Joan Murray fonds [multiple media]
Notice descriptive – Brève
Joan Murray fonds [multiple media]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- [ca. 1890]-2007.
- Référence :
- R4917-0-1-E, MG31-D142
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels, Documents photographiques, Art, Documents sonores, Images en mouvement
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Fonds comprend :
10 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- [ca. 1890]-2007.
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
2.65 m of textual records.
359 prints. multiple techniques
273 audio reels.
598 audio cassettes.
1 audio disc.
80 video reels (ca. 44 h).
1 pin lapel pin.
1 other hand-made paper
- Langue du document :
- Portée et contenu :
This fonds consists of records related to Joan Murray's work and career in documentation Canadian art and artists. Included are the personal papers and research material of Joan Murray, arranged in the following series: Personal correspondence and personal records, 1949-2005; Interviews on Canadian art, 1972-1996; Canadian Artists of the Second World War, 1981; Mary Wrinch Reid material, 1929-1966; Clark McDougall material, n.d., 1943-1989; and Artists correspondence and exhibition notices, 1971-1989; Sounds recordings, 1971-1989; Graphic material, ca. 1890-2004; Moving images, 1957-1985; Writing and publishing, 1957-2007. In addition to personal papers and research material, the fonds also contains graphic material including greeting cards collected by and sent to Joan Murray, photographs of artwork and artists, portraits of Joan Murray created by different artists, and Canadian artists' exhibition notices. The fonds also consists of moving images and sound recordings on the subject of art in Canada. Included are oral history interviews, dictation, lectures, presentations, and radio and television programs. There are transcripts for the recorded interviews.
- Provenance :
- Nom(s) additionnel(s) :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Murray, Joan : Joan Murray was born in 1943 and educated at the University of Toronto and Columbia University. She worked as a research curator at the Art Gallery of Ontario, 1969, and was the first curator of Canadian art there from 1970 to 1973. Since 1974 she has been the Director of the Robert McLaughlin Gallery in Oshawa, Ontario. Throughout her career, Murray has written and lectured about Canadian art. She was visiting lecturer at York University between 1970 and 1975 and at Scarborough College, 1975-1976, and has since guest lectured across the country. She was an art critic on Toronto radio, 1977-1978, and co-host with Robert Fulford on CBC's "Arts National", 1976-1979. Murray was art editor of The Canadian Forum, 1970-1974. As well as producing an extraordinary number of exhibition catalogues during her career, including, for instance, Gordon Rayner Retrospective (1979), Windows and Doorways: Susan Scott, Denise Therrien, Victoria Walker (1979) and Painters Eleven in Retrospect (1979), Murray has written a number of books, including studies of the artists Frederick A. Verner, William Kurelek and Lawren Harris, and has edited the collected letters of artists William Blair Bruce and Pegi Nicol MacLeod.
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records (Électronique) Finding aid 1788 is a file list of the original material. Finding aid does not include newer material, see lower levels of description instead. MSS1788 (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000383.pdfMoving images: (Électronique) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions.Moving images: (Papier) See AV Collection file for transcripts prepared by donor, some artists biographies, and additional information.Sound recording: (Électronique) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions.Sound recording: (Papier) See AV Collection file for transcripts prepared by donor, and additional information.
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
- The interviews on Canadian art were transferred from the Moving Image and Sound Archives Division in 1987 and 1989. The rest of the papers were received from Joan Murray in 1983, 1989 and later. See accession records for more details.
- Note sur le classement :
- A reorganization of the papers in 1989 has resulted in some changes to the contents of each volume and to the numbering of the volumes; as well, exhibition catalogues were removed from the fonds and transferred to the library. A final reorganization in 2022 resulted in the creation of a new series, two new sub-series and some renaming. Photographs of artists or of Joan Murray with artists may not be consistently arranged.
- Vedette-matière :
- Kurelek, William
- Art historians Canada
- Art - Canada, 1929-1989 Pegi Nicol MacLeod, [1972-1987]
- Artists - Canada, 1929-1989 Group of Seven, [1972-1987]
- War artists - Canada, 1972-1987 Andre Bieler, [1972-1987]
- Art and war, 1972-1987 David Blackwood, [1972-1987]
- Art - Exhibitions,, 1929-1986 Molly Bobak, [1972-1987]
- Art, Canadian - Exhibitions, 1929-1986 John Boyle, [1972-1987]
- Art museum curators - Canada, 1969-1989 Dennis Burton, [1972-1987]
- Arts - Canada, 1929-1986 Jack Bush, [1972-1987]
- Mary Wrinch Ried - Notebooks, scrapbooks, etc., 1929-1936 A.J. Casson, [1972-1987]
- Graham Coughtry, [1972-1987]
- Ted Godwin, [1972-1987]
- Charles Goldhamer, [1972-1987]
- John Hall, [1972-1987]
- E.J. Hughes, [1972-1987]
- Anne Kanane, [1972-1987]
- Roy Kiyooka, [1972-1987]
- Rita Letendre, [1972-1987]
- Thoreau MacDonald, [1972-1987]
- Robert Markle, [1972-1987]
- Kazuo Nakamura, [1972-1987]
- Mary Pratt, [1972-1987]
- Harold Town, [1972-1987]
- "Canadian Artists of the Second World War", 1981
- Mary Wrinch Reid, 1929-1966
- George A. Ried, 1929-1966
- Florence Wyle, [1929-1966]
- National Gallery of Canada, [1929-1966]
- Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colour
- Ontario Society of Artist, [1929-1966]
- Clark McDougall, n.d., 1943-1989
- Walter Moos, [1943-1989]
- Jared Sable, [1943-1989]
- Mira Godard, [1943-1989]
- Alvin Bakkind, [1943-1989]
- Vancouver Art Gallery, [1943-1989]
- Harold Town, [1971-1989]
- Carmen Lamanna, [1971-1989]
- Colette Whitten, [1971-1989]
- Ralph Kelman, [1971-1981]
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Art: No restrictions on use. Various copyrights. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
Photographs: Some photographs are supplied for research purposes only. Exhibition, publication, or commercial use is prohibited. Various copyrights.
Moving images: The researcher is responsible for determining whether material is subject to copyright and for ascertaining the name of the person or organization holding the copyright. The researcher is also responsible for determining whether any use of copyrighted material does or does not constitute and infringement of copyright under the Copyright Act. Copyright waived on interviews : no donor restrictions : reproduction requires written permission of interviewee for 25 years from date of deposit. See individual items.
Sound recordings): Copyright varies. No donor restrictions. Reproduction with written permission of interviewee unless otherwise indicated. See individual items.
- Date de modification :