Molson fonds [multiple media]
Notice descriptive – Brève
Molson fonds [multiple media]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- Référence :
- R3088-0-4-E, MG28-III57
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels, Documents photographiques, Dessins d'architecture et techniques, Cartes et documents cartographiques, Objets (incluant les médailles et épinglettes), Images en mouvement, Documents sonores, Art
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Lien vers cette page :
Le lien correspond à la page Web qui décrit ce document en particulier. Contrairement au lien temporaire de votre navigateur, celui-ci vous permettra à l’avenir d’accéder à cette page et de la citer comme référence. Pour établir un lien avec cette notice, copier-coller l’adresse URL à l’endroit désiré (dans un wiki, un blogue ou un document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=105692&lang=fra
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Fonds comprend :
12 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
103.247 m of textual records.
16 microfilm reels of textual records.
6,428 photographs : b&w and col.
1061 architectural drawings.
278 technical drawings.
93 maps : some mss.
241 prints : various processes, incl. 2 albums.
42 watercolours : incl. gouache.
15 paintings : incl. oil on canvas, oil on board.
12 drawings : various media.
2 cuff links.
ca. 3353 film reels.
ca. 1341 videocassettes.
2 optical tracks.
1 magnetic track.
4 audio reels.
3 audio cassettes.
- Langue du document :
- Portée et contenu :
Fonds consists of textual records, n.d., 1619-1992, documenting the personal lives of the first three generations of the Molson family, as well as their business interests regarding Molson's brewing and distilling operations, and various other Molson business enterprises. Also includes material detailing the daily operations of Molson's Brewery Limited and its successors, as well as some material relating to the fourth and later generations of the Molson family. There are four series: Reference material on the Molson Family and business; Molson Family and business records, First three generations; Molson Family records, Fourth generation and later; and Molson's Brewery Limited and its succecssors records. Fonds also contains photographic materials. 1,566 photographs, ca. 1840-1971, depict activities of Molson Brewery Ltd. throughout Canada, ca. 1840-1971; breweries; members of the Molson family: Herbert Molson, Zoe Pantland Molson, Thomas Henry Pentland, Hartland Molson, Naomi Molson, and Mary Molson; Molson family yachts: Nooya, Curlew II, Nooya IV, V, and Aztec. 3,022, photographs, ca. 1840-1975, relate to activities of Molson's Brewery Ltd. Fonds also consists of audio-visual records, 1927-1994, documenting the activities of the company and their operating unit Molstar Communications. Fonds consists of architectural, technical drawings pertaining to Molson's Brewery offices, warehouses and other buildings, plans of stills and distilling apparatus, family residences, garages, Molson Stadium, and family boats. Engineering drawings include various locomotive engines, marine engines, rolling mill engines, steam engines, and many other types, as well as plans of bridges, viaducts and docks. Maps relate to Molson property sites, World War I , a map of India, and a sketch of the site for Historic Fort York.
- Provenance :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Molson's Brewery : Molson's Brewery was founded in Montreal in 1786 by John Molson (1763-1836), who had immigrated from Lincolnshire in 1782. In partnership with his sons John (d. 1860), Thomas (d. 1863) and William (d. 1875), Molson later entered such fields as steam-boating, distilling, hotel-keeping and banking, although the family ultimately withdrew from all of these areas. Later heads of the brewery included John H.R. Molson (1826-1897), Frederick William Molson (1860-1929), Herbert Molson (1875-1938), Herbert William (1882-1955) and Senator Hartland Molson (b. 1907). The brewery was owned by a series of partnerships until it became a private corporation in 1911 under the name Molson's Brewery Limited, and a public corporation in 1945. Between 1953 and 1962 Molson's established breweries in six provinces outside Quebec, and the firm subsequently diversified through acquisitions in a number of non-brewing areas. Works on the Molsons include The Barley and the Stream by Merrill Denison (1955) and The Molson Saga by Shirley Woods (1983).
- Instrument de recherche :
Multiple media (Électronique) This finding aid describes volumes 1 to 638. Volumes 1 to 372 include item-by-item lists of correspondence and legal documents. MSS1707 (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000320.pdf3,022, photographs, ca. 1840-1975 (accession 1977-040 NPC): (Papier) Index by subject, supplemental captions list and exhibition prints given by Shirley Woods located in 2000775638. Box contents list and subject index located in 326. FA-066Photographic materials (Électronique) Many of the accession level records list individual photographers and photographic studios (accessions 1986-026 NPC, 1989-309 DAP, 1993-246 DAP). These include such famous names as William Notman & Sons of Montreal. (Limites non établies)1,004 photographs, n.d., 1951-1986, predominant 1954-1979 (accession 1993-246 NPC): (Électronique) The accession records provides considerable detail on subjects as well as photographers.Cartographic materials, architectural and technical drawings: (Autre) Please consult lower level descriptions. Itemized listings are available, indexed by building type and architect. (90: Ouvert)11 oil and tempera paintings, one gouache, seven drawings, 48 engravings and lithographs and wood engravings, five photomechanical reproductions, one photograph of a drawing, 137 letterpress items, and one album of lithographed calendars, 1864-1937, predominant 1907-1946 (accession 1977-039 MED): (Électronique) Description on line, item level.Seven medals, a pair of cuff-links and one token, 1864-1937, predominant 1907-1946 (accession 1977-039 MED); one Eric Elsdale Molson commemorative plaque, 1915 (accession 1983-044 MED): (Électronique) Description on line, item level.Seven medals, a pair of cuff-links and one token (accession 1977-039 MED): (Papier) Medal inventory numbers 2533 to 2541.Eric Elsdale Molson commemorative plaque, 1915 (accession 1983-044 MED): (Papier) Medal inventory card: 12017.Molson Employees Association pinchback lapel badge, ca. 1986 (accession 1989-532 DAP): (Papier) Medal inventory card: 13895.Moving images (Électronique) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions. (Limites non établies)Sound recordings (Électronique) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions. (Limites non établies)
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
The accession file for 1977-018 (PIC), contains additional information on the graphic materials in this fonds. Significant portions of the material transferred from Manuscript were returned in June 1987. See hand-written list prepared by Susan Porteous, division registrar., An application for a building licence, 6 March 1911, signed by Herbert Molson, can be found in the Cartographic and Architectural collection file., The majority of the textual records were received from the Molson Companies Limited, Montreal, Que. between 1976 and 1992. Material relating to Baron Molson was received from Rt. Hon. Arthur Hugh Elsdale, Baron Molson, London, England, in 1983. Material relating to Senator Hartland Molson was received from Senator Hartland Molson, Montreal, Que. in 1993. The microfilm records were received from the McGill Archives, Montreal, Que. in 1993. The majority of graphic materials; cartographic records, architectural drawings, technical drawings and related materials; medallic items and related objects; moving images; and sound recordings were were acquired from the Molson Companies Limited, Montreal, Quebec. The 1,004 photographs, n.d., 1951-1986, predominant 1954-1979 (accession 1993-246 DAP) were acquired from the Molson Companies, Toronto, Ontario. Some of the non-textual materials were acquired from the Rt. Hon. Arthur Hugh Elsdale, Baron Molson, including one photograph, 1939 (accession 1983-218 NPC); and the Eric Elsdale Molson commemorative plaque, 1915 (accession 1983-044 MED). Some of the non-textual materials were acquired from Senator Hartland Molson, including 23 photographs, 1940-1985 (accession 1993-376 DAP); and ten architectural drawings, 1939-1954 (accession 81203/40 CA). The two paintings, one photolithograph and one photograph, ca. 1840-1885, (accession 1987-029 PIC) include some materials acquired from the family, and some acquired from the Molson Companies, Ltd.. Some of the published materials transferred to the Public Archives Library on 28 September 1983 were acquired from Lord Molson, and others from the Molson family. The Molson Companies Ltd. calendar, ca. 1939 (accession 1986-073 (PIC) was a gift from Clifford Carruthers of Kazabazua, Quebec, 22 May 1985.
- Note sur le classement :
- 1,004 photographs, n.d., 1951-1986, predominant 1954-1979 (accession 1993-246 DAP): Organized in seven series, arranged by subject/chronology or collection., A significant portion of this fonds was arranged by the Archivist-Historian of Molson Breweries in Canada, after transfer to the National Archives, to facilitate the addition of new accruals, transfers, etc.
- Note sur l'emplacement des originaux :
- Microfilm reels: Originals held at the McCord Museum and the McLennan Library, McGill University, Montreal.
- Note sur les dates de création :
- Microfilmed reels: Produced in 1989-1990 by McGill University Archives, McGill University, Montreal.
- Note sur l'emplacement des documents connexes :
Books and pamphlets: Transferred to the Public Archives Library on 28 September 1983, 12 February 1985, 15 March 1985, 21 May 1986, 23 December 1987. Transferred to the National Library on 4 June 1989, 22 June 1989, 30 June 1989., Molson calendar printing plates, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1939 (2), 1940, 1941, 1942, 1948, 1949, 1950, n.d. (2): Transferred to the Museum of Science and Technology., Plates for printing an image entitled Notre Dame St. in 1808, possibly for a Christmas card: Transferred to the Museum of Science and Technology., Numismatic items, including banknotes (Molsons Bank, 1916, 1922, acquired from the Rt. Hon. Arthur Hugh Elsdale, Baron Molson; Molsons Bank currency, 1853): Transferred to the National Currency Collection of the Bank of Canada on 28 September 1983., Some artifacts: Transferred to the History Division, Museum of Man., Miniature trowel commemorating the opening of Molsons Ontario Brewery, Toronto, 17 August 1955 and a cigarette lighter in the form of a beer cask, marked "Crown & Anchor 1954": Transferred to the Museum of Civilization on 28 July 1989.
- Vedette-matière :
- Montreal (Quebec) - Associations, institutions, etc
- Breweries - Canada, 1792-1977 Thomas Henry Pentland Molson, [1911-1978]
- Brewing industry - Canada, 1792-1977 Percival Talbot Molson, [1860-1975]
- Molson family, 1792-1977 Arthur Hugh Elsdale Molson (Baron Molson), [1860-1975]
- Business enterprises - Canada, 1792-1977 Herbert William Molson, [1860-1975]
- John H.R. Molson - Estate, 1897-1898 Walter Molson, [1860-1975]
- Thomas Molson - Estate, 1863-1869 Henry Markland Molson, 1897-1912
- Canada - Canadian Armed Forces, [1801-1910] Frederick William Molson, 1898-1935, 1941
- Yachts and yachting - Canada, [1801-1910, 1903-1973] McGill University (Montreal, Quebec), [1890-1967]
- Land - England, [1703-1912] Herbert Molson, [1890-1967]
- Land titles - Registration and transfer, [1703-1912] Mrs. Herbert Molson, [1860-1975]
- Land leases, [1703-1912] Curlew (Yacht), 1903-1973
- Land sales, [1703-1912] Pigeon and Company, [1789-1939, 1965]
- Mortgages, [1703-1912] Molsons Bank, [1789-1939, 1965]
- Antenuptial contracts, [1703-1912] North West Company, [1789-1939, 1965]
- Distilleries - Canada, [1789-1939, 1965] Nooya (Yacht), [1801-1910]
- Shipping - Canada, [1789-1939, 1965] Montreal (Quebec), [1801-1910]
- Sugar trade, [1789-1939, 1965] Andrew Shaw, [1767-1874]
- Kingston (Ont.) - Business enterprises, [1789-1939, 1965] John H.R. Molson and Brothers, 1861-1863, 1866-1892, 1906-1911
- Port Hope (Ont.) - Business enterprises, [1789-1939] Thomas and William Molson and Company, 1836-1861
- Herbert Molson - Career in the military, [1890-1967] John Molson and Sons, 1822-1829
- Harry Markland Molson, [1779-1912]
- John H.R. Molson, [1779-1912]
- William Molson, [1779-1912]
- Thomas Molson, [1779-1912]
- John II Molson, [1779-1912]
- John Molson, [1755-1912]
- John and William Molson, 1829-1836
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Photographs: No donor restrictions. Various copyrights on items created on or after 1 January 1949. Copyright expired on items created before 1 January 1949. Credit: Molson Archives / National Archives of Canada / copy negative no.
Cartographic materials, architectural and technical drawings and related materials: No donor restrictions. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
Paintings, drawings (including cartoons), prints, photomechanical reproductions, watercolours (incl. gouaches), letterpress items, albums of prints (incl. calendars), photographs of drawings and watercolours and paintings and prints (accessions 1989-406 DAP, 1987-029 PIC, 1982-019 PIC, 1989-478, 1985-058 PIC, 1977-018 PIC, 1986-073 PIC): No donor restrictions. Copyright: Various. Credit: National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Seven medals, a pair of cuff-links and one token, 1864-1937, predominant 1907-1946 (accession 1977-039 MED): To be determined. Copyright: Expired. Credit: National Archives of Canada / Accession 1977-039.
Eric Elsdale Molson commemorative plaque, 1915 (accession 1983-044 MED); Molson Employees Association pinchback lapel badge, ca. 1986 (accession 1989-532 DAP): No donor restrictions. Copyright: Expired. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Moving images: Reproduction and use require the written permission of copyright owner. Donor restrictions vary.
Sound recordings: Reproduction and use require the written permission of copyright owner. Donor restrictions vary.
- Date de modification :