Paul Alfred fonds [graphic material, object]
Notice descriptive – Brève
Paul Alfred fonds [graphic material, object]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- 1885-[ca. 1931].
- Référence :
- Genre de documents :
- Art, Objets (incluant les médailles et épinglettes)
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Lien vers cette page :
Le lien correspond à la page Web qui décrit ce document en particulier. Contrairement au lien temporaire de votre navigateur, celui-ci vous permettra à l’avenir d’accéder à cette page et de la citer comme référence. Pour établir un lien avec cette notice, copier-coller l’adresse URL à l’endroit désiré (dans un wiki, un blogue ou un document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=140727&lang=fra
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Fonds comprend :
71 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- 1885-[ca. 1931].
- Lieu de création :
- Étendue :
53 prints chiefly posters, photochemical reproductions, some etching and drypoint.
13 watercolours multiple processes.
5 drawings pen and brush and black ink over pencil, brown crayon over pencil.
1 painting tempera 28.2 x 39.1 cm.
1 medal silver.
- Langue du document :
- Langue du document additionnelle :
- anglais, français
- Portée et contenu :
Fonds consists of artistic material created by Paul Alfred, also known as Alfred Ernest Meister, including views of the Byward Market, Ottawa, Ont., ca. 1920-1928; an omnibus (horse-drawn bus) on early Sparks Street, Ottawa, ca. 1920; view of Russell House Hotel in downtown Ottawa, 1923; a scene in the Byward Market entitled "Slattery's Corner", 1925; postcards created for the Provincial Capital Series, ca. 1921-1926; cover and layout designs for various tourist and Natural Resources publications commissioned by the Natural Resources Branch of the Department of the Interior, ca. 1921-1931; illustrations for informative pamphlets, ca. 1921-1931; various illustrations of maps including that of Nova Scotia surrounded by icons of natural resources, a map of camps in Alberta, and miniature maps of regions in Ontario, Saskatchewan, Québec, the Arctic, and the Maritime Provinces, ca. 1921-1931; and several advertisements. All works by Paul Alfred. Also included in this fonds is a silver North-West Canada medal with suspension mount and "Saskatchewan" clasp.
- Provenance :
- Nom(s) additionnel(s) :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Alfred, Paul, 1892-1959 : Paul Alfred (pseudonym of Alfred Ernest Meister) (1892-1959), was born at Hanley, Staffordshire, England, to Mr. and Mrs. John E. Meister. He was educated at Hanley's Northwood National School from 1896 to 1906, and the Polytechnic School of Art at Hanley between 1902 and 1906. Thereafter, he emigrated to Canada. In 1920, Alfred returned to England where he studied at the Chelsea Polytechnic in London. Upon completion of his degree, he returned to Canada where he became employed as a publicity artist for the Natural Resources Branch of the Department of the Interior from 1921 to 1931. Alfred served overseas in the Royal Canadian Electrical Mechanical Engineers from 1940 to 1945, and later with the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps., Department of National Defence. A painter of landscape and genre, and illustrator of government publications, Alfred became well known for his work in several mediums, particulalry that of watercolour. During his lifetime, his work exhibited in a number of group shows including: the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley, London, England, 1924-1925; the First Pan American Exhibition, Los Angeles, California, 1925-1926; Exposition d'Art Canadien, Musée du Jeu de Paume, Paris, France, 1927; and the London exhibit "A Century of Canadian Art", in 1938. He was a member of the Ontario Society of Artists (1925), a Charter Member of the Canadian Society of Painters in Water Colour (1925), and member of the Canadian Society of Graphic Art. Alfred died in Ottawa at the age of sixty-seven, survived by his widow, Irene Meister (née Paul), and two sons, C. Arthur Meister and John E. Meister. MacDonald, Colin S., comp. A Dictionary of Canadian Artists. Vol 1. Ottawa: Canadian Paperbacks Publishing Ltd., 1925. MacDonald, Colin S., comp. A Dictionary of Canadian Artists. Vol 1, 5th ed. Ottawa: Canadian Paperbacks Pub., 1997.
- Instrument de recherche :
Graphic material: (Électronique) Item-level descriptions available online in MINISIS.Object: (Électronique) Item-level descriptions available online in MINISIS.Object: (Papier) Medal inventory card 6841. 6841
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
- Material acquired from various sources. Artistic material in accessions 1992-465X (DAP), 1992-496X (DAP), 1993-152X (DAP), and 1992-492X was acquired from James Wilson & Company Galleries, Sparks Street, Ottawa, Ont. in 1923, 20 April 1925, 1930, and [ca. 1940]. Medallic object was acquired from Paul Alfred, Ottawa, Ont. in 1950. Material in accession 1976-090 (PIC) was acquired 12 November 1976 from the Estate of Edith Devlin, Ottawa, via the Canada Permanent Trust Co.: Canada Permanent Mortgage Corporation in Ottawa. Material in accession 1996-454 (DAP) was acquired from Reeve-MacKay & Associates Ltd., Ottawa in 1996.
- Note sur les autres formats physiques disponibles :
- The following item from accession 1996-454 (DAP) has been digitized: C-146451 (ICON)., The following item from accession 1976-090 (PIC) has been digitized: C-110929 (ICON).
- Groupes de documents reliés :
- For additional works by Paul Alfred see also "Joan Murray collection" (Accession number 1991-012 DAP); and "Canada, Department of the Interior Fonds" (Accession number 1994-316X DAP).
- Source :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Graphic material: Documents must be consulted under the supervision of an art archivist for conservation purposes. Various copyrights exist. Copyright predominantly held by the Estate of Paul Alfred. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Object: No restrictions on use. Researcher is responsible for determining whether material is subject to copyright, for ascertaining the name of the person or organization holding copyright, and for determining whether any use of copyrighted material does or does not constitute an infringement of copyright under the Copyright Act.
- Date de modification :