Society of Chemical Industry, Canadian section fonds [textual record, graphic material, object]
Record Information – Brief1
Society of Chemical Industry, Canadian section fonds [textual record, graphic material, object]Hierarchical level:FondsDate:1901-1974.Reference:R2968-0-X-E, MG28-I309Type of material:Textual material, Photographs, Objects (including medals and pins)Found in:Archives / Collections and FondsItem ID number:99760Context of this record:
Record Information – DetailsFonds includes:10 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)Date(s):1901-1974.Place of creation:No place, unknown, or undeterminedExtent:2.8 m of textual records.
105 photographs b&w.
1 medal.Language of material:EnglishScope and content:Fonds consists of textual records, 1901-1974: early period; reorganizational period; local sections; second reorganizational period; later period; Society of Chemical Industry, parent society and American section.
Fonds also contains photographs, 1902-1971, depicting various activities and people of the Society of Chemical Industry. Photographers include Photographic Arts; Herb Nott; Park Lane Studio; Alex Gray; Richard Arless; Association Screen News; Notman Studio; C.I.L., Business & Industrial, Hayward Studio; The Douglas Paisley Studio; MacMillan Bloedel Ltd.; Imperial Oil Ltd.; Shawanigan Water & Power, Le Nouvelliste; Ernest Rainville; Dow Chemical; Raymond Blomme; Whykeham Studios; Nova Scotia Bureau of Information; Rembrandt Studio and Henderson.
Fonds also contains a Castner Memorial medal, n.d.; two Annual General Meeting pins, 1957, Leeds and 1954, Liverpool; a National Congress pin, 1958 Torino.Provenance:Biography/Administrative history:Society of Chemical Industry. Canadian Section : The Society of Chemical Industry (SCI) was founded in 1881 in Britain. In 1902, a Canadian section of the SCI was established. It was the first and only chemical organization in Canada until the First World War. During the First World War, the Canadian chemical industry expanded and other chemical societies formed. By 1927, a new association, the Canadian Chemical Association (CCA) was established to provide co-ordination between the various chemical societies and organization Canada; the SCI became affiliated in 1932. In 1945, the Chemical Institute of Canada was established. At this time, most of the local chemical societies and organizations disbanded in favour of joining the Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC). The various local sections of the SCI dissolved, but members of the SCI successfully petitioned the Parent Society of re-establish the Canadian section of the SCI. The new Canadian section of the SCI set a policy of co-operation with the (CIC) and limited its role to complementary activities to avoid competition between the two bodies. The primary functions of the SCI in Canada are to provide a forum for interchange between government, industry and universities, to provide a channel of international communication with the Parent Society and other sections and to provide opportunities for the upper echelon of the Canadian chemical industry to socialize and interchange ideas.Finding aid:Additional information:Subject heading:
- Learned institutions and societies - Canada - Records and correspondence, 1901-1974 Canadian Chemical Association, 1932-[ca.1974]
- Chemical Industry - Canada, 1901-1974 Chemical Institute of Canada, 1945-[ca.1974]
- Canadian Institute of Chemistry, 1919
- Society of Chemical Industry, American Section, 1944-1953
- Society of Chemical Industry, Canadian Section, (Montreal, Que), 1945-1951
- Society of Chemical Industry, Canadian Section, (Toronto, Ont.), 1920-1932
- Society of Chemical Industry, Parent Section, 1902-1970
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Date modified: