Hazen Edward Sise fonds [multiple media]
Notice descriptive – Brève
Hazen Edward Sise fonds [multiple media]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- Référence :
- R4915-0-7-E, MG30-D187
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels, Documents photographiques, Art, Dessins d'architecture et techniques, Images en mouvement, Documents sonores, Objets (incluant les médailles et épinglettes)
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Fonds comprend :
18 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
9.14 m of textual records.
16,016 photographs : b&w and col.
11 architectural drawings.
3 film reels (48 min).
1 optical track (10 min).
1 magnetic track (10 min).
1 audio reel (2 h).
1 artefact moulded wax.
- Langue du document :
- Langue du document additionnelle :
- anglais, chinois
- Portée et contenu :
Fonds consists of family papers including genealogical records, correspondence, a logbook, financial and estate records, as well as clippings, 1734, 1761-1974; personal papers, 1914-1974; career files, 1939-1974; associations, 1941-1973; subject files, 1937-1974; and clippings, 1937-1974.
Fonds also contains photographs depicting events, activities, family members, and friends of Hazen Sise, [ca. 1850]-1973.
Fonds also consists of Christmas cards, postcards, silhouettes of family members, and portraits of Edward Size, [ca. 1920]-1960.
Fonds also includes architectural plans for the McCord Musseum, Montreal, the National Film Board, and the Hazen Sise residence, 1948-1959.
Fonds also includes a moulded wax silhouette portrait, [ca. 1780]; a Sir Charles Fitzpatrick Lieutenant-Governor of Quebec medal, ; and 3 masonic badges of Charles Fleetwood Sise.
In addition, fonds includes moving image and sound recordings. Included is a sound recording documenting an interview with Hazen Sise; and two war documentaries entitled Heart of Spain, and In memory of Dr. Bethune.
- Provenance :
- Nom(s) additionnel(s) :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Sise, Hazen, 1906-1974 : Hazen Edward Sise, born in Montreal, Quebec, was educated at the Royal Military College, McGill University School of Architecture, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology School of Architecture. Sise apprenticed with the influential Le Corbusier in Paris in 1930 and participated in the "Rejected Architects Exhibition" in New York City. He worked in Paris in 1931, then in London from 1933 to 1936. In December 1936, Sise met Dr. Norman Bethune and joined his Hispano-Canadian Blood Transfusion Institute in the Spanish Civil War. Returning to Montreal in November 1937, he became active in the Committee to Aid Spanish Democracy, the Friends of the Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion and H.W. Herridge's New Democracy Movement. In 1938-1939, Sise worked as a correspondent and photographer with The New World Illustrated, as well as authoring radio scripts for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. In 1941 he joined the National Film Board and served as the Film Officer attached to the Canadian Embassy in Washington, 1942-1943. In 1949 Sise joined the Montreal architectural firm of McDougall, Smith and Fleming. In 1954 he assisted in the formation of a co-operative practice which in 1955 became the partnership of Affleck, Desbarats, Dimakopoulos, Lebensold, Sise. Also known as ARCOP, the firm has been involved in several major architectural projects in Canada, including the Confederation Center in Charlottetown, the National Arts Center in Ottawa, and Place Bonaventure in Montreal. After retiring from ARCOP in 1968, Sise became a consultant on architectural heritage for the National Capital Commission.
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records (Électronique) The finding aid is a list of file titles. MSS0531 (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000001562.pdfArchitectural drawing (Électronique) An itemized listing is available for consultation and the accession has been indexed according to building type and architect. (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf002/p000003277.pdfPhotographs (Papier) 1974-266 : List of nitrate negatives and prints by item number range and a detailed list of photos taken at the Kingston Conference, 1941. Located in Photo A&R and the Reference Room. FA-177 : (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000002381.pdfMedal and badges: (Papier) Medal inventory card numbers. 11041, 12740, 12741, 12742Art: (Papier) Item level descriptions in black binder.Moving images: (Électronique) See MISACS for item-level descriptions.Moving images: (Papier) For additional information see AV Collection File, filed under the name of Jolanta Sise.Sound recording: (Papier) For additional information see AV Collection File.Photographs (Électronique) 1974-266 : Electronic version of list of nitrate negatives and prints by item number range. Located on Art & Photo S:drive under "Sise, Hazen". FA-177 : (90: Ouvert)
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
- The major portion of the papers were received in 1974 and 1975 from Hazen Sise of Montreal, Quebec. Additional material was received in 1974 from the National Capital Commission. Moving image material was received in 1975 from Jolanta Sise., See also horizontal storage.
- Vedette-matière :
- Espagne 1936-1939 (Guerre civile)
- Sise family - Genealogy, n.d., 1734, 1761-1974 Canadian Centenary Council. Community Improvement Programme, 1941-1973
- Architects - Canada, 19- International Congress of Modern Architecture, [after 1930]
- Pierce family, n.d., 1734, 1761-1974 Architectural Research Group (Montreal, Quebec), 1941-1973
- Porteous family, n.d., 1734, 1761-1974 Architectural Research Group (Ottawa, Ont.), 1941-1973
- Hazen Edward Sise - Diaries, 1914-1974 National Historic Sites, 1939-1974
- Hazen Edward Sise - Correspondence, 1914-1974 Canada. National Capital Commission, 1939-1974
- Hazen Edward Sise - Authorship, 1914-1974 Affleck, Desbarats, Dimokopoulos, Lebensold, Sise (Firm), 1939-1974
- Radio scripts, 1914-1974 McDougall, Smith & Fleming (Firm), 1939-1974
- Books - Reviews, 1914-1974 National Film Board of Canada, 1939-1974
- Speeches, addresses, etc., 1914-1974 New World Illustrated, 1939-1974
- Architectural firms - Canada, 1939-1974 ARCOP, 1939-1974
- Associations, institutions, etc. - Canada, 1941-1973 C.E.L. Porteous, 19-
- Associations, institutions, etc. - United States, 1941-1973 Charles F. Sise, 19-
- Community - Planning, 1941-1973 Norman Bethune, 1914-1974
- Trade and professional associations - Canada, 1941-1973
- Trade and professional associations - United States, 1941-1973
- Architecture - Societies, etc., 1941-1973
- Architecture - Conservation and restoration, 1941-1973
- Housing, 1937-1974
- Montreal (Quebec) - Associations, institutions, etc
- Spain Civil War, 1936-1939
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
- Autre no d'acquisition :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Photographs: No restrictions on use or reproduction, except those by photographs by Y. Karsh. For Karsh photographs, see accession 1987-054. Various copyright on items less than 50 years old; copyright expired on items more than 50 years old. Credit: name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / copy negative nunmber.
Artistic material: No restrictions on use or reproduction. Various copyrights. Credit: National Archives of Canada. Items must be consulted under close supervision for conservation purposes.
Moving images and sound recordings: Reproduction and use in any form, for material in accession 1975-0256, requires the written permission of the copyright holder and of the Bethune Memorial Committee. Reproduction and use requires a charitable donation to the Bethune Memorial Committee. Reproduction of material in accession 1975-0160 requires written permission of copyright owner and written permission of donor.
Badges and medal: No restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright expired. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
- Date de modification :