Postcards [graphic material]
Record Information – Brief
Record Information – Details
- Series includes:
93 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- [ca. 1915-1919.]
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
- Added country of publication:
- France, Belgium
- 135 reproductions : photomechanical reproductions, individual postcards.
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
The series consists of postcards collected by George Edmund Thorpe while he was overseas during the First World War. There are two major groups, the first being 29 postcards of England, and the second postcards of France and Belgium. The English ones comprise views of various cities and villages in England, sometimes annotated by Thorpe with the date and comments. Among them are views of Bournemouth; Bexhill-Sea (Canadian Training school Bexhill); Rhyl, Abergale, Bodewydden Castle, North Wales (near Kinmel Park Training camp, the location of the 1919 Canadian riots); Holyhead (inscribed references to the Government wireless); New College; Hindhead; London; the Victoria League Club, Ramsay Garden, Edinburgh; a greeting card form Witly Camp, England. The second group includes 108 postcards documenting towns and cities in France and Belgium, some documenting landmarks before and after bombing. Among these are two booklets, one of Arras and one of Ypres, and loose cards from four other series: La Guerre Européene; La Guerre; La Grande Guerre and La Guerre dans le Nord. Some postcards have been inscribed with messages and some are blank.
- Finding aid:
Art accession file description. (Paper) Collection description on accession file. R2581- 2000. (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Frederick Thorpe, Ottawa, Ontario., Item numbers run from R2581-1 to -93 and include 2 bound postcard booklets: first: item R2581-30 [with 20 postcards numbered R2581-30.1 to R2581-30.20]; and second item R2581-31 [with 24 postcards numbered R2581-31.1 to R2581-31.24]. Total count of postcards: 135., a322 postcards were received for possible acquisition. 185 were returned to the donor on December 21, 2000. The postcards returned were generic in nature, all European, and some were duplicates. 93 items were kept: comprised of 91 loose postcards and 2 booklets of cards. Item 30, is comprised of 20 individual postcards and item 31, is comprised of 24 individual cards. Total count of individual postcards: 135.
- Statement of responsibility note:
- Publishers of series note: Booklet: Arras avant et après le Bombardement: Édition Fernand Benoit; Booklet: IV Vues d'Ypres, Views of Ypres: Collection Antony.
- Arrangement note:
- Postcards have been grouped by subject (geographical location) within container.
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Date modified: