Papineau family collection [multiple media]
Notice descriptive – Brève
Papineau family collection [multiple media]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- Référence :
- R12320-0-5-E, MG24-B2
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels, Documents photographiques, Art, Dessins d'architecture et techniques, Cartes et documents cartographiques
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Collection comprend :
10 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- Équivalent bilingue :
- Lieu de création :
- Lieux divers
- Étendue :
2.80 m of textual records.
0.4 m of textual records : transcripts.
0.16 m of textual records : photocopies.
3 photograhs : glass plate.
1 portrait silhouette.
- Langue du document :
- Langue du document additionnelle :
- anglais, français
- Portée et contenu :
The collection is focussed on Louis-Joseph Papineau and his wife, but includes correspondence of Denis-Benjamin Papineau, his brother, and Louis-Joseph-Amédée Papineau, his son. The papers are varied: family, commercial, military, legal political, judicial and historical. Collection also consists of 3 copies on negative of glass of 2 portraits of Toussaint Papineau (1798-1869), priest of Pointe-aux-Trembles and a portrait of Augustin Papineau both brothers of Louis-Joseph Papineau. Collection also contains one portrait silhouette of Louis-Joseph-Amédée Papineau, July 1840, by Auguste Edouart. The series contain personal and political correspondence of Joseph, Denis-Benjamin, Louis-Joseph and Louis-Joseph-Amédée Papineau; legal and estate papers; transcriptions of historical documents made by Louis-Joseph Papineau; correspondence relating to the construction of a new church; "Journal d'un fils de la Liberté..." by Amédée Papineau; papers of the Seigneurie de la Petite-Nation; miscellaneous documents including an account book, drafts of legislation and a "guest book" for the Montebello Manor. One particular series contains correspondence between Andrew McDonald, his sister Marie-Louise, her husband, Casimir-Fidèle Papineau, and their daughter Mercedes.
- Provenance :
- Nom(s) additionnel(s) :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Papineau (family) : Joseph Papineau (1752-1841), seigneur of Petite-Nation, was a member of the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada, 1791-1810. His son, Louis-Joseph Papineau (1786-1871) was elected to the House of Assembly in 1809 and occupied the chair of Speaker almost constantly until the Rebellion of 1837-1838. Leader of the Reformers, he took no active part in the uprising but was obliged to flee to the United States. He later went to France, where he stayed until 1845. On his return, he sat again in the Legislative Assembly, 1848-1854, but not as leader of the party. His brother, Denis-Benjamin Papineau (1789-1854) did not share his political views and took no part in the Rebellion. He sat in the Legislative Assembly, 1842-1847, and was Commissioner of Crown Lands, 1844-1847. Louis-Joseph-Amédée Papineau (1819-1903), eldest son of Louis-Joseph, went into exile with his father in 1837 and studied law in the United States. On his return to Canada, he was named Pronotary of the Court of Queen's Bench. Casimir-Fidèle Papineau (1826-1892), son of Denis-Benjamin, was notary in Montréal; his daughter Mercedes married the musician Guillaume Couture (1851-1915).
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records: (Papier) The Finding Aid provides a chronologically-arranged listing of the correspondence and historical documents, with a brief description of the subjects and the names of authors for each item. The origin of each item is given where known. A table of contents is found at the beginning of volumes for which the Finding Aid provides no detailed listing. The introduction to the Finding Aid provides a microfilm shelf list. Both that list and the body of the Finding Aid are also available on microfilm reel C-15788. MSS0292 (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000001821.pdfTextual records: (Microforme) The microfilm shelf list and the body of the finding aid are available on microfilm reel C-15788. MSS0292 (90: Ouvert)Textual records: (Électronique) List of documents in volume 41. MSS0292 (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000052.pdfTextual records: (Électronique) List of documents in volume 42. MSS0292 (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000002139.pdfTextual records: (Électronique) List of documents in volumes 107-109. MSS0292 (90: Ouvert)
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
- The collection was assembled from diverse sources between 1922 and 2009. Substantial portions of the documents were presented by Miss Augustine Bourassa and Mrs. Angelita O'Neill, grand-daughters of Louis-Joseph Papineau, and Miss Françoise MacKay, grand-daughter of Denis-Benjamin Papineau. The glass plates of Toussaint and Augustin Papineau have been donated to National Archives by Anne Bourassa in 1999.
- Vedette-matière :
- Lower Canada - Politics and government, 1791-1841 Notre-Dame-de-Bonsecours, n.d
- Legislators - Canada, 1760-1915 Denis-Benjamin Papineau, [between 1760 and 1915]
- Politicians - Lower Canada, 1790-1841 Louis-Joseph Papineau, [between 1760 and 1915]
- Papineau family - Archives, 1760-1915 Pierre Dominique Debartzch, [between 1760 and 1915]
- Churches - Lower Canada - Construction, n.d. D.-B. Vigar, [between 1760 and 1915]
- Canada - History - Rebellion, 1837-1838 - Lower Canada, ca.1837-1855 Jonathan Sewell, [between 1760 and 1915]
- Seigniorial tenure - Lower Canada, ca.1810-1910 Wolfred Nelson, [between 1760 and 1915]
- Louis-Joseph-Amédée Papineau - Estate, ca.1810-1910 E.B. O'Callaghan, [between 1760 and 1915]
- J.A. Roebuck, [between 1760 and 1915]
- Perrault Louis
- Hommes politiques Canada
- Politicians Canada
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
The textual documents contained in volumes 1 to 40 have been microfilmed as a protective conservation measure and researchers must use the microfilms. Documents contained in volume 41 have been digitized.
Photographs: No restriction. Copyright: expired. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
Graphic material: art No restriction. Copyright: expired. Credit: Library and archives Canada.
- Date de modification :