Research Branch [multimedia records]
Notice descriptive – Brève1
Research Branch [multimedia records]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- [1895-2006 (predominant dates 1959-1999)].
- Référence :
- R194-113-4-E, RG17-B-VII-1-a, RG17M 8891
- Ancien no du BAN :
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels, Dessins d'architecture et techniques, Images en mouvement, Documents photographiques
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Série comprend :
169 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- [1895-2006 (predominant dates 1959-1999)].
- Équivalent bilingue :
- Cliquez ici
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
343.5 m of textual records;
ca. 19,200 photographs: some col. slides; some 35 mm.
ca. 1148 architectural drawings : some ink on tracing linen, some blueprints, some photocopies.
ca. 194 technical drawings;
2 film reels (52 min, 24 s) : 16 mm.
- Langue du document :
- Langue du document additionnelle :
- anglais, français
- Portée et contenu :
This is a preliminary record, please consult the linked accessions. Series consists of records created and/or accumulated by the Research Branch of the Department of Agriculture and Agrifood Canada and its predecessors.
Included within this series are:
1. Registry files created by and used in the Research Branch - although conforming to the numerical registry system of the whole Department. These files relate to many topics, including experimental farms, property and legal files, personnel (including William and Charles Saunders, W.T. Macoun, J.H. Grisdale, E.S. Archibald, and other pioneers of scientific agriculture), exhibitions, conferences, participation in Expo 67, Defence Research Board, entomological research, and irrigation.
2. Architectural and technical drawings (construction plans), which are of modern farm buildings, livestock housing systems, storage and farmstead equipment created by the federal-provincial organization, the Canadian Farm Building Plan Service.
3. Published catalogues of related information on animal and crop housing and equipment and reports by the Engineering and Statistical Research Institute.
4. Film reels comprising English and French versions of a motion picture entitled Research to Increase Lamb Production in Canada = Recherches visant à accoître la production ovine au Canada.
5. Operational, administrative, and historical files from headquaters and regional Research Branch locations, including Atlantic and Prairie Regions, as well as the Fredericton Potato Research Centre, the Rust Research Laboratory in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Centre for Food and Animal Research, and the Food Research Institute.
6. Various scientific papers written by Research Branch staff, including the Food Research Institute and the Animal Research Institute.
7. Photographs relating to activities, personnel, grounds, and buildings of the federal Department of Agriculture; Frank Nowosad photos of agriculture in the Yukon and Northwest Territories; lantern slides of Indian Head, Sask., 1941. Subjects include, but are not limited to, Field Husbandry Division; Central Experimental Farm, Ottawa, Ontario: agriculture; architecture; farming implements, livestock, machinery / tools, events, drawings, landscapes, winter months, architecture; New Brunswick and Nova Scotia: dykes, rivers, bridges, marshes, vegetation, public gatherings, honey farm, Dominion Live Stock Branch; Canada fruit industry; dairy industry; World's Poultry Congress. See photo FA-084 (accession 1982-247). Please use photo accession 1976-064 to access a view by the Panoramic Camera Co. of the representatives to the Dominion Conference, Agriculture Service, Toronto, 29 Aug. 1932 (photo taken with a panoramic camera).
- Provenance :
- Nom(s) additionnel(s) :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Canada. Dept. of Agriculture. Research Branch : Originally, the Experimental Farm Stations Act of 1886 established five farm stations, including a central farm station in Ottawa. These stations were to conduct scientific research, and were known as experimental farms. The number of research sites and establishments increased significantly and various names were used, including experimental farms, experimental stations, sub-stations, and laboratories, usually preceded by the term Dominion. In 1959, another major reoganization took place at the Department of Agriculture, replacing the main administrative structure that had been in place since 1938. Experimental farms and scientific research were combined to form the Research Branch. The creation of the new branch introduced the names research stations and research institutes. In 1986, the existing research institutes were renamed research centres and in 1993, the research stations were renamed research centres. In Quebec, the other research stations were renamed research and development centres in 1993. Since 1993, the main sites have been known as research centres (research and development centres in Quebec) while their affiliated establishments are generally known as research farms. At the beginning of the 21st century, in addition to its Ottawa headquarters, the Research Branch had 62 research sites, including 19 Research Centres. These were known as the Atlantic Cool Climate Crop (St. John's); Food (Guelph); Crops and Livestock (Charlottetown); Cereal (Winnipeg); Atlantic Food and Horticulture (Kentville); Brandon Research Centre; Potato (Fredericton); Saskatoon Research Centre; Soils and Crops (Sainte Foy); Semiarid Prairie Agricultural (Swift Current) Dairy and Swine (Lennoxville); Lethbridge Research Centre; Horticulture (St-Jean-Sur-Richelieu); Lacombe Research Centre Food (Sainte-Hyacinthe); Pacific Agri-Food (Summerland); Eastern Cereal and Oilseed (Ottawa). These research centres carried out the primary functions of the Research Branch, and these functions have remained relatively constant for over a century. These are: 1. Resource Conservation; 2. Crop Research; 3. Animal Research; and 4. Food Research. The Research Branch has also been subdivided structurally into various offices, bureaus, divisions, and directorates. One important section that operated between 1959 and 1997 was Research Information Services. Originally known as Scientific Information Services from 1959 to 1972, Research Program Services from 1973 to 1992, and Information and Planning Services from 1993 to 1997, it played a key role in the technology transfer associated with the research findings made by Research Branch. Other more recent administrative entities have included: Science Partnerships Directorate, Innovation Program Directorate, Science Centres Directorate, Science Policy and Planning Directorate, the Office of Intellectual Property and Commercialization, and the International Scientific Cooperation Bureau. From 1959 until 2012, despite some minor reorganizations, the name and the main functions of the Research Branch remained more or less the same. In 2012, another major reorganization occurred at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, and as part of this reorganization the Research Branch was integrated with the Agri-Environment Services Branch and the name was changed to Science and Technology Branch.
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records (Électronique) Finding aid 17-14 is an unverified file list that consists of volume number, file number, file part, title, and outside dates for volumes 2810-2815. The finding aid is available as a PDF attached to this record. 17-14 (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf002/17-14_134081_vols. 2810-2815_open.pdfArchitectural, technical drawings (Papier) Finding aid is available in the main reference room. Finding aid consists of a detailed item listing, a building type index, and a listing of catalogues and reports. RG17M 8891. (90: Ouvert)Graphic (photo): (Papier) For accession 1982-247. Original alphabetical index to laboratories by location with captions and images located in 2000775690-691. Alphabtical portraits index with images and captions located in 2000775692-649. Index to buildings with images and captions located in 2000775695-696. Original index to equipment, locations and activities located in 2000775696-707. Original volumes located in 2000775708 (see list in collection file). Negatives by series with captions and images located in 2000775708-710. FA-084. (99: Fermé pour fins de traitement)Graphic (photo): (Papier) Finding aid material related to items R126, P429, P517. Accession file 1982-247. (90: Ouvert)Graphic (photo) (Électronique) Finding Aid covers 31 volumes of nitrate film from Accession 1982-247 affected by the Nitrate Rehousing Project. Finding aid consists of box number, items range, box content and general notes. It is available on the Finding Aid shared drive. FA-084. (90: Ouvert)
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
Researchers interested in papers written about farm structure design and construction should consult the publications of the Engineering and Statistical Research Institute, Agriculture Canada; these publications are available at the Agriculture Canada library. The acquisition documentation files list the following sources as being useful: (1) Agriculture Canada, Engineering and Statistical Research Institute. Summary of projects and publications 1960-1985 by B.A. Morrison and A. Thuns. Report 1-780; (2) Agriculture Canada, ESRI. Canada Plan Service. Glossary of farm building terminology. Report 1-470. Jan. 1983; (3) Canada Plan Service newsletter, Feb. 1988.
The Canada Plan Service produced plans and corresponding leaflets by number and title. An index to these is in the acquisition documentation file.
- Source du titre :
- Title is based on the contents of the series.
- Historique de la conservation :
- Please note that some photographs were pulled from their original files for curatorial purposes. Please use accession number 1976-024 to consult photographs from file RG17 2814, file 623/9, and accession number 1976-025 for photographs from file RG17 2812, file 212.
- Note sur la langue :
- Some items have text in French.
- Données mathématiques sur les documents :
- Scales differ.
- Note sur les autres formats physiques disponibles :
- The architectural, technical drawings have been microfilmed. The NMC microfiche numbers are listed in the finding aid, available in the main reference room.
- Note sur l'emplacement des doubles :
- Duplicates of 194 items were transferred in 1989 to the Agriculture Museum at the Central Experimental Farm. A listing of these plans and sheet numbers is in the acquisition documentation file.
- Versements complémentaires :
- Further accruals are expected.
- Note(s) sur le contenant :
4497 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 059 Barcode 2000902763
4498 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 059 Barcode 2000902763 and Box RV1 060 Barcode 2000902765
4499 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 060 Barcode 2000902765 and Box RV1 061 Barcode 2000902767
4501 : Safety - Previously Box RV1 059 Barcode 2000902763, Box RV1 060 Barcode 2000902765, Box RV1 061 Barcode 2000902767, and Box RV1 062 Barcode 2000902768
4502 : Safety - Previously Box RV1 062 Barcode 2000902768, Box RV1 064 Barcode 2000902771
4503 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 064 Barcode 2000902771, Box RV1 065 Barcode 2000902772, and Box RV1 066 Barcode 2000902774
4504 : Safety - Previously Box RV1 065 Barcode 20009027772, Box RV1 069 Barcode 2000902779
4505 : Prints - Previously Box RV1 059 Barcode 2000902763, Box RV1 060 Barcode 2000902765, Box RV1 061 Barcode 2000902767
4506 : Prints - Previously Box RV1 061 Barcode 2000902767, Box RV1 062 Barcode 2000902768, Box RV1 063 Barcode 2000902770, RV1064 2000902771
4507 : Prints - Previously Box RV1064 Barcode 2000902771, Box RV1 065 Barcode 2000902772
4508 : Prints - Previously Box RV1 065 Barcode 2000902772
4509 : Prints - Previously Box RV1 065 Barcode 000902772 and Box RV1 066 Barcode 2000902774
4510 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 066 Barcode 2000902774 and Box RV1 067 Barcode 2000902776
4511 : Prints - Previously Box RV1 066 Barcode 000902774 and Box RV1 067 2000902775
4512 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 068 Barcode 2000902778
4513 : Prints - Previously Box RV1 068 Barcode 000902778
4514 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 069 Barcode 2000902779 and Box RV1 070 Barcode 200090782
4515 : Prints - Previously Box RV1 069 Barcode 000902779
4516 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 070 Barcode 2000902782 and Box RV1 071 Barcode 2000902786
4517 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 071 Barcode 2000902786 and Box RV1 072 Barcode 2000902788
4518 : Prints - Previously Box RV1 070 Barcode 000902782 and Box RV1 071 Barcode 000902786
4519 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 072 Barcode 2000902788 and Box RV1 073 Barcode 2000902790
4520 : Prints - Previously Box RV1 071 Barcode 000902786 and Box RV1 072 Barcode 000902788
4538 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 058 Barcode 2000902761
4539 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 058 Barcode 2000902761
4540 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV1 058 Barcode 2000902761
4567 : Safety film - Previously 1982-247 Box RV1 063 Barcode 2000902770
4568 : Safety film - Previously Box RV1 073 Barcode 2000902790
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
- Autre no d'acquisition :
- No d'autorisation de disposition de document :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Copyright belongs to the Crown. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
Moving images (film): Reproduction with written permission of copyright holder(s). There are no donor restrictions.
Vous pouvez réserver des documents à l'avance pour qu'ils soient disponibles lors de votre visite. Vous aurez besoin d'une carte utilisateur pour ce faire.
Vous ne pouvez pas nous rendre visite ? Vous pouvez acheter une reproduction qui vous sera envoyée. Certaines restrictions peuvent s'appliquer.
- Date de modification :