Niagara Region [multiple media]
Notice descriptive – Brève1
Niagara Region [multiple media]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- Référence :
- R1195-8-4-E, RG52, RG52M 73/27727, RG52M 756/17586, RG52M 78903/7, RG52M 78903/8, RG52M 81203/37, RG52M 81203/54, RG52M 81203/62, RG52M 86703/38
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels, Dessins d'architecture et techniques, Cartes et documents cartographiques
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Date(s) :
- Équivalent bilingue :
- Cliquez ici
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
m of textual records
ca. 2773 technical drawings some blueprints, some brownline prints, some pencil and ink.
ca. 288 maps some mss. ink on tracing linen, some brownline prints, some blueline prints.
ca. 140 architectural drawings some ink on tracing linen, some brownline prints.
- Langue du document :
- Portée et contenu :
This is a preliminary record, please consult the linked accessions. Series consists of records created and/or maintained by the Niagara Region headquarters in St. Catharines, Ontario. The records mostly relate to the operation of the Welland Canal., Cartographic material, architectural drawing, technical drawing: RG52M 73/27727 consists of drawings and maps of the Canal, including bridges, locks and repair works. RG52M 756/17586 consists primarily of plans of buildings, repairs to roadways, locks, lock gates, maintenance of machinery, location of steering lights, boat landings, sweeping of docks, and reference numbers to mechanical equipment. RG52M 78903/7 consists of plans of the entrance wall extensions to locks #2 and 3. RG52M 78903/8 consists of engineering plans, under contracts #27 and #74. RG52M 81203/37 consists of drawings on the construction and maintenance of Bridge 12, that is now demolished. RG52M 81203/54 consists of drawings of the design, construction and maintenance of a pontoon gate lifter. RG52M 81203/62 consists of engineering plans for the period 1913-1969. RG52M 86703/38 consists of plans of bridges and sections, which developed into the present canal.
- Nom(s) additionnel(s) :
- Canada. Dept. of Railways and Canals. Railway Branch. Office of the Chief Engineer
- Canada. Dept. of Railways and Canals. Office of the Superintending Engineer, Welland Canal
- St. Lawrence Seaway Authority (Canada). Niagara Region
- Canadian Marine Transportation Administration. Canals Division
- Grant, Alex J
- Dubuc, Arthur-Edouard, 1880-1944
- Wellman-Seaver-Morgan Co
- Canadian Bridge Co
- Harrington, Howard & Ash
- Hamilton Bridge Works Co
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
St. Lawrence Seaway Authority (Canada). Niagara Region : The Niagara Region headquarters, which operates the Canadian-owned Welland Canal, is situated in St. Catharines, Ontario. Formerly known as the St. Catharines, Western Region, the Niagara Region administration currently comprises three divisions under the direction of a vice-president and is responsible for the operations and maintenance of the Welland Canal. The Administrative Services Division provides administrative support to the other two divisions within the region in the areas of Human Resources Management, Accounting, Purchasing and Stores, Real Property Management and Vehicle and Building Maintenance Management. The Engineering and Maintenance Division is responsible for the continuous availability and reliable operation of all structures and Seaway facilities of the Niagara Region St. Lawrence Seaway Authority to ensure safe and expedient movement of vessel traffic in accordance with Authority policy, programs and service objectives. This is achieved by establishing both basic short- and long-term objectives for the Division encompassing the essential maintenance, rehabilitation and improvement projects to be carried out. Operations Division is responsible for the efficient manning of the vessel traffic control centre and other operating structures to ensure a safe, efficient and expedient movement of vessel traffic through the Welland Canal and in adjacent waters of Lakes Erie and Ontario in accordance with Authority policy, programs, procedures, approved budgets and applicable federal statutes. The Division is also involved in liaison with the shipping trade and United States and Canadian government agencies involved in the operation of the Seaway. Infosource
- Instrument de recherche :
Technical drawing (Papier) RG52M 78903/7, RG52M 81203/54 consist of item listings. RG52M 78903/8 consists of a listing by file number in the acquisition documentation folder. RG52M 81203/37 consists of an item listing. There is a reference note on the numbered bridges over the Welland Ship Canal in the acquisition documentation file. RG52M 78903/7; RG52M 78903/8; RG52M 81203/37; RG52M 81203/54. Finding aids available in main reference room. (90: Ouvert)Technical drawing, cartographic material (Papier) Acquisition documentation file contains a handwritten listing of plans, grouped according to the section or bridge number. RG52M 86703/38 Finding aid available in main reference room. (90: Ouvert)Multiple media (Papier) RG52M 73/27727 consists of an item listing. There is also a partial handwritten list in the acquisition documentation file. RG52M 756/17586 consists of an item listing. RG52M 81203/62: acquisition documentation file contains a detailed list, provided by the S.L.S.A., which is arranged by package or roll. The packages or rolls do not maintain the sequence of plan numbers. RG52M 73/27727; RG52M 756/17586; RG52M 81203/62. Finding aids available in main reference room. (90: Ouvert)
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
RG52M 756/17586: Items are rolled.
RG52M 81203/37: Most of the plans were drawn up by the Canadian Bridge Company Ltd., of Windsor, ON.
RG52M 81203/54: Design was worked out by the Wellman-Seaver-Morgan Company of Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A., to conform to general plans and specifications prepared by the Chief Engineer of the Welland Ship Canal with the former Dept. of Railways and Canals. The main contract was let to the Collingwood Shipyards to construct the pontoons and superstructure, but various contracts were sub-let for the mechanical and electrical equipment. Accession lacks items #60-63.
RG52M 81203/62: Plans are numbered from 20 to 79544. A few plans do not fall within this number sequence. An example of a number is: FE 14, File 6, C-7127-1.
RG52M 86703/38: Most of the plans were prepared by the firms of Harrington, Howard and Ash, or by the Hamilton Bridge Works Company Limited. There is also one plan of the Lachine Canal.
- Source du titre :
- Title is based on the contents of the series.
- Note sur la description matérielle :
- RG52M 81203/54: Most of the drawings were signed by Alex J. Grant, Engineer-in-charge, Welland Ship Canal and by A.E. Dubuc, Chief Engineer, Dept. of Railways and Canals. RG52M 86703/38: Some items are stamped with the bridge project name and number.
- Note sur l'état de conservation :
- RG52M 756/17586: Some items are torn at the edges. RG52M 78903/7: Most of the sheets have holes punched along one side.
- Historique de la conservation :
- RG52M 73/27727 transferred in 1973 from the St. Lawrence Seaway Authority. RG52M 756/17586 transferred in 1975 from the S.L.S.A. RG52M 78903/7 transferred in 1973 from the S.L.S.A., but was not accessioned until 1978. RG52M 81203/37 transferred in 1981, and RG52M 81203/62 transferred in Feb. 1982, from the St. Catharines office of the S.L.S.A. RG52M 81203/54 transferred in Dec. 1981 to the National Map Collection. RG52M 86703/38 transferred at an unknown date to the National Map Collection, by the St. Lawrence Seaway Administration. Provenance of RG52M 78903/8 is uncertain.
- Note de citation/référence :
- RG52M 81203/54: Canada. Dept. of Railways and Canals. The Welland Ship Canal, 1913-1932. London : Offices of "Engineering", 1935. [PAAP, TC627, W4C6]
- Note sur l'emplacement des originaux :
- RG52M 86703/38: The listing's original items marked in yellow are in the files of the St. Catharines office of the S.L.S.A. Those original items marked in red have been transferred by the S.L.S.A. to the Dept. of Public Works, Welland, ON.
- Données mathématiques sur les documents :
- Scales differ.
- Note sur l'emplacement des doubles :
- RG52M 81203/54: After disposal of the equipment, the St. Catharines office had microfilm copies prepared. The security copy of the microfilm is stored at the SLSA Head Office in Cornwall, ON.
- Note sur l'étendue originelle :
- RG52M 73/27727: Originally received 336 items (47 plans of Welland Ship Canal; 130 sheets of an estimate for swing birdge, Port Dalhousie, ON.; 151 miscellaneous items of Welland Ship Canal; 8 plans of Lakeview Cemetery, Thorold, ON.). But there is no information about disposal.
- Note sur les dates de création :
- RG52M 78903/8: Date of creation, [ca. 1964], taken from article on history of improvements to the Welland Canal section of the St. Lawrence Seaway.
- Versements complémentaires :
- Further accruals are expected.
- Groupes de documents reliés :
- Technical drawing: RG52M 81203/37 and RG52M 86703/38 contain drawings of bridge #12.
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Vous pouvez réserver des documents à l'avance pour qu'ils soient disponibles lors de votre visite. Vous aurez besoin d'une carte utilisateur pour ce faire.
Vous ne pouvez pas nous rendre visite ? Vous pouvez acheter une reproduction qui vous sera envoyée. Certaines restrictions peuvent s'appliquer.
- Date de modification :