Khayyam Zev Paltiel fonds [textual record, graphic material, sound recording]
Record Information – Brief1
Khayyam Zev Paltiel fonds [textual record, graphic material, sound recording]Hierarchical level:FondsDate:1874-1989.Reference:R2759-0-0-E, MG30-E519Type of material:Textual material, Photographs, Sound recordingsFound in:Archives / Collections and FondsItem ID number:99817Context of this record:
Record Information – DetailsFonds includes:6 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)Date(s):1874-1989.Place of creation:OntarioExtent:5.15 m of textual records.
4 photographs b&w.
1 audio reel (47 min).Language of material:EnglishScope and content:Fonds consists of the following series of textual records: General and personal correspondence; affiliations files on professional organizations in which Paltiel participated; research files on the Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism, election expenses (including the federal Advisory Committee on Election Expenses), party finance, political broadcasting, his Ph.D. thesis on the Progressive Party in Israel, consulting work, and Paltiel's speaking and writing engagements; material on his education at McGill and the University of Toronto; files on his academic and teaching career at Carleton University; personal and posthumous papers.
Fonds contains of photographs, ca. 1963-1987, including a passport photograph of Khayyam Zev Paltiel; others depicting Paltiel seated with an unidentified man; a portrait of the Colombo Plan Group, School of Public Administration, Carleton University, 1963-1964; a portrait of participants at a roundtable on political finance at Bellagio Conference Centre, Italy, May 1987, including Paltiel.
Fonds also includes a sound recording of an address by Professor Khayyam Zev Paltiel entitled Democracy within the parties: the problems of party finance, given at the conference of the Exchange for Political Ideas in Canada, held at York University, Toronto, 1966. A transcript of this address can be found in Vol. 23.Provenance:Biography/Administrative history:Paltiel, Khayyam Zev, 1922-1988 : Political Scientist A political scientist of international stature, Khayyam Zev Paltiel was born in Montreal on March 16, 1922. He received a B.A. (Honours) from McGill University in 1943, a Masters degree from the University of Toronto in 1944, and went on to earn a Ph.D. from The Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1964. The recipient of numerous academic awards, Paltiel lectured at McGill University (1946-1947), Sir George Williams College (1948), The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (1961), and Carleton University (1963-1988). He also occupied the Canadian Studies Chair at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem during 1983-1984. In addition to his academic duties, Paltiel served on the executive of the Canadian Political Science Association, was selected Secretary of the International Study Group on Political Finance, and acted as a member of the Advisory Academic Panel of Canada Council. Widely published in several languages, Paltiel also held the position of Deputy Chief Brief Analyst for the Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism, served as Research Director and Acting Secretary for the federal Advisory Committee on Election Expenses, and devoted considerable time to the study of political finance and political broadcasting both at home and abroad. Significant publications include Report of the Committee on Election Expenses, 1966, Studies in Canadian Party Finance, 1966/67, and Political Party Financing in Canada, 1970. Additional biographical information can be found in Volume 1, File 1.Finding aid:Textual records (Electronic) The finding aid is a descriptive file list. MSS1769 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000366.pdfSound recording: (Electronic) See MISACS for item level description.Subject heading:
- Political scientists - Canada, [after 1922] McGill University (Montreal, Québec), n.d., 1940-1947, 1958
- Progressive Party - Isreal, 1874-1988 University of Toronto (Toronto, Ont.), n.d., 1940-1947, 1958
- Campaign funds - Canada, [19-] Carleton University (Ottawa, Ont.), n.d., 1940-1947, 1958
- Radio in politics, [19-] The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Canadian Studies Chair, n.d., 1958-1988
- Television in broadcasting, [19-] International Study Group of Political Science, 1961-1984
- Professional associations, 1961-1984 Canadian Political Science Association, 1961-1984
- Political finances - Québec (Province), n.d., 1958-1984 Canada. Federal Advisory Committee on Election Expenses, [between 1874 and 1988]
- Jews - Canada, 1950-1989 Carleton Universitys' Feasibility Study for a Communications Research Institute, [between 1874 and 1988]
- Jewish community - Canada, 1950-1989 Canada. Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism, [between 1874 and 1988]
- Universities and colleges - Israel, 1950-1989 International Political Science Association, 1961-1984
- Universities and colleges - Canada - Faculty, n.d., 1954, 1963-1988
- Israel - Politics and government, n.d., 1940-1947
- Canada 20th century
- Canada 20e siècle
Sound recording: Reproduction and use of any kind require the written permission of the donor and, until 2017, the copyright holder.
- Date modified: