Plan of part of the City of Selkirk embraced within the Parish of Snt. Peter, Province of Manitoba. Surveyed by ... Jno. W. Harris, D.L.S., Winnipeg, Ma. 1875. Examined and certified...Milner Hart, Inspector of Surveys. [cartographic material]
Record Information – Brief1
Plan of part of the City of Selkirk embraced within the Parish of Snt. Peter, Province of Manitoba. Surveyed by ... Jno. W. Harris, D.L.S., Winnipeg, Ma. 1875. Examined and certified...Milner Hart, Inspector of Surveys. [cartographic material]Hierarchical level:ItemDate:1875Reference:Local class no.: R/540/Selkirk/1875, Box number: 2000704292Local class no.:R/540/Selkirk/1875Type of material:Maps and cartographic materialFound in:Archives / Collections and FondsItem ID number:4160447Context of this record:
Record Information – DetailsDate(s):1875Place:S.l.:Place of creation:CanadaPublisher:s.n.,Extent:1 map : col. mss. ; 46.2 x 127.6 cm.Language of material:EnglishScope and content:This map depicts a single river lot in Selkirk, a settlement developed partly within the pre-existing parish of St. Peter north of present-day Winnipeg. As is typical of Métis settlements, the parish land was originally divided into long and narrow river lots. The lots are numbered with a note indicating the size of the regular lots.
The site of St. Peter's parish originated as Cree, Saulteaux, and Métis camps and communities, and developed into a agricultural parish from the 1830s onward. A portion of the land was surveyed as a reserve of present-day Peguis First Nation after Red River Settlement was brought into Confederation. However, the agriculturally successful reserve came under racist and prejudicial treatment from white settlers and government officials. In 1908, the Department of Indian Affairs pushed through an illegitimate land surrender that forced the people of Peguis First Nation to relocate north to their present-day reserves off of Lake Winnipeg.Source:Private
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Date modified: