Stanley Knowles fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Stanley Knowles fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R6931-0-4-E, MG32-C59
- Type of material:
- Art, Photographs, Moving images, Maps and cartographic material, Objects (including medals and pins), Sound recordings, Stamps and stamp products, Textual material, Architectural and technical drawings
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=98311&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
11 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
106.054 m of textual records.
431 photographs : multiple processes.
12 buttons : plastic coated paper on tinned iron.
6 badges : plastic coated paper on tinned iron.
1 pin : plastic coated paper on tinned iron.
7 audio reels (3 h, 53 min, 25 s).
5 dictabelts (2 h, 58 min, 9 s).
4 audio cassettes (2 h, 39 min, 35 s).
1 audio disc (51 min, 20 s).
1 videocassette (40 min).
4 drawings : multiple processes.
7 prints : photostat reproductions.
3 architectural drawings.
1 postal cover.
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of textual records relating to Hon. Stanley Howard Knowles' career as a politican. These records are divided into four series as follows: Political series; Canadian Labour Congress; Personal series; and Notebooks.
Fonds also consists of photographs depicting activities and individuals associated with the career of Stanley Knowles. Material has been divided into a separate series entitled Photographs.
In addition, fonds includes sound recordings and moving images arranged into a series of the same name.
Fonds also includes lapel buttons, pins and badges of political and non-political subjects.
Also included in fonds is art material as follows: original cartoons of Hon. Stanley Knowles by Ed Kuch; pencil portrait of J.S. Woodsworth, 1942; pastel portrait of Hon. Stanley Knowles by Ross Jenkins; reproduction of a cartoon featuring Stanley Knowles by Tom Innes; and reproductions of drawings relating to the CCF-NDP Convention held in Ottawa, August 1961, by Duncan Macpherson.
Additionally, the fonds includes architectural drawings of a proposed cenotaph in Newmarket, Ontario. Also included are cartographic records consisting of electoral maps of the city of Winnipeg and province of Manitoba.
In addition, the fonds includes a private issue first day philatelic cover bearing the Canada 17th John G. Diefenbaker commemorative postage stamp, and the inscription "Presented in memory of a great Canadian by Hon. Ray Hynatyshyn, M.P.".
- Additional name(s):
- Biography/Administrative history:
Knowles, Stanley, 1908- : Stanley H. Knowles was born on 18 June 1908 in Los Angeles, California. His parents were Canadian citizens from Nova Scotia. When he was 16 he came alone to Manitoba to live with relatives. He received a Bachelor of Arts from Brandon College in 1930 and a Bachelor of Divinity from United College in Winnipeg in 1934. Knowles was first elected to the House of Commons at a by-election in Winnipeg North Centre on 30 November 1942 succeeding J.S. Woodsworth. Except for the 1958 general election, Knowles was re-elected in every general election until his retirement in 1984. Mr. Knowles held many executive positions within the CCF/NDP at both the provincial and national levels. He was a CCF National Vice President (1954-1961), CCF/NDP Whip in the House of Commons (1944-1957, 1962-1972), NDP House Leader (1962-1972) and Chairman of the National Committee for the New Party (1958-1961) presiding over the founding convention of the NDP in 1961. In 1946 he was a member of the Canadian Delegation to the First Session of the United Nations General Assembly in London, England. Between 1958-1962 he was Executive Vice President of the Canadian Labour Congress and attended various conferences abroad including the annual conferences of the International Labour Organization. In 1967, Brandon University awarded Knowles a Doctor of Laws degree and since July 1970 he has been the University's Chancellor. Additional Doctor of Laws degrees were awarded to Mr. Knowles from numerous Canadian Universities, 1973-1979. Mr. Knowles was sworn to the Privy Council in 1979 on the recommendation of Prime Minister Joe Clark. In 1984, Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau arranged the appointment of Mr. Knowles as an Honourary Officer of the House of Commons. He continues to attend the Chamber whenever the House of Commons is sitting. Mr. Knowles was awarded the Order of Canada in 1985. For further biographical information see "Stanley Knowles: The Man from Winnipeg North Centre" by Susan Mann Trofimenkoff.
- Finding aid:
Textual records: (Electronic) Finding Aid No. 1611 is a descriptive file list. MSS1611 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000273.pdfPhotographs (Electronic) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions. (Restrictions not set)Object (Paper) Finding aid is an item-level inventory list located in DAP accession file. (Restrictions not set)Sound recordings and moving images (Electronic) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions. (Restrictions not set)Sound recordings (Paper) Bibliographic information and some handwritten notes by Knowles relating to the sound recordings are available in the VSA collection file. (Restrictions not set)Artistic material (Electronic) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions. (Restrictions not set)Cartographic material (Other) Please consult lower level descriptions. (90: Open)Architectural, technical dawings (Other) Please consult lower level descriptions. (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- The papers were presented by Stanley H. Knowles in 1985 (vols. 1-397), in 1987 (vols. 398-495), and in 1990 (vols. 496-514).
- Arrangement note:
- Cartographic records: The collection is indexed according to building type.
- Location of originals note:
- Duplicates are held by the Library and Archives of Canada.
- Container note(s):
RV3 176 : Nitrate
- Subject heading:
- Canada - Officials and employees
- Stanley Howard Knowles - Career in politics and government, 1908-1990 Co-operative Commonwealth Federation, 1908-1990
- Legislators - Canada, 1908-1990 J.S. Woodsworth, [1908-1990]
- Political parties - Platforms, [1908-1990] Grace MacInnis, [1908-1990]
- Political parties - Canada, 1908-1990 David Lewis, [1908-1990]
- Political leadership - Canada, 1908-1990 Stephen Truscott, [1908-1990]
- Trade-unions - Canada - History, 1954-1990 New Party Committee, 1954-1990
- Trade-unions - Officials and employees, 1954-1990 The New Party, Le Nouveau Parti, [1954-1990]
- Labour laws and legislation - Canada - History, 1954-1990 Canadian Labour Congress, 1954-1990
- National Committee for the New Party - Finance, 1954-1990
- Authors, Canadian, 1954-1990
- Labour - Congresses, 1954-1990
- Insurance, Unemployment - Canada, [1908-1990]
- Insurance, Health - Canada, [1908-1990]
- Labour leaders - Canada, 1954-1990
- Housing - Canada, [1908-1990]
- Canada. Parliament - Rules and practice, [1908-1990]
- Bills, Legislation - Canada, [1908-1990]
- Budget - Canada, [1908-1990]
- Canada. Parliament - Elections, [1908-1990]
- Administrative agencies - Canada, [1908-1990]
- Knowles family - Genealogy, 1882, 1892-1990
- Stanley Howard Knowles - Diaries, [1908-1990]
- Stanley Howard Knowles - Awards, [1908-1990]
- Stanley Howard Knowles - Journeys, [1908-1990]
- Universities and colleges - Canada, [1908-1990]
- Brandon University (Lethbridge, Alta.) - Officials and employees - Selection and appointment, [1908-1990]
- Yearbooks - Canada, [1908-1990]
- Christmas cards
- Pensions - Canada
- Canada 20th century
- Canada 20e siècle
- Hommes politiques Canada
- Politicians Canada
- Veterans Canada
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Photographs: No restrictions on use. Copyright varies on items less than 50 years old. Copyright expired on items more than 50 years old. (1986-045 NPC; 1988-209 DAP; 1991-152 DAP)
Photographs (1974-385 (NPC)): The National Archives of Canada does not provide copies. Copies must be obtained from lender. For items still under copyright, copyright restrictions must be negotiated by the holder of originals. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy Negative No.
Objects: No restrictions on use. Copyright varies.
Sound recordings: No donor restrictions apply. Reproduction only with permission of copyright owner. With permission of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation for 1976-0153 MISA.
Moving images: Reproduction with written permission of copyright owner.
Artistic material: No restrictions on use. Various copyright applies on selected items. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Cartographic material: No restrictions concerning access or reproduction for research purposes. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
Philatelic records: No restrictions on use. Copyright unknown.
Architectual, technical drawings: No restrictions concerning access or reproduction for research purposes. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
- Date modified: