Richard Albert Bell fonds [multiple media]
Notice descriptive – Brève
Richard Albert Bell fonds [multiple media]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- 1855, 1927-1989.
- Référence :
- R3758-0-3-E, MG32-B1
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels, Documents photographiques, Documents sonores, Images en mouvement
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Lien vers cette page :
Le lien correspond à la page Web qui décrit ce document en particulier. Contrairement au lien temporaire de votre navigateur, celui-ci vous permettra à l’avenir d’accéder à cette page et de la citer comme référence. Pour établir un lien avec cette notice, copier-coller l’adresse URL à l’endroit désiré (dans un wiki, un blogue ou un document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=98363&lang=fra
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Fonds comprend :
15 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- 1855, 1927-1989.
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
32.794 m of textual records.
330 photographs : negative, b&w & col.
ca. 7 film reels (2 h, 15 min).
1 audio disc (2 min).
- Langue du document :
- Portée et contenu :
Fonds consists of records relating to Richard Bell's career and some personal papers. The records are divided into 11 textual series and one series of oversize (horizontal) material: Pre-Parliamentary Series, which is comprised of material from his university education and the P.C. Party; Carleton Constituency Files; 1st Parliamentary Series; Reference Series; 2nd Parliamentary Series; Department of Citizenship and Immigration Series, including individual immigration case files, Indian Affairs policy, subject and case files, and material from the National Film Board, National Gallery, and Public Archives-National Library; Legal Series; Cancer Series, relating to Bell's involvement with the Canadian Cancer Society; Speech Series; Post-Parliamentary Series; and Scrapbooks. Volumes 180 to 194 consist of horizontal files. Fonds also contains photographic material depicting Richard Albert Bell's political career; a panoramic group photograph of unidentified delegates to the Conservative Forum, Trinity College, Port Hope, Ontario, 7 September 1942; portraits of Richard A. Bell. Also included are documentaries recording the activities of Progressive Conservative personalities throughout their public lives. George A. Drew and John Bracken are singled out in the films Statesman in the making and John Bracken Canadian. Other films include: Life and death of pay packet; District committee room; World of plenty; and Equality for agriculture, [ca. 1940-1949]. Fonds also includes one sound recording of an election campaign message by John P. Robarts, Premier of Ontario, 1967.
- Provenance :
- Nom(s) additionnel(s) :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Bell, Richard Albert, 1913-1988 : Richard Albert Bell, Cabinet Minister, was born September 4 in Britannia Heights, Ontario, on property settled by his great-grandfather in 1818. He attended Nepean High School before graduating from the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall Law School. He was called to the Ontario bar in 1938. A senior partner in Bell, Baker, Thompson, Oyen and Webber, he devoted many years of service to the Progressive Conservative Party. His political appointments include: assistant private secretary to the Minister of National Revenue, 1934-1935; assistant Dominion organiser of the P.C. Party in the 1935 election; Secretary to the Leaders of the Opposition, 1938-1943; National Director of the P.C. Party, 1943-1949; Chairman of the National Campaign Committee, 1952-1953; and Chairman of the P.C. National Convention in Ottawa, 1956. He was first elected to the House of Commons (Carleton) in the 1957 general election. Mr. Bell was re-elected in 1958 and 1962, but was defeated in the 1963 election. He was re-elected in 1965 but defeated in 1968 in the newly created constituency of Ottawa West. During his parliamentary career he held the following positions: Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Finance, 1957-1959; Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Finance, 1959-1962; and Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, 1962-1963. Not considering the above to be too heavy a work load, Mr. Bell was also active in many other areas. These include: Bencher, Law Society of Upper Canada, 1956-1961; President Carleton County Law Association, 1957-1958; Member of the Ontario Law Reform Commission, 1964-1986; Board of Directors, Queensway-Carleton Hospital, 1972-1983; President, Ontario Division Canadian Cancer Society, 1974-1975; Board of Governors, Carleton University, 1974-1983; and Board of Directors, Ontario Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation, 1974-1987.
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records (Électronique) Finding Aid No. 460 is arranged by series, in rough chronological order. The files therin are arranged alphabetically by subject. The only exception being the Department of Citizenship and Immigration series, where the departmental alpha-numeric filing system has been retained. MSS0460 (90: Ouvert)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000070.pdfMoving images (Électronique) See MISACS for item level descriptions. (Limites non établies)
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
- Volumes 1-130 and 179, were donated to the National Archives by Mr. Bell between 1961 and 1972, with the bulk of the material arriving in 1968 upon Mr. Bell's retirement from politics. Volumes 104-178 were willed to the National Archives in 1988. Volumes 180-194 were created from horizintal files. Photographs were received from Mr. Richard A. Bell and Mrs. Ruth Bell.
- Vedette-matière :
- Canada - Officials and employees
- Legislators - Canada, , 1927, 1930-1989 Canada. Dept. of Citizenship and Immigration, 1962-1963
- Cabinet ministers - Canada, [1855, 1927, 1930-1989] John Diefenbaker, [1951-1972]
- Richard Albert Bell - Career in politics and government, 1927, 1930-1989 National Film Board, 1957-1963
- Ontario - Politics and government, 1957-1968 Canada. Public Archives, 1957-1963
- Canada. Parliament - Elections, 1957-1968 Canada. National Library, 1957-1963
- Canada. Parliament - Election districts, 1957-1968 Bell, Baker, Thompson, Oyen and Webber, 1948-1988
- Elections - Canada - Carleton (Ont.), 1957-1968 Ontario Law Reform Society, 1955-1988
- Political parties - Canada, 1927, 1930-1989 Upper Canada Law Society, 1955-1988
- Progressive Conservative Party of Canada - Platforms, 1957-1968 Canadian Cancer Society, 1965-1988
- Progressive Conservative Party of Canada - History, [1927, 1930-1989] Ontario Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation, 1958-1988
- Education, Higher - Canada, 1930-1956 Carleton University (Ottawa, Ont.), [1948-1989]
- Law - Study and teaching, [1930-1956] Queensway-Carleton Hospital (Nepean, Ont.), [1948-1989]
- Canada - Emigration and immigration, 1955-1963
- Bribery - Canada, [1951-1972]
- Opposition (Political Science) - Canada, 1927, 1950-1968
- Political leadership - Canada, [1951-1972]
- National Capital Region (Canada), [1927, 1950-1968]
- Citizenship - Canada, 1942-1966
- Indians of North America - Canada - Government relations - 1951- , 1955-1963
- Indians of North America - Canada - Education, 1955-1963
- Law firms - Canada, 1948-1988
- Ottawa (Ont.) - Law firms, 1948-1988
- Lawyers - Ontario, 1948-1988
- Law - Ontario, 1948-1988
- Lawyers - Societies, etc., 1955-1988
- Cancer - Ontario, 1958-1988
- Medical care - Canada, 1948-1988
- Politicians - Retirement, [1855, 1934, 1948-1989]
- Ottawa (Ont.) - Universities and colleges, [1948-1989]
- Election campaigns - Canada, 1957-1968
- Political conventions - Canada
- Speeches, addresses, etc., Canadian
- Hommes politiques Canada
- Politicians Canada
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Photographs: no restrictions on use or reproduction. Various copyrights. Credit: name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / copy negative number.
Moving images and sound recordings: Reproduction and use in any form requires the written permission of the copyright holders.
- Date de modification :