Canadian Hungarian News Company fonds [textual record, graphic material]
Notice descriptive – Brève1
Canadian Hungarian News Company fonds [textual record, graphic material]Niveau hiérarchique :FondsDate :1915-1980.Référence :R3143-0-4-E, MG28-V19Genre de documents :Documents textuels, Documents photographiquesTrouvé dans :Archives / Collections et fondsNo d’identification :105771Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – DétailsFonds comprend :24 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieurDate(s) :1915-1980.Lieu de création :ManitobaÉtendue :8.09 m of textual records.
12 photographs b&w.Langue du document :finno-ougriennes, autres languesPortée et contenu :Fonds consists of papers relating mainly to the Canadian Hungarian News Co. and the services it provided to the Hungarian community in Canada, n.d., 1915-1980.
The fonds also contains photographs depicting people and activities related to the Canadian Hungarian News and the Hungarian community. The photographs include: a group shot of Canada Ethnic Press Federation at a citizenship conference in Ottawa, Dec 4-5, 1961; Women's Association of the Hungarian Mission of the United Church of Canada at a spring tea, Winnipeg,[1952 or 1953]; Hungarian immigrants in the Fraser Valley, B.C.; the Janos Szabo family, [ca. 1920]; and shots of religious and cultural organizations, [ca. 1920]-1972.Provenance :Biographie/Histoire administrative :Canadian Hungarian News Company : The Canadian Hungarian News Company was established in 1924 by Ivan Hordossy, an immigrant from Hungary. It published the weekly Canadian Hungarian News (Kanadai Magyar Ujság), and printed a number of other publications, including Quiet Moment (Csendes Percek) and Living Faith (Élö Hit), both religious monthlies. The most important Hungarian Canadian newspaper until its demise in 1976, the Canadian Hungarian News offered its largely immigrant readers from coast to coast the latest reports from the old homeland and familiarized them with conditions in Canada. It included special interest sections for farmers and housewives; offered its weekly serial story, as well as columns on social science, health and other subjects of interest to its readers. The Canadian Hungarian News Company imported for its readers medicines, books and other goods from Hungary. In 1934 it established a lending library. The newspaper took a leading role in establishing the Canadian Hungarian Association, organized in 1928. After World War II and following the 1956 uprising it solicited funds and gift parcels in aid of the needy in Hungary and for the many refugees who left their homeland.Instrument de recherche :Information additionnelle :Source :Privé
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Date de modification :