Albertype Company fonds [graphic material]
Record Information – Brief
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
2049 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
- ca. 1,637 photographs b&w; chiefly copy negatives.
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of photographs depicting cities and towns across Canada, including views of the following subjects: factories, foundries, industries, agriculture, schools, hospitals, libraries, municipal buildings, churches, colleges, universities, federal and provincial parliament buildings and government offices, railway stations, depots and offices, courthouses, jails, hotels, banks, bridges, lighthouses, parks, markets, salmon canneries, banks, bridges, stores including Hudson's Bay and Eaton's, rivers, mountains, sports, fishing, regattas, rowing, and the Royal North West Mounted Police.
Provinces and cities depicted in fonds are as follows: Prince Edward Island - Charlottetown; New Brunswick - St. John and St. Andrews; Nova Scotia - Sydney and Yarmouth; Quebec - Quebec, Montreal, Montmorency, Trois-Riviéres, La Macaza, Cape Trinity, Pointe aux-Trembles, Lévis, Saguenay River, Bay of Tadoussac, Aylmer, Ste. Anne de Beaupré, Chicoutimi, Lorette; Ontario - Ottawa, London, Georgian Bay, Barrie, Kenora, Hamilton, Muskoka, Moon River, Lake Rousseau, Bala, Niagara Falls, Guelph, Galt, Torrance, Port Carling, Shadow River, Milford Bay, Indian River, Ivy Lea, Fort William, Brantford, Lake Huron, Jackfish, Lake Superior, Sault Ste. Marie, Peterborough, Sarnia, Vankleek Hill, Mount Julian, Stony Lake, Kawartha Lakes, St. Thomas, Toronto.
Manitoba - Brandon, Winnipeg, Assiniboine River, St. Boniface; Saskatchewan - Regina; Alberta - Laggan, Edmonton, Banff, Calgary, Medicine Hat, Jasper, Big Bow River, Vegreville, Canmore, Fort Saskatchewan, Sturgeon River, Lake Agnes, Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Waterton Lakes, Bertha Lake, Mackenzie River, Slave River.
British Columbia - Atlin, Discovery, Field, Yoho Valley, Mount Ogden, Kicking Horse, Emerald Lake, Vernon, Cowichan River, Victoria, Yale River, Fraser River, Okanagan Valley, Mount Abbott, Nelson, Revelstoke, Laggan, Vancouver, Ross Peak, Moraine Lake, Kelowna, Fraser Canyon, Alberni, Rossland, Trail, Sandon, Okanagan Falls, Kootenay River, Beaver Canyon, Glacier, Selkirk Mountains, Eagle Pass, Penticton, Mission Creek, Longlake, Shuswap Falls, Swan Lake, Llewellyn Glacier, New Westminister, Crown Mountain, Cheam Peak, Cascade Mountain, Lytton, Kamloops, Spuzzum, Illecillewait, Summerland, Enderby, Armstrong, Peachland, Sir Donald Mount, Cathedral Mountain, Harrison Lake, Rogers Pass, Sicamous; and Yukon - Carcross.
- Additional name(s):
- Biography/Administrative history:
Albertype Company (New York, N.Y.) : Albertype Company, a postcard factory in New York, New York, was established in 1938 on the site of what was originally the 1846 First Free Congregational Church, and later the African Wesleyan Methodist Episcopal Church, a major stop on the Underground Railroad in the 1860's. Albertype was later absorbed by Poly Tech. Walsh, Kevin. "Forgotten Street Scenes N.Y." Forgotten N.Y. 29 June 2001. 13 Sept. 2001. 1515
- Finding aid:
Photographs: (Electronic) Item level descriptions available on-line in MINISIS.
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Material was acquired in 1968 from the Miss Edith G. Firth of the Toronto Public Library, Baldwin Room, College and George St., Toronto, Ontario.
- Statement of responsibility note:
- Photographers include Simon A. Oscar; Livernois; Walter Scott; Walter Bews; Charles W. Mathers; Frank Gowen; G.H.E. Hudson; Canada Drug & Book Co. Ltd.; Miers; William Rutherford; P.B. Willits & Co.; Smith Brothers Book Store; Thomas R. Wren; W. Hunt Hall; C.R. Bourne; H.E. Brown; Thomson Photo; Stanley Mills & Co. Ltd.; G.N. Bartlett; Oscar A. Simon; MacLeod's Book Stores; C.& W. Bartlett; Olds, Wortman & King; Charles L. Nelles; A.A.Z. Wiebel; McCrae & Co.; G. Brinkworth; the Roy Studio; R.J. Soden; Christie's Bookstore; Princess Studio; Cockburn; Frank W. Micklethwaite; and T.J. Hileman.
- Related material:
- For additional material by Albertype Company see "Consolidation Coal Company [U.S.] collection, accession number 1963-148 (NPC). Additional access points have been made for photographers whose material also exists in other fonds/collections held by the National Archives of Canada.
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Photographs: No restrictions on use. Copyright expired. Credit: name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / copy negative number.
- Date modified: