Constituencies [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief1
Constituencies [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- Type of material:
- Architectural and technical drawings, Photographs, Maps and cartographic material, Textual material, Moving images, Sound recordings
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Series includes:
3 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Bilingual equivalent:
- Click here
- Place of creation:
4.43 m of textual records
37 photographs b&w and col.
3 contact plates
2 architectural drawings
2 audio discs (4 min): vinyl, 45 rpm
2 videocassettes (56 min); Umatic
- Language of material:
- Added language of material:
- English, French
- Scope and content:
This series concerns the activities of Jean Chrétien, M.P. for the riding of Saint-Maurice and Minister responsible for the ridings of Champlain, Berthier-Maskinongé-Lanaudière, Trois-Rivières, Hull, Pontiac-Gatineau-Labelle, Drummond and others, from 1980 to 1984. During this period, he held the respective offices of Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, Minister of State for Social Development responsible for constitutional negotiations (1980-1982), and Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources (1982-1984).
Thus, this series chiefly concerns Jean Chrétien's activities as M.P. for the riding of Saint-Maurice (and Minister responsible for other constituencies), where he strove to bolster his electoral support by working closely with and promoting the Liberal Party among constituents and other voters. To a lesser degree it concerns his activities as a Minister, which varied according to the portfolio.
This series consists mainly of correspondence, working papers, reference materials, grant applications and, to a lesser degree, other document types (see sub-series).
It is divided into three sub-series: Subject Files, Correspondence, and LaPrade Fund.
- Finding aid no.:
- Finding aid:
(Electronic) The finding aid for this series was created by the archivist and states the file titles. MSS2427 (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- We should note that the majority of records in this series did not originate from the constituency office, but usually from the Parliament Hill office (from which the business of the Saint-Maurice riding - and other ridings under Jean Chrétien's authority - was largely managed).
- The records of this series are in excellent general condition, and robust measures were taken to preserve them: all metal pieces were removed, newspaper clippings were removed and replaced with photocopies, records in a fragile state of preservation were also photocopied, etc. Lastly, records were removed from their original folders and placed in acid-free folders.
- Language note:
- The records in the series are in French and English.
- Related material:
- See : Minister of Indian and Northern Affairs Canada series ; Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada series ; Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources series ; Minister's Offices series ; Hill Office series.
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
You can order materials in advance to be ready for you when you visit. You will need a user card to do this.
Cannot visit us on site? You can purchase a copy to be sent to you. Some restrictions may apply.
- Date modified: