Records of CN Headquarters [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Records of CN Headquarters [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- 1825-1963, 1979-1982.
- R231-926-X-E, RG30M 79003/45, RG30-V-A-9-b
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Photographs, Architectural and technical drawings, Maps and cartographic material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=180425&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Series includes:
273 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- 1825-1963, 1979-1982.
- Place of creation:
30.12 m of textual records.
241 photographs : 231 b&w and 10 col. prints.
3 architectural drawings : 2 blueprints, 1 blueline print ; 103 x 131 cm or smaller.
2 maps : 1 col. blueline print, 1 blackline print ; 44 x 84 cm and 53 x 290 cm.
1 technical drawing : blueline print ; 53 x 97 cm.
4.8 meters of index cards
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Series consists of records created and maintained by the Canadian National Railways System. These records cover all aspects of Canadian National Railway activities. Some major categories are construction and repairs of structures and roadbed, specification data for locomotives, budgets, visits and liaison, relations with other railways, shipping operations, equipment records, charters and special trains, records of the Montreal and Southern Counties Railroad, leases and agreements, legal records and operating statistics for the periods 1900-1960 and 1979-1982. Also included within these files are a number of containers (Volumes 11518-11523) that have records relating to the Canadian National Railways services in Newfoundland 1949-1960. There are many records for CN steamship services in Newfoundland and Labrador, including correspondence, memos, drawings of ships, ports of call (of particular interest are the ones for the Labrador coast), information on crew member's salaries, some schedules for steamships for 1957-1958, a report on the St. John's Drydock including 15 photographs and various drawings, and petitions from various communities in favour of receiving steamship service. There are also photographs of snow clearing equipment and a report on the potential to change from narrow gauge rail to standard gauge rail. Another block of records relate to the Operation and Construction Department activities from the 1920s-1950s. Volumes 11448-11465 generally contain records relating to the maintenance or reconstruction of bridges and other structures such as culverts, and there are numerous plans and some maps. A number of containers hold plans relating to the Victoria Bridge and the Quebec Bridge, and there are number of containers with files relating to bridges in the prairies, including an album of photographs showing the destruction, by spring flooding, of a trestle bridge near Red Deer, Alberta in April 1952 (see Vol. 11459). An additional block of records (Vols. 11471-11484) contains specifications for locomotives (from locomotive number 45 to 5609) created by the CN Mechanical (or Motive Power) Department, and some files include erecting cards showing various views of portions of the locomotive. There are other records relating to the Prince Rupert Drydock (includes photos and plans, Vol. 15551), plans and textual records relating to Halifax wharves and Western Canada Car Ferry slips (Vol. 11560), 50 photographs showing the construction progress of the Abegweit Car Ferry for use from Cape Tormentine to Prince Edward Island, 1946 (Vol. 11566), various textual records relating to steamship services in Eastern and Western Canada as well as the West Indies, including names, occupations, and pay scales of employees, ca. 1940s and ship plans for three ferries (Milwakee, Madison, and Grand Rapids) operated by the Grand Trunk Western Railway, ca. 1940s (Vol. 11573). There is also correspondence, reports, and memos relating to the Montreal and Southern Counties Railway (1920s-1940s) (Vol. 11587 and 11591); correspondence and related documentation from the Passenger Traffic Department documenting special parties travelling on trains (Vol. 11588-11590) Additionally, there are some 19th and early 20th century records, including: 1. original land deeds for areas of St. Anne's Ward (Griffintown) in Montreal, dating from 1825-1912 (Vols. 11598-11600). 2. original share transfers and cancelled bonds for the Montreal and Champlain Railroad, 1850s-1860s (Vol. 11577) 3. cancelled bonds for various railways, including Grand Trunk, St. Clair Tunnel Company, Canadian Northern Railway, Galt and Guelph Railway, and Midland Railway (Vol. 11584), 1850s - 1919. 4. agreements and leases, mostly between Canadian Northern Railway and various individuals (1899-1920) (Vol. 11594-11597). There are also file classification index cards pertaining to various records classification systems set up by the Records Management Department. These index cards may be particularly useful for identifying what kinds of documents were created by CN, particularly between 1920s and the 1970s, and for information about constituent, affiliated, and subsidiary companies. Additionally, there are file index cards for some of the books compiled by the CNR Library. For further information, please see lower level sub-series MIKAN 5098850, and volumes 15886 -- 15913. Additionally, volume 16165 contains records on contracts relating to coal purchased in the 1940s. Cartographic material, architectural and technical drawings, (RG30M 79003/45), consist of a site plan of totem pole preservation at Kitwanga, B.C., plans showing the terminal layout in Montreal, and floor plans showing office layout for CN headquarters buildings. Additional photographic material consists of copies of telegraphs issued by the Montreal Telegraph Company (1859) (one photograph) and the Toronto, Hamilton and Niagara Line (1849) (two photographs).
- Finding aid:
(Electronic) Finding aid 30-196 is a handwritten file list relating to volumes 11448-11613. Finding aid 30-196 is an unverified file list. The finding aid is available as a PDF attached to this record. 30-196 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf002/30-196_180425_vols_11448-11613_open.pdf(Electronic) Finding aid 30-71 is a computer generated file list relating to volumes 14938-14961. 30-71 (90: Open)Architectural drawing, cartographic material, technical drawing (Paper) Finding aid consists of an itemized list. RG30M 79003/45 Finding aid available in main reference room. (90: Open)(Paper) Finding aid is a file list covering volumes 14773-14780, 14783-14804. A paper copy is available, and in the near future (later in 2020), an electronic copy will also be available. 30-18 (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- Source of title:
- Title is based on the contents of the series.
- Physical description note:
- RG30M 79003/45: Maps include legends. Item #3 is stamped: Office of chief architect, Montreal, P.Q., G.F. Drummond.
- Note on the state of conservation:
- RG30M 79003/45: Item #1 needs more repairs to tears; item #2 has tears at edges; item #3 has water stains; items #4 and 5 have tears along edges.
- Custodial history:
- RG30M 79003/45 was transferred in 1974 from the C.N.R. headquarters library.
- Cartographic math data:
- RG30M 79003/45: Architectural drawing: Scale [1:96]. Cartographic material: Scales [1:1 200] and [1:600]. Technical drawing: Scale [ca. 1:64].
- Formatted contents note:
- RG30M 79003/45: Contents: 1. Department of Indian Affairs, totem pole preservation at Kitwanga, B.C. 1926 -- 2. Canadian National Railways, standard, no. 12 turnout & crossover, general layout, Montreal. 1961 -- 3. Canadian National Railways, head office building, 360 McGill St., Montreal, Que., fourth floor plan. 1951 -- 4. Canadian National Railways, Construction Department, Montreal terminal development, as constructed. 1943 -- 5. New passenger terminal, Montreal, Canadian National Railways. 1955 -- 6. Canadian National Railways, Montreal terminal development, headquarters office & garage building, office building, fifteenth floor, master plan of office layout. 1961.
- Signatures and inscriptions note:
- RG30M 79003/45: Item #1 is signed by J.P. Campbell, res. engineer; item #2 is signed by J.A. Ellis, assistant engineer, W.A. Duff, engineer of bridges and reserves, and approved by C.B. Brown, chief engineer, Operations Dept.; item #4 is signed by W.H. Abbott, assistant engineer and A.D. Ferguson, engineer of construction; item #6 is signed by H.C. Greensides, chief architect, and N.S.B. Watson, electrical and mechanical engineer.
- Further accruals are expected.
- Subject heading:
- Former registration no.:
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Date modified: