Alfred (Ben) Wicks fonds [multiple media]
Notice descriptive – Brève
Alfred (Ben) Wicks fonds [multiple media]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- Référence :
- R4348-0-9-E, MG31-D219
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels, Art, Images en mouvement, Timbres-poste et produits
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Lien vers cette page :
Le lien correspond à la page Web qui décrit ce document en particulier. Contrairement au lien temporaire de votre navigateur, celui-ci vous permettra à l’avenir d’accéder à cette page et de la citer comme référence. Pour établir un lien avec cette notice, copier-coller l’adresse URL à l’endroit désiré (dans un wiki, un blogue ou un document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=104804&lang=fra
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Fonds comprend :
112 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
7262 drawings multiple processes.
119 video reels (ca. 60 h).
30 cm of textual records.
1 postal cover.
- Langue du document :
- Portée et contenu :
Fonds consists of cartoons drawn by Ben Wicks for the Globe and Mail and other national newspapers; drawings for the syndicated strip "The Outcasts"; cartoon strips featuring the Wicks' characters "Mavis and Bill"; gag cartoons featuring "average" Canadians giving their views on a wide range of topics, including political issues; drawings for the book "101 Uses for the Royal Family"; and single drawings for various cartoons, 1970-1994. The fonds contains the personal papers of Ben Wicks, including manuscripts of published and unpublished books, n.d., 1976-1984; other manuscripts, relating to Canadian radio and television, n.d., 1972-1987; correspondence, 1960s-1991; and a few clippings, n.d. Also included are recorded television programs by Wicks for the CBC, 1970-1989. There is also a commemorative postal cover, "Canadian North Pole Taylor Expedition 1975."
- Provenance :
- Nom(s) additionnel(s) :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Wicks, Ben, 1926-2000 : Born in England in 1926, Ben Wicks married Doreen Curtis, a nurse, in 1957 and later that year they immigrated to Canada, initially settling in Calgary where Wicks worked as a milkman. Wicks had freelanced funnies to the London Daily Mirror before coming to Canada, but made his first sale as a cartoonist in Canada to The Saturday Evening Post in 1962. He subsequently provided the Calgary Albertan and other western newspapers with political cartoons and by the mid-sixties had moved to Toronto and joined the Toronto Telegram, which syndicated his drawings. In the late sixties Wicks' cartoons were syndicated to over fifty Canadian newspapers and a hundred American ones. During the late 1960s and early 1970s, Wicks also became involved in Canadian radio and television. He appeared regularly on CBC radio, as a guest on both Bruno Gerussi's morning show and Max Ferguson's afternoon show. He was host of the World of Wicks, a half-hour interview show on Global Television in the mid-seventies and also had a CBC television show in the late seventies. In 1975 Wicks began his long-running cartoon strip, "The Outcasts", on which his son Vincent, also a cartoonist, now works with him. Co-author with journalist Peter Worthington of a tongue-in-cheek cookbook, The Naked Gourmet (1970), Wicks published Ben Wicks Canada in 1976, the first in a series of humorous books incorporating his drawings and his own texts. It was followed by Ben Wicks Women (1977), Ben Wicks Book of Losers (1978), Ben Wicks Book of Etiquette (1980), More Losers (1982) and Ben Wicks Book of Dogs (1983). In 1988 Wicks departed from his usual style and published No Time To Wave Goodbye, a collection of reminiscences by former British schoolchildren evacuated from London during WW II, which was on the bestseller lists in both Canada and Britain. Wicks, who was himself an evacuee, published a second book on the same subject, The Day They Took the Children (1989). Wicks and his wife Doreen, a medical worker, have long been involved in charitable work in Canada. They are the founders of Global Ed-Med Supplies (GEMS), a Canadian non-profit organization which helps provide educational and medical supplies to developing countries. In 1986 the Wicks were behind the book Dear World: the Canadian Children's Project, a collection of artwork and writings by Canadian schoolchildren selected by Ben Wicks, assisted by Margaret Atwood, Pierre Berton, Mila Mulroney, Knowlton Nash, Maureen McTeer and others, and sold to raise money for GEMS. Ben Wicks who received the Order of Canada in 1986, died on September 10, 2000.
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records (Électronique) The Finding Aid is a descriptive file list of vols. 1-2. MSS1814 (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000396.pdfMoving images (Électronique) See MISACS for item level descriptions. (Limites non établies)
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
- Received in 1989 and 1991 from Ben Wicks, Toronto, Ontario. Some material was transferred from York University Archives and Special Collections, gifted by Ben Wicks.
- Vedette-matière :
- Alfred (Ben) Wicks - Manuscripts, n.d., 1972-1987 Ben Wicks Bible, [n.d., 1976-1984]
- Cartooning - Canada, 1968-1991 How to Protect Your Cat During a Nuclear Attack, [n.d., 1976-1984]
- Cartoonists - Canada, 1968-1991 Transplants, [n.d., 1976-1984]
- Caricatures and cartoons - Publishing, n.d., 1968-1987 Ben Wicks Canada, [n.d., 1976-1984]
- Caricatures and cartoons - Canada, [1968-1991] Ben Wicks Book of Losers, [n.d., 1976-1984]
- Authors, Canadian - Manuscripts, n.d., 1972-1987 Ben Wicks Book of Dogs, [n.d., 1976-1984]
- Alfred (Ben) Wicks - Authorship, n.d., 1972-1987 So You Want to be Prime Miniter, [n.d., 1976-1984]
- Politicians - United States, 1968-1971 Vietnam, [196-]-1989
- Television authorship, n.d., 1972-1987 Ireland, [196-]-1989
- Television programs - Canada, n.d., 1972-1987 Lyndon Baines Johnson, 1968-1971
- Radio scripts, n.d., 1972-1987 Pierre Elliott Trudeau, 1976
- Comedians - Canada, n.d., 1972-1987 Cardinal Emmett Carter, 1980
- Books - Canada, [196-]-1989
- Publishers and publishing - Canada, [196-]-1989
- Comedy programs - Canada, n.d., 1972-1987
- Decorations and honour - Canada, [1986-1989]
- Vietnamese Conflict, 1961-1975 - Missing in action, [196-]-1989
- Prime ministers Canada
- Premiers ministres Canada
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Drawings: On the majority of items, reproduction or use, for other than archival purposes, requires permission of the estate of the artist; on some items permission of Southam Syndicated Press is required. Copyright: Estate of Ben Wicks, Vince Wicks, or Southam Syndicated Press.
Sound recordings: Reproduction and use in any form requires the written permission of the copyright holders. Donor restrictions are to be determined.
Postal cover: No restrictions. Unknown copyright.
- Date de modification :