Record Information – Brief1
- Hierarchical level:
- ca. 1795.
- R13133-188-7-E, Volume number: 12
- Type of material:
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- ca. 1795.
- Bilingual equivalent:
- Click here
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
1 print / estampe : etching with aquatint, handcoloured with watercolour and gold metallic paint on light blue laid paper laid down onto cardboard 24 x 17.5 cm.
Support 22.900 x 16.100 cm
Image 15.600 x 10.900 cm
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Image a full-length view of a standing Iroquois warrior in native costume. He is carrying a tall musket, an axe, and a smoking hawk (an instrument that is both pipe and tomahawk). Around his neck he wears a chain with a blade dangling blade.
- Additional name(s):
- Additional information:
- General Note:
Removed from: Publication: Jacques Grasset de Saint-Sauveur, "Encyclopedia des voyages...", (Paris, 1795?), Copy negative number: C-003163
Inventory number, Saint-Sauveur artist file: II-11
- Availability of other formats note:
- Colour transparency available
- Signatures and inscriptions note:
- Inscribed. Signed., Inscription: in the plate, l.l., within image: J. Grasset S[^t]. Sauveur inv. direx; l.r.: J. Laroque Sculp; b., outside image: Guerrier Iroquois (complete transcription)
- Subject heading:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Credit: Library and Archives Canada, acc. no. R13133-178
You can order materials in advance to be ready for you when you visit. You will need a user card to do this.
Cannot visit us on site? You can purchase a copy to be sent to you. Some restrictions may apply.
- Date modified: