Inspection Division [textual record]
Notice descriptive – Brève
Inspection Division [textual record]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- Référence :
- R1206-184-5-E, RG76-D-4
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Date(s) :
- Équivalent bilingue :
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
- 0.85 m of textual records
- Langue du document :
- Portée et contenu :
Series consists of Chinese case files maintained by the Inspection Services of the Department during the investigation by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police of illegal and fraudulent immigration practices among Chinese immigrants and agents, 1950-1963.
The files contain documentation on the individuals, families, businesses, and agents involved in instances of illegal immigration dealt with by the Inspection Services office. This includes personal immigration documents, records of the investigations (such as police and RCMP reports, Immigration's notes, and correspondence from and to the parties involved), and some documentation on prosecutions where applicable.
Originally coded as regular Chinese (CH) case files (described under Chinese immigration case files sub-series, RG76-D-2-i, MIKAN 161425) these particular files were taken over and recorded in the DIS (Departmental Inspection Services) series. Most were classified to Secret when transferred to the National Archives.
- Nom(s) additionnel(s) :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Canada. Dept. of Citizenship and Immigration. Inspection Division : The office known as Inspection Services - officially the [Departmental] Inspection Division of the Departmental Administration Branch - was apparently established between 1954 and 1956 to monitor departmental activities generally. In the spring of 1959, however, the Director of Inspection Services was asked by the Minister to investigate reports of immigration irregularities in the Hong Kong immigration office. This inspection led to a full-scale three-year national and international investigation of Chinese immigration patterns (1959-1962), which entailed police surveillance, raids on suspected offenders in Canada - said to be the largest RCMP action in peacetime up to that date - and other enforcement activities. The Inspection Division, under its Director J. Kim Abbott, appears to have played a central role in organizing this investigation. It also produced reports on regular and irregular patterns of immigration from other foreign countries. In 1964-1965 the Division was abolished. What remained of its continuing special duties were apparently assigned to the new Special Services Directorate, responsible for immigration enforcement and related matters. RG76 General Inventory
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records (Électronique) Finding aid 76-56 is a handwritten file list indicating volume number,file number, file part, file title and outside dates. Finding aid 76-56 is an unverified file list. The finding aid is available as a PDF attached to this record. 76-56 (66:Expurgé)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf002/76-56_161441_vols_727-731_severed.pdf(Papier) Finding aid 76-57 is a handwritten file list. Access to this finding aid is restricted. 76-57
- Information additionnelle :
- Source du titre :
- Title is based on the contents of the series.
- Versements complémentaires :
- No further accruals are expected.
- Groupes de documents reliés :
- See also the Chinese immigration case files sub-series (RG76-D-2-i, MIKAN 161425). For further information on the office see the Subject files sub-sub-series (MIKAN 161296, RG76-B-2-b, Vols. 718-725). For reports prepared by Inspection Services between 1959 and 1964, surveying patterns of immigration from various foreign countries and summarizing findings on illegal Chinese immigration, see the Reports, studies, and forms series (MIKAN 134841, RG76-D-1-a, Vol. 735, folders 1-6). Other files created by this office may have been reintegrated into the main Central Registry file series in 1964-1965 (see Headquarters central registry files series, RG76-B, MIKAN 134828).
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
- Date de modification :