William Parry fonds [textual record]
Notice descriptive – Brève1
William Parry fonds [textual record]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- Référence :
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Date(s) :
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
- 0.19 cm of textual records : transcripts.
- Langue du document :
- Portée et contenu :
Fonds consists of the following copied material: orders received by Captain William Parry, Commander of H.M.S. Kingston, 1757-1760 (ff. 40v-55v, 67-78). Two of Rear-Admiral Harrison's letters to the commander of H.M.S. Kingston are addressed to Captain Vaughan. Captain William Parry's journal of the siege of Louisbourg, 28 May - 26 July 1758 (ff. 82-88). A few official letters written by Captain William Parry, 12 April - 4 December 1760 (ff. 92-93v).
- Provenance :
- Nom(s) additionnel(s) :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Parry, William, fl. 1747-1761 : Officer in the Royal Navy. William Parry (fl. 1747-1761) was an officer in the Royal Navy. He was commander of H.M.S. Intrepid and H.M.S. Kingston, 1747-1761. From the information currently available, it seems likely that he was the William Parry (d. 1779), who was commissioned as a Lieutenant, 22 July 1738; Captain, 2 October 1744; Rear-Admiral of the Blue, 1763 (21 October 1762 in Charnock); Rear-Admiral of the Red, 18 October 1770; Vice-Admiral of the Blue, 24 October 1770; Vice-Admiral of the White, 31 March 1775; Vice-Admiral of the Red, 5 February 1776; and Admiral of the Blue, 29 January 1778. Louisbourg was the French fortress on the southeast of Ile Royale (Cape Breton, Nova Scotia). It was begun by the French in 1713, after they had ceded Newfoundland and Acadia to the British by the Treaty of Utrecht, and it became the capital of the colony in 1719. It was captured in 1745 by New England forces under William Pepperell (1696-1759), supported by the Royal Navy, but it was returned to France in 1748. In 1758, it was retaken by British forces under the command of Major-General Jeffery Amherst (1717-1797), and the fortifications were destroyed in 1760.
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records (Électronique) The finding aid provides a descriptive list of all the material copied from Egerton MSS. 2395, except ff. 199-201.provides a list of contents. Copies of the index cards prepared for the General Index, which serve as an index to the material, are with the papers. MSS0599-4 (90: Ouvert)
- Information additionnelle :
- Historique de la conservation :
- Additional Manuscripts 11813, which was added to the holdings of the British Museum (now the British Library) in 1841, contains the papers of Captain William Parry, which consist mainly of copies of the orders he received from the Admiralty and from superior officers while he was commander in H.M.S. Intrepid and H.M.S. Kingston, 1747-1761. In 1915, the National Archives of Canada transcribed a number of excerpts (ff. 40v-55v, 67-78, 82-88, 92-93v) that were of Canadian interest.
- Note sur l'emplacement des originaux :
- Originals with the British Library, London, England.
- Vedette-matière :
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
Vous pouvez réserver des documents à l'avance pour qu'ils soient disponibles lors de votre visite. Vous aurez besoin d'une carte utilisateur pour ce faire.
Vous ne pouvez pas nous rendre visite ? Vous pouvez acheter une reproduction qui vous sera envoyée. Certaines restrictions peuvent s'appliquer.
- Date de modification :