David Barbour fonds [graphic material]
Record Information – Brief
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
30 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
- Added country of publication:
- 30 photographs b&w.
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of photographs from David Barbour's series entitled "Winnipeg 1979: In the Night". Photos depict people at a discotheque in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Also included are photos from Barbour's series entitled "Kingston 1980: The Waterfront", depicting children playing on the waterfront in Kingston, Ontario and photographs documenting the following subjects: nightlife in Ottawa, Ontario; a Boy George concert; Barrymore's night club, Ottawa; various dances; mud wrestling; a commercial gallery opening; and youths on Parliament Hill. Photos taken by David Barbour.
- Biography/Administrative history:
Barbour, David, 1952- : David Barbour, street photographer, curator and teacher, was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, in 1952. He studied photography at the Banff School of Fine Arts, and has been exhibiting his work since 1974. An acclaimed and well-travelled professional photojournalist, Barbour has traveled to more than 40 countries on assignment for clients including CIDA, OXFAM, and UNICEF. In 1998 he was awarded a mid-career grant from the Canada Council to complete his Cuba series. "Street Shooters: David Barbour and Bruce Gilden." This is Carleton. Volume 1, No. 19 1 Nov. 1999. 19 October 2001. 1510
- Finding aid:
Photographs: (Paper) See finding aid 270, the "Contemporary Photography Collection," for additional information. FA-270Photographs: (Electronic) Item level descriptions available on-line in MINISIS.
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Material acquired from 1982 to 1985 from David Barbour of Ottawa, Ontario.
- Associated material note:
- David Barbour's photographs are represented in numerous Canadian collections. They can be found in the Carleton University Art Gallery, Canada Council Art Bank, Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography in Ottawa, as well as the Winnipeg Art Gallery, Norman MacKenzie Art Gallery in Regina, the Edmonton Art Gallery, and the Banff Centre for the Arts.
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Photographs: No restrictions on use. Copyright held by David Barbour for material less than 50 years old. Copyright expired on material more than 50 years old. Credit: David Barbour / National Archives of Canada / copy negative number.
- Date modified: