Federated Women's Institutes of Canada fonds [multiple media]
Notice descriptive – Brève
Federated Women's Institutes of Canada fonds [multiple media]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- Référence :
- R2976-0-3-E, MG28-I316
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels, Documents photographiques, Objets (incluant les médailles et épinglettes), Timbres-poste et produits, Documents sonores
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Fonds comprend :
80 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
11.83 m of textual records.
637 photographs : 408 b&w and col. prints; 229 col slides.
13 audiocassettes (ca. 9 h, 30 min).
2 audio reels (30 min).
7 pins : enamel.
2 badges : enamel.
1 spoon : silver.
18 postage stamps.
2 postal covers.
- Langue du document :
- Portée et contenu :
Fonds consists of textual records arranged in following series: Associated Country Women of the World (A.C.W.W.); Federated Women's Institutes of Canada; Northern Canada Women's Institutes; Subject files; Manuscripts; and Printed material.
The fonds also contains photographic material depicting life members of F.W.I.C., 1919-1977; conventions and members of F.W.I.C. and A.C.W.W.; activities of the F.W.I.C. in England, ca. 1918-1970; and Mrs. Haggerty, president, and Miss Eddie, field worker, in officers of Women's Institute of Nova Scotia.
The fonds also contains sound recordings including a speech at the Second Annual Convention of the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada, June 19, 1961; speeches at the presentation of a gift by the Federated Women's Institutes to the Confederation Centre in Charlottetown, P.E.I., [ca. 1965]; interviews with F. McPherson, Mrs. Ilorice and Fulton of FWIC about their trip to the North West Territories and Yukon; Mrs. Bretish, S. Simon and F. McPherson about the Bushman story; Mrs. Teslin; a recording at the Montreal Diet Dispensary; messages of, and for, FWIC; a speech by Mrs. Bieluk on the status of women; and speeches at Fort Norman and at Aklavik.
The fonds also contains medallic and other objects, ca. 1900-ca. 1981 of two Federated Women's Institutes of Canada pins, one Life Member pin, one Northern Canada Women's Institute for Home and Country pin, one Associated Country Women of the World pin; one Ottawa coat of arms pin, one Saskatchewan sheaf of wheat pin, one Adelaide Hunter Hoodless commemorative spoon, one U.S.A. Women's National Farm and Garden Association Grace E. Fuysinger International Fellowship Exchange plaque, one tea towel, n.d.
Fonds also contains philatelic records consisting of one 1959 private issue cacheted first day cover commemorating the issuance of "The Associated Country Women of the World" 5 cents Canada postage stamp. One set of 18 postage stamps; and one envelope with letterhead, n.d.
- Provenance :
- Nom(s) additionnel(s) :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Federated Women's Institutes of Canada : The first Women's Institute was organized at Stoney Creek, Ontario, in February, 1897 by Mrs. Adelaide Hoodless (1857-1910). Similar Institutes were subsequently organized across Canada. Provincial representatives of these institutes met in Winnipeg in 1919 to form the Federated Women's Institutes of Canada. Judge Emily Murphy (1868-1933) was elected the first president. The objectives of the FWIC are to co-ordinate programmes of the provincial units; to provide a medium of intercommunication among the units; to promote an appreciation of rural living; to develop better informed, more responsible citizens through the study of issues of National and International importance, and to initiate nation-wide programmes in accordance with the objectives of the Federation. The Northern Canada Women's Institute began as a committee of the F.W.I.C. but by 1966 it had become large enough to hold its own convention and publish a magazine "Northern Lights Bulletin". The F.W.I.C. is also affiliated with the Associated Country Women of the World (est. 1933) and fully participates in the A.C.W.W.'s conventions and programmes.
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records (Papier) The finding aid is a file list. MSS1298 (90: Ouvert)Textual records (Électronique) MSS1298 (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000196.pdfPins, spoon, plaque: (Papier) Medal inventory cards: 10593 to 10601.Pins, spoon, plaque: (Électronique) Item level descriptions available on line in MINISIS.18 postage stamps, one envelope with letterhead, one tea towel:Descriptions available in accession binders. (Papier)Sound recordings: (Papier) See AV collection file for item level descriptions.
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
- At the request of the donor, 104 pages of the Book of Remembrance 1939-45 containing photographs of life members, are held by the Manuscript Division. Extra prints and copy negatives were retained by the National Photography Collection (accession 1982-001 NPC)., Textual records and the majority of the other materials: Received in 1980 from Emmie Oddie (President), in 1987 from the FWIC and in 1995 from Bernice Noblitt (President) of the FWIC.
- Historique de la conservation :
- The first day cover was forwarded by Mrs. Janet B. Morgan, Executive Secretary of the F.W.I.C. to the National Postal Museum (NPM accession 1983-004). It was acquired by the Canadian Postal Archives of the National Archives of Canada, initially, as part of accession 1989-565.
- Vedette-matière :
- Women's institutes - Canada, 1919-1980 Associated Country Women of the World, 1936, 1950-1975
- Women - Canada - Societies and clubs, 1919-1980 Northern Canada Women's Institutes, 1960-1979
- Women - Social conditions, [1919-1980] Adelaide Hoodless, [1919-1980]
- Women - Social life and customs, [1919-1980] Yukon, [1919-1980]
- Rural women - Canada, 1919-1980 Gertrude Webb Dunham, 1943
- Canada - Rural conditions, [1919-1980] Northwest Territories, [1919-1980]
- Governmental investigations - Canada, n.d., 1939-1977 FWIC, 1919-1980
- Women - Societies and clubs, 1919-1980 ACWW, [1919-1980]
- NCWI, [1919-1980]
- Newfoundland and Labrador WI
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
- Autre no d'acquisition :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Photographs: No donor restrictions. Various copyrights on items less than 50 years old. Copyright expired on items more than 50 years old. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Sound recordings: Reproduction and use in any form requires the written permission of the copyright holder.
Pins, spoon, plaque: No donor restrictions. Various copyrights on items less than 50 years old. Copyright expired on items more than 50 years old. Credit: National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Philatelic materials and object (tea towel): No donor restrictions. Various copyrights on items less than 50 years old. Copyright expired on items more than 50 years old. Credit: National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
- Date de modification :