Canadian Forestry Service sous-fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Canadian Forestry Service sous-fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R214-206-4-E, RG39, RG39M 85603/49, RG39M, RG39M 70/20545
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Art, Photographs, Maps and cartographic material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Sous-fonds includes:
21 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Bilingual equivalent:
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
ca. 165.45 m of textual records.
ca. 1939 maps.
ca 104 photographs : chiefly b&w, negatives.
1 v. : (40 leaves, bound) typescript 30 x 45 cm.
1 v. : (195 leaves, bound) typescript 30 x 45 cm.
1 v. : graphic materials (24 prints, bound) photocopies 50 x 66 cm.
1 atlas : (50 leaves) 49 maps, col. 44 x 54 cm.
1 atlas : (51 leaves) 50 maps, col. 82 cm.
1 atlas : (19 leaves, some folded) 19 maps, col. 67 x 67 cm.
- Language of material:
- Added language of material:
- English, French
- Scope and content:
Sous-fonds consists of records created and/or maintained by the Canadian Forestry Service and its predecessors. Researchers are cautioned that unprocessed textual records and records in other media are not reflected in this description.
- Additional name(s):
- Biography/Administrative history:
Canadian Forestry Service : Federal responsibility for forestry resources can be traced to the Department of Interior's Dominion Lands Branch given responsibility for federal public lands in 1873. In 1882, an office was created for the supervision of natural resources, timber, minerals and grazing lands (P.C. 640, 23 May 1882). The first Chief Inspector of Timber and Forestry was appointed in 1899, with responsibility for the inspection and allocation of timber reserves (primarily in Manitoba and the North-West Territories), and the protection of timber. In 1901, the officer's title became the Superintendent of Forestry, and the name of office was changed to the Forestry Branch (P.C. 1913, 22 October 1901). In 1906, the Dominion Forest Reserves Act (6 Edw. VII, c. 14) was passed providing the legal authority to set up forest reserves under the care of the Superintendent of Forestry. Responsibility for irrigation and national parks were later added to the Forestry Branch. In 1909, Parliament established a Commission of Conservation with responsibility over natural resources. This responsibility was later moved to the the Forestry Branch. Separate branches for forestry, parks and irrigation were later established; and forest laboratories and stations were also created to study timber and wood preservation. In 1930, the federal government transferred jurisdiction over natural resources to the western provinces. Federal forestry programs concentrated on scientific research in silviculture, forest protection and products; and collected information on forest resources. Research activities were further supported in the coming years with additional forestry experimental stations. In 1936, the Department of the Interior ceased to exist, and its components were merged with the Departments of Mines, Indian Affairs, and Immigration to become the Department of Mines and Resources (Edw. VIII, c. 33). The former "Forestry Service" (Interior) formed a part of the Lands, Park and Forests Branch of the Department of Mines and Resources as the Dominion Forest Service. Between 1940 to 1945, the war time crisis, fuel wood shortages and pest epidemics influenced federal forest policy. The Dominion Forestry Service responded by expanding its research activities, establishing a board to advise and deal with forest insect epidemics and tree diseases, and creating an air surveys division. In 1947, the branches of Department of Mines and Resources responsible for Lands, Parks, and Forests became separate units. Research activities were combined with surveys and mapping, and, the Dominion Forest Service continued under the Mines, Forests and Scientific Services Branch. In 1949, the Canada Forestry Act (13 Geo. VI, c. 8) granted the legal authority to enter into forest resource agreements with provinces. The Department of Mines and Resources was dissolved in the following year, and its functions transferred to the Department of Resources and Development. A new Forestry Branch charged with forestry issues was responsible for forestry research, forest management, and forest products. In 1953, the Department of Resources and Development became the Department of Northern Affairs and National Resources (2-3 Eliz. II, c. 4). The functions remained virtually the same, but, the name change highlighted a focus on northern issues. In 1960, the first autonomous Department of Forestry was established under the Department of Forestry Act (SC. 1960, c. 41). It encompassed the Forestry Branch, and the Forest Biology Division from the Department of Agriculture's Research Branch. It remained as a department from 1960 to 1966, where its functions involved the protection, promotion and management of forest resources. Its activities included: agreements with the provinces, land inventory and soil research, regeneration and growth, surveys, and forest fire control; it also conducted research into insect and pest control and tree diseases involving forest products. Regional offices were located in St. John's, Fredericton, Sainte-Foy, Sault Ste. Marie, Winnipeg, Calgary, and Victoria. Institutes were created to support scientific studies into chemicals, forest fires, forest economics, and forest management. In 1964, responsibility for the Agricultural Rehabilitation and Development Act (ARDA), the Maritime Marshland Rehabilitation Act and the Feed Grain Assistance Program were transferred to the Department of Forestry from Agriculture. On 16 June 1966, under the terms of the Government Organization Act (14-15 Eliz. II, c. 25), federal responsibility for forestry was combined with rural development to become the Department of Forestry and Rural Development. Its activities were carried out within two branches, one responsible for forestry and another for rural development. In 1968, the Forestry Branch merged with the Department of Fisheries ( P.C. 1968- 1299, 12 July 1968) to form the Department of Fisheries and Forestry, under the authority of the Government Organization Act (17-18 Eliz. II, c. 28). Forestry programs were delivered by the "Canadian Forestry Service." The Government Organization Act, 1970 (19-20 Eliz. II, c. 42) established a new Department of Environment with responsibilities for environmental affairs, renewable resources and the protection of the biosphere. The Department of Fisheries and Forestry formed its nucleus. All federal responsibility for the environment, including air, land, water, wildlife, fisheries and forestry were transferred to the new Department (P.C. 1970-2047, 26 November 1970). A policy, planning and research branch provided overall coordination, and three councils were also formed to advise the Minister on environmental, forestry and fisheries issues. The Canadian Forestry Service formed a part of the Lands, Forests and Wildlife Service. Within two years, the Department of Environment was restructured with services in fisheries and marine, planning and finance, and environmental matters. Environmental Services consisted of environmental protection, atmospheric services, and environmental management. The Canadian Forestry Service continued as part of the Environment Management Service along with Inland Waters, the Canadian Wildlife Service and Lands. In the following year, a focus on decentralization prompted the creation of a Policy and Program Development Directorate, and five regional establishments in the Atlantic provinces, Québec, Ontario, Western and Northern, Pacific and Yukon regions. Programs were created for forest protection, production and environmental forestry, wood utilization, policy development and analysis, forestry relation and technology transfer, and, administration. In 1979, the administration over Eastern and Western Forest Products Laboratories was privatized with the transfer to Forintek Canada Corporation. This change was short-lived as responsibility was later transferred back to the federal government. In 1982, Environmental Management Services was split to form the Environmental Conservation Service and the Canadian Forestry Service. In 1984, the Canadian Forestry Service was transferred to the Department of Agriculture; however, it was transferred back to Environment the following year. Forestry Canada became a department designate on 15 August 1988 (P.C. 1988-2109). In 1989, it was fully established with its own Minister by the Department of Forestry Act (SC. 1989 c. 27). The purpose was to give federal profile to one of Canada's most important resources. It remains committed to sustainable development and as a nationwide sector involved in science, technology and management of Canada's forest resources. On 25 June 1993, the Department of Natural Resources was created by merging the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources and the Department of Forestry. The Department of Natural Resources Act (SC. 1994 c. 41), defined the responsibilities of the new department after coming into force on 12 January 1995. In the same year, the Department reorganized into four science-based sectors and one Corporate Services. As one of those science-based sectors, the Forestry Sector conducts its activities through a system of lead agencies and ten science networks involving five national research centres across Canada.
- Finding aid:
(Other) Finding aids are available. See lower level descriptions and accession records in ArchiviaNet (the NA website).
- Additional information:
- Source of title:
- Forestry Act R.S. 1985, c. F-30 s. 1; 1989, c. 27 Annual Report - Department of Environment 1981/82. A Department of Forestry was established by a Statute of Canada - However, Canadian Forest Service records held in GAD were created under the Minister and responsibility of the Department of Environment. Records in GAD custody will also include holdings from the established Department - Forestry Canada.
- Cartographic math data:
- Scales differ.
- Further accruals are expected.
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Copyright belongs to the Crown. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
- Date modified: