Joseph Vincent Jacobson and family fonds [multiple media]
Notice descriptive – Brève
Joseph Vincent Jacobson and family fonds [multiple media]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- Référence :
- R4922-0-3-E, MG31-D153
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels, Documents photographiques, Documents sonores, Objets (incluant les médailles et épinglettes), Images en mouvement
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Lien vers cette page :
Le lien correspond à la page Web qui décrit ce document en particulier. Contrairement au lien temporaire de votre navigateur, celui-ci vous permettra à l’avenir d’accéder à cette page et de la citer comme référence. Pour établir un lien avec cette notice, copier-coller l’adresse URL à l’endroit désiré (dans un wiki, un blogue ou un document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=103974&lang=fra
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Fonds comprend :
60 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
70 cm of textual records.
1,370 photographs chiefly col.
4 buttons bronze.
10 audio reels.
4 audio discs.
1 film reel (4 min, 13 s).
- Langue du document :
- Portée et contenu :
Fonds consists of textual records related to Joseph Vincent Jacobson's career as an educator and to Natalie Jacobson, née Rattai, with files on Northern education, Language School Centennial Towers, personnel training courses, and personal papers of Joseph Jacobson, and a copy of Looking back: Lydia (Buckholts) Rattai, by Natalie Jacobson.
Fonds also contains 1,370 photographic positives and negatives, ca. 1950-1973, related to education and training in the Indian and Inuit schools of northern Canada, Alaska and Greenland; views of Mount Edgecombe; a picture of Mr. and Mrs. J.V. Jacobson with Governor-General and Mrs. Roland Michener. photographs by UPI, Studio Marcel and Yellowknife Photo Studio.
Fonds also contains sound recordings of French and German language lessons; English writing lessons; Yellowknife Curriculum Broadcast; German language course manuals.
Also included is a film of Northwest Territories Summer School for Teachers, 1953.
Fonds also contains four buttons emblazoned with the crest of the Northwest Territories, taken from the jacket worn by John Vincent Jacobson as Superintendant of Education in the Northwest Territories from 1951 to 1960. A Macmillan school atlas by Ronald C. Daly is also included.
- Provenance :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Jacobson, Joseph Vincent, (1913-1983) family : Joseph Jacobson (1913-1983), born in Iowa, immigrated to Alberta with his parents while still a child. He attended the universities of Alberta and Syracuse graduating with the degree of Master of Education. He taught for 20 years in Alberta as a teacher, principal and assistant superintendant. He was appointed Superintendent of Education in the Northwest Territories in 1951 and served in the post until 1960. He had previous experience in the North during World War II while working on the Canol Project. During his term of office as Superientendent he travelled over Northern Canada inspecting schools. He also visited schools in Greenland and Alaska to study their systems as 80% of his students were Inuit or Indian. During the summer he operated a summer school for teachers in Yellowknife. In 1960 he was appointed Personnel Research Officer in the Department of Indian and Northern affairs. From 1963 to 1967 he was Principal of the Department's Language school where he helped to establish methods of language training for adults. He has written 3 books on such topics as teaching in the North and on adult education, including The Eskimo: a unit for elementary grades, ca. 1961, Adapting the school curriculum to the community, 1962, and Community Schools: Northern style, 1960. Natalie Rattai (b. 1922) married Mr. Jacobson in 1940. Her family emigrated from the Ukraine to Mannville Alberta in 1910. She wrote a family history entitled "Looking Back" which concerns her family's life as pioneers in Alberta. In 1966 she was awarded a C.K.P.M. Citizen of the Week award by the Mayor of Ottawa for her help to foreign students in Ottawa.
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records: (Papier) The finding aid is a descriptive file list. MSS1496Buttons: (Papier) Medal inventory cards: 12073, 12074, 12075, 12076.Buttons: (Électronique) Item level descriptions online.Moving images: (Électronique) See MISACS for item level descriptions.
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
- Received in 1983 from Mrs. J.V. Jacobson of Ottawa, Ont.
- Note sur l'emplacement des documents connexes :
- Publications on education in the Canadian North, the Philipines, etc.; language education, personnel manuals, etc.; courses in how to answer a phone, write a letter, etc. were transferred to Government Documents.
- Vedette-matière :
- Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc., - Yukon Territory, [1951-1973] Summer School for Northern Teachers (Yelowknife, N.W.T.), 1951-1973
- Education - Yukon Territory, [1951-1973] Canada. Dept. of Indian and Northern Affairs, 1964-1966
- Education - Northwest Territories, [1951-1973] Dealing with People, 1969-1970
- Indians of North America - Northwest Territories - Schools, 1951-1973 Meeting the Public by Telephone, 1969-1970
- Indians of North America - Northwest Territories - Education, 1951-1973 University of Alberta (Edmonton, Alta.), [1938-1968]
- Indians of North America - Yukon Territory - School, 1951-1973 Ottawa (Ont.), [1938-1968]
- Indians of North America - Yukon Territory - Education, 1951-1973 Looking Back: Lydia (Buckholts) Raltai, 1983
- Inuit - Yukon Terrritory - Schools, 1951-1973 Kiev (Ukraine), n.d
- Inuit - Yukon Territory - Education, 1951-1973 Ukraine, n.d
- Inuit - Northwest Territoties - Schools, 1951-1973
- Inuit - Northwest Territories - Education, 1951-1973
- Teachers - Canada, 1938-1983
- Educators - Canada, 1938-1983
- Manville (Alta.) - Farms, n.d
- Manville (Alta.) - Farmers, n.d
- Jacobson family, 1938-1983
- Raltai, Natalie - Manuscripts, 1983
- Baptismal records - Ukraine, n.d
- Lutheran Church - Ukraine, n.d
- Teachers - Training of - Northwest Territories, [1951-1973]
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
- Autre no d'acquisition :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Photographs: No restrictions. Various copyrights on items less than 50 years old. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Sound recordings and moving images: reproduction and use in any form requires the written permission of the copyright holder.
Buttons: No restrictions. Copyright is unknown. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
- Date de modification :