Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R1197-0-4-E, RG56, RG56M 923032, RG56M 912008, RG56M 86703/31, RG56M 756/53505
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Architectural and technical drawings, Maps and cartographic material, Moving images, Sound recordings
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
30 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Bilingual equivalent:
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
131 m of textual records.
ca. 9804 architectural drawings.
ca. 1289 maps.
ca. 227 technical drawings
19 film reels (ca. 16 h, 36 min, 5s).
23 audio cassettes (ca. 14 h, 30 min).
- Language of material:
- Added language of material:
- English, French
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of records created and/or maintained by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and its predecessors. Researchers are cautioned that unprocessed textual records and records in other media are not reflected in this description. Cartographic material, architectural and technical drawing media consist of the following: Landscape designs showing different projects on MacLaren Blvd. and Taylor Avenue in Saint John, New Brunswick (RG56M 923032); drawings and survey plans of senior citizen housing and apartments, housing for Indian Bands, and housing generally in New Brunswick, 1970-1989 (RG56M 912008); plans and drawings for projects undertaken by the Architectural and Planning Division of Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation, 1954-1973 (RG56M 86703-31); and Expo '67 drawings submitted to the Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation for approval (RG56M 756-53505). Moving images and sound recordings consist of various films on housing, communities, city planning, etc. See item-level descriptions for film titles. There are also soundtracks for slide shows and series' prepared by the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation.
- Biography/Administrative history:
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation : Early federal government involvement in housing took the form of it constructing a small amount of housing for First World War veterans in the 1920s. The groundwork for a federal housing agency was not established until 1935, however, with the passing of the Dominion Housing Act (25-26 Geo. V, c. 58). Initially administered by the Department of Finance, by 1938 the legislation had helped finance the construction of nearly 5,000 housing units. In that year, the National Housing Act (2 Geo. VI, c. 49) replaced the Dominion Housing Act. The new legislation encouraged lending companies to expand outside urban centres. During the Second World War, the Wartime Housing Corporation (established in 1941) built 46,000 units and helped repair and modernize thousands of existing units, primarily to accommodate war-industry workers. At the end of the conflict, the demobilization of more than one million Canadians in the armed forces created a housing demand that the private sector could not meet. In response, the federal government created a crown corporation, the Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) in 1945 (9-10 Geo. VI, c. 15). At the time of CMHC's creation, the National Housing Administration in the Department of Finance and the Emergency Shelter Administration of the Wartime Prices and Trades Board were transferred to the new agency. In addition to CMHC's Ottawa headquarters, five regional offices were established at Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver. CMHC constructed thousands of housing units for veterans, but from the beginning its primary mandate was to improve housing for all Canadians. In 1948 the development of Ajax, Ontario (a large industrial complex created during the Second World War) into a balanced industrial community was turned over to CMHC. Revisions to the National Housing Act in 1949 authorized the federal government to enter into agreements with the provinces for the provision of housing under federal-provincial ownership and management. In 1950, CMHC undertook the planning and development of Deep River, Ontario, for Atomic Energy of Canada, Ltd. In 1954 CMHC began insuring mortgage loans made by private investors. The Bank Act was amended to allow Canada's chartered banks to lend money for mortgages, which resulted in an increase in the amount of available mortgage funds. Over the ensuing years a number of initiatives and programs were undertaken by CMHC. To cite a few examples, in 1965 an agreement was reached between the federal government and Saskatchewan for a joint program to provide housing for Metis and enfranchised Indians in sparsely-settled regions of Saskatchewan. In 1968 hostel and dormitory accommodation for nearly 15,000 persons was financed under the National Housing Act. From 1969 to 1972 low rental housing and residences for senior citizens were priorities for CMHC. Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation was renamed Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation in 1979. At present, its affairs are managed by a board of directors consisting of the chair, the CMHC president, five members from the public at large and two members of the public service, all of whom are appointed by the Governor-in-Council. Reporting to Parliament through the Minister of Public Works and Government Services, CMHC has authority to act for the Government of Canada in all matters prescribed under federal housing legislation, primarily the National Housing Act. To accomplish these goals, CMHC insures loans so that the lender is protected in the event that home-owners cannot keep up with mortgage payments; provides grants, loans and subsidies to assist in the construction of new homes and the improvement of existing ones; conducts and supports research in housing-related matters; and provides advice to mortgage lenders, real estate agents, and the housing industry.
- Finding aid:
(Other) Finding aids are available. See lower level descriptions and accession records in ArchiviaNet (the NA website).
- Additional information:
- Source of title:
- RSC, 1985, c. C-7
- Custodial history:
- The following accessions, containing cartographic material, architectural and technical drawings, were transferred from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation: RG56M 923032 (Aug. 1992, Ottawa office); RG56M 912008 (April 1991, from the C.M.H.C. District Office in Fredericton, N.B.); RG56M 86703-31 (Nov. 1986); RG56M 756-53505 (1976, from the Public Records Division, transfer #75-6-135).
- Further accruals are expected.
- Link to Related Resource:
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
- Date modified: