The fonds consists of photographs taken by Dr. William Hodgson Ellis (1845-1920), a University of Toronto professor of medicine, and an amateur photographer of some repute, who was one of the founding members of the photographic section of the Canadian Institute in 1887 and in 1888 of the Toronto Amateur Photographic Association and its successor the Toronto Camera Club. He remained a member until 1912. Ellis was also an amateur artist, and a published poet. The majority of the photographs document a canoe trip to Lake Temiskaming, Ont., by Dr. Ellis and party, 1896; a bicycling outing to Scarborough Bluffs of the same year; activities of the Ellis and Mickle families around Toronto and Lake Simcoe, Ont.; and views of the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont., 1889. There are also twelve glass negatives of Dr. W.H. Ellis' sketches of a camping trip to Lake Superior; and one photographic image of children with deer.