographs)
ca. 200 photographs
742 audio casettes
1 film reel (27 min, 35 s)
17 videocassettes (13 h, 33 min)
2 plaquesLangue du document :anglaisLangue du document additionnelle :anglais, françaisPortée et contenu :Fonds consists of records created and/or maintained by the Library of Parliament. Researchers are cautioned that unprocessed textual records and records in other media are not reflected in this description.
Fonds consists of sound recordings and transcripts of interviews conducted by Tom Earle, Catherine Bergman and D'Iberville Fortier from 1983 to 1996 for the joint Oral History Project of the National Archives and the Library of Parliament. The interviews document the lives of men and women prominent in Canadian public life. Transcripts and sound recordings can be found in the series entitled Oral history interviews, and are arranged in three sub-series as follows: Interviews conducted by Tom Earle; Interviews conducted by Catherine Bergman; and Interviews conducted by D'Iberville Fortier.
Fonds also consists of moving images including: a Canadian documentary short film entitled The Mackenzie Valley Pipeline - A Native Perspective; and lectures, interviews and talks about Quebec politics, videotaped at the University of Toronto.
Fonds also contains two commemorative plaques that were removed from the vestibule at the entrance to the Library of Parliament and transferred to the Public Archives in 1926, after being deemed of historical interest rather than Parliamentary interest.Provenance :Biographie/Histoire administrative :Canada. Library of Parliament : The Library of Parliament originated from the legislative libraries of Upper and Lower Canada created in the 1790s. These libraries were amalgamated at the time when the Province of Canada was created in 1841. The present Library of Parliament was established by an Act in Relation to the Library of Parliament of 1871 (34 Victoria, c.21, 1871). The Library has had a turbulent history. In 1849, a mob protesting the Rebellion Losses Bill burned the legislature, then located in Montreal. All but about 200 of some 12,000 books were destroyed in the fire. The Parliament of the United Canadas gained a permanent home after Queen Victoria chose Ottawa as the capital in 1858. When the government was moved to Ottawa in 1865, the Library was temporarily located in a wing of the new Parliament Buildings occupied by the Upper House. It only moved into its present Gothic structure, in 1876, some nine years after Confederation. When the Centre block of the Parliament buildings burned in 1916, the Library was saved from harm, but both the building and its collections were extensively damaged in the fire of 1952. The primary purpose of the Library is to provide information and research services to Members of Parliament, Senators, parliamentary committees and parliamentary delegations. The collection of books and documents is carefully chosen to meet these needs. In particular, the research section of the Library provides valuable assistance to parliamentarians and parliamentary committees. The Library of Parliament is considered a department for administrative purposes by virtue of the Parliament of Canada Act(RSC 1985, c.P-1). Its head, the parliamentary librarian, who holds the rank of deputy minister, as well as the associate parliamentary librarian are both appointed by the Governor in Council. Direction of the Library is vested jointly in the Speaker of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Commons. A joint committee of members from both Houses reviews its operation on a regular basis.Instrument de recherche :Information additionnelle :Source du titre :RSC 1970, L-7Versements complémentaires :Further accruals are expected.Groupes de documents reliés :Correspondence regarding the transfer of the two commemorative plaques from the Library of Parliament vestibule can be found the the Department of Public Works fonds. Please see file number 1575-107, MIKAN number 3732211.Source :Gouvernement
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Date de modification :