Ernest Thompson Seton fonds [multiple media]
Notice descriptive – Brève
Ernest Thompson Seton fonds [multiple media]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Date :
- Référence :
- R7616-0-7-E, MG29-D108
- Genre de documents :
- Documents textuels, Documents photographiques, Art, Timbres-poste et produits, Documents sonores, Cartes et documents cartographiques
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et fonds
- No d’identification :
- Lien vers cette page :
Le lien correspond à la page Web qui décrit ce document en particulier. Contrairement au lien temporaire de votre navigateur, celui-ci vous permettra à l’avenir d’accéder à cette page et de la citer comme référence. Pour établir un lien avec cette notice, copier-coller l’adresse URL à l’endroit désiré (dans un wiki, un blogue ou un document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=101709&lang=fra
- Contexte de cette notice :
Notice descriptive – Détails
- Fonds comprend :
82 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
6.2 m of textual records.
1220 photographs 1203 b&w.
118 drawings pen and ink, pencil.
84 postal covers.
1 audio cassette (ca. 3 min).
- Langue du document :
- Portée et contenu :
Fonds consists of the following series: biographical and autobiographical material; various writings by Seton; correspondence; material concerning the Woodcraft League of America; Boy Scouts of America; North American Indians; Seton Village; Julia Moss Seton; and other material. Also included are photographs of groundbreaking ceremonies at the E.T. Seton Memorial Library and Museum; his various activities including the Boyscouts of America and Woodcrafters League of America; family and friends; animals in their natural habitats; and Indian bands. Fonds also consists of 113 sketches by Seton for his publication "The Arctic Prairies: A Canoe Journey of 2000 Miles in Search of Caribou"; 2 portraits of Seton by unknown artists; and 2 miscellaneous drawings. Fonds also consists of miscellaneous Canadian, American and British postal covers. Fonds also consists of a sound recording of a lecture by Seton broadcast by Radio Prague during a lecture tour of European countries in 1936. Fonds consists of maps produced by Ernest Thompson Seton and others during an expedition to the Northwest Territories in 1907 as well as maps of western Canada and the western United States.
- Provenance :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Seton, Ernest Thompson, 1860-1946 : Ernest Thompson Seton was born in England in 1860 and came to Canada in 1866. The family attempted farming but moved to Toronto in 1870. There Seton cultivated his interest in nature, studied classics at the Toronto Collegiate Institute, and took evening classes at the Ontario Art School, where he won a gold medal. He later studied at the Royal Academy in England, 1879-1882. He spent the next eight years homesteading with a brother on the Upper Assiniboine and undertook various zoological and hunting expeditions. He published Birds of Manitoba and Mammals of Manitoba, and became the province's government naturalist. During two visits to New York city in 1883 and 1885, he found employment as an illustrator of animals. In 1890-1891 he studied at the Julian Academy in Paris. His success in trapping a New Mexico wolf who was terrorizing ranchers, secured his reputation as hunter and naturalist wise in animal ways. In 1896 he published Studies in the Art Anatomy of Animals. Returning to New York, he began a prolific writing career. His account of trapping Lobo, "Lobo, King of Currumpaw", had won him fame in 1894. His book, Wild Animals I have Known, 1898, made him a celebrity and led to acquaintance with figures such as Rudyard Kipling and Teddy Roosevelt. He began lecturing across North America on nature, animals and North American Indians. In 1907, he led an expedition into the Canadian Arctic, and discovered the Earl Grey River. In 1918-1924 he researched, wrote and illustrated 8 volumes of Game Animals and the Lives They Lead, earning him the J. Burroughs Medal in 1926, and the D.G. Elliot Medal in 1928 from the American Museum of Natural History. He founded the Woodcraft League of America, to lead boys to spiritual communion with nature through outdoor activity. Seton also chaired the founding meeting of the Boy Scouts of America in 1910 and served as the Chief Scout of America, 1910-1915, despite differences between Seton and R.S. Baden-Powell, founder of Boy Scouts. In 1930 Seton established the Seton Institute to produce recreational leaders schooled in Indian lore, religion and crafts, and became active in the defence of American Indians. See: The Canadian Encyclopedia, 1985, p. 1680.
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records: (Électronique) The finding aid is a descriptive file list. MSS1694Photographs: (Papier) Finding aid is a list of folders and contents (for accession 1986-190). FA-376Drawings: (Électronique) Some item level descriptions are available in the MINISIS database.Drawings: (Papier) Item level descriptions are available in the artist file.Sound recording: (Électronique) See MISACS for item level description.Sound recording: (Papier) See AV collection file for a transcript of the lecture.Cartographic material (Papier) Finding aids consists of an itemized listing. Seton, Ernest Thompson 86702/1050; 87802/429. Finding aids are available in the main reference room. (90: Ouvert)
- Information additionnelle :
- Note générale :
- Received in 1986 from Dee Seton-Barber of Santa Fe, N.M., and in 1991 from the Woodcraft League of Czechoslovakia.
- Note sur l'emplacement des documents connexes :
- Additional Seton material, including illustrations and papers, is in the Ernest Thompson Seton Memorial Museum at the Philmont Boy Scout Reservation, Cimarron, New Mexico. Thirty-eight volumes of his journals, sold at auction by his wife's direction in 1965, are held in the Rare Book Room of the American Museum of Natural History, New York City. There are also published compilations of his writings.
- Vedette-matière :
- Boy Scouts
- Seton family - Genealogy, [1792-1981] Lives of Game Animals, [1882-1945]
- Nature study, [1882-1945] Dee Seton-Barber, [1876-1964]
- Authors, Canadian, [1823-1960] Julia Moss Buttree, 1921-1974
- Philosophy of nature, [1882-1945] Miller Christy, 1891-1915
- Nature (Aesthetics), [1882-1945] Hudson Bay, [1891-1915]
- English language, 1885-1924] Woodcraft League of America, n.d., 1904-1982
- Nature, [1882-1945] Boy Scouts of America, n.d., 1907-1980
- Natural history illustration, [1882-1945] Seton Village, College of Indian Wisdom, 1909-1980
- Naturalists - Canada, [1823-1960]
- Nature in literature, [1882-1945]
- Natural history, 1882-1945
- Arctic regions - Discovery and exploration, 1882-1945
- Expeditions - Canada, 1882-1945
- Canada - Exploring expeditions, 1882-1945
- Nature stories, [1882-1945]
- Fables, [1882-1945]
- Anthropomorphism, [1882-1945]
- Animals - War use, [1882-1945]
- Lectures and lecturing, 1882-1945
- Ernest Thompson Seton - Friends and associates, [1881-1961]
- Authors and publishers, 1895-1965
- Indians of North America - Religion and mythology, [1921-1974]
- Indians of North America - Social life and customs, [1891-1963]
- Recreational leaders - Canada, 1909-1980
- Publishers and publishing, [1792-1980]
- Education - Curricula, [1909-1980]
- Dogs - War use, 1882-1945
- Fur farming, [1885-1924]
- Wilderness survival, [1885-1924]
- Indians of North America - Folklore, [1891-1963]
- Indians of North America - Sign language, [1891-1963]
- Indians of North America - Dances, [1921-1974]
- Mammals, [1882-1945]
- Wolves, [1882-1945]
- Source :
- Ancien no de référence archivistique :
Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
Photographs: No restrictions on use or reproduction. Various copyrights on items less then 50 years old. Copyright is expired on items more then 50 years old.
Drawings: No restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright expired. Credit: National Archives of Canada. Documents must be consulted under close supervision due to conservation reasons.
Postal covers: No restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright unknown. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Sound recording: Reproduction and use in any form requires the written permission of the copyright holder.
Textual records: Copyright inquiries may be directed to Mr. R. Dale Barber, 1492 Bristol Caverns Highway Bristol, TN, USA, 37620.
Cartographic material: Credit Library and Archives Canada. No restrictions on access or reproduction.
- Date de modification :