"O" prefix [graphic material]
Record Information – Brief1
"O" prefix [graphic material]
- Hierarchical level:
- R611-461-3-E, RG150, RG9-III
- Type of material:
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Sub-sub-series includes:
4853 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
9,959 photographs : 2,996 b&w; 4,146 glass negatives; 1,314 diacitate negatives; 1,503 interpositives; 383 lantern slides.
3 albums (1113 photographs).
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Official First World War Prints taken in France, Belgium and Germany, for the Canadian War Records Office. These photographs were taken by the CWRO's official photographers between May 1916 and May 1919. Although originally intended as a visual document of the war, these photographs were published in newspapers and books, sold as prints, and put in several exhibitions.
- Additional name(s):
- Finding aid:
Index to Canadian Official War Photographs (Paper) This aid contains a caption list of the complete set of 4705 "O" series photos. It also includes similar listings for the First World War official photographs of the "M", "N", and "S" prefix series. FA-22 (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- Attributions and conjectures:
- Attributing individual photographs to photographers in this collection is difficult. Official photographers used several types of cameras, and worked with assistants who also may have taken photos. Item no. O-1 to O-650 were taken by Captain Harry E. Knobel. O-651 to approximately O-1500 were taken by or under the direction of William Ivor Castle. Approximately O-1500 to O-3970 were taken by or under the direction of William Rider-Rider. The rest of the material (up to O-4705) came from a variety of sources.
- Custodial history:
- The photographic collection of the Canadian War Records Office was transferred from London, England, to the Department of Militia and Defence in Ottawa in May, 1919. The material remained with the Department of National Defence until transferred to the Public Archives in 1963.
- Related material:
Administration - Canadian War Records (England) - General File - Establishment, Appointments, Artists, Films, Photographers, Disposal of Documents, Post-War report of functions 1916-1919 compiled by Lord Beaverbrook. Mikan: 4281018
Administration - Canadian War Records (England) - General File - Establishment, Appointments, Artists, Films, Photographers, Disposal of Documents, Post-War report of functions 1916-1919 compiled by Lord Beaverbrook. Mikan: 4281019
Canada in Khaki. Mikan: 3832097
Canadian War Pictorial. Mikan: 427930
- Former archival reference no.:
- Other accession no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
You can order materials in advance to be ready for you when you visit. You will need a user card to do this.
Cannot visit us on site? You can purchase a copy to be sent to you. Some restrictions may apply.
- Date modified: