Surveys and Mapping Branch [textual record, cartographic material, graphic material]
Record Information – Brief
Surveys and Mapping Branch [textual record, cartographic material, graphic material]
- Hierarchical level:
- R214-35-3-E, RG88M 59/3395, RG88M 77803/12, RG88M 79003/38, RG88M 82303/12, RG88M 87803/29, RG88M 88970, RG88M 88986, RG88M 82303/5, RG21M 1968-00002-X, RG88M 923038, RG88M 934018, RG88M 934023, RG88M 956005, RG88M 889177, RG88M 912032, RG88-C
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Maps and cartographic material, Photographs
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Series includes:
68 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Bilingual equivalent:
- Place of creation:
10.41 m of textual records.
ca. 9,358 : some col., some blueprints.
ca. 2000 007 remote-sensing images
27.6 Mb. : one 8mm exabyte tape
ca. 725 v.
ca. 8,000 photographs
ca. 14.5 MB of cartographic records : 1 computer tape reel
8 prints lithograph
1 portfolio (16 leaves, 39 pages with mounted photographs)
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Series consists of records created and accumulated in the Surveys and Mapping Branch. The Branch comprises five lower level sub-series: Legal Services Division, Map Compilation and Reproduction Division, Geodetic Survey of Canada, Board of Examiners for Dominion Land Surveyors and Registry subject files. The series also contains ca. 6,000 aeronautical maps, 1953-1993, and ca. 500 v. of flight information publications, handbooks, Canadian Air Pilot manuals and amendments, etc., 1944-1993. Indian treaties and surrenders, consisting of 31 plans ranging from No. 2 to 255. The plans are stamped as true or reduced true copies by W.S. Austin, Surveys Branch, Dept. of Indian Affairs, in 1890. 22 flight line map sheets pertaining to operation "Polaris" from Dept. of Mines and Resources file 15236. Map sheets 39 & 49A S1/2, 67NE&NW, 78SW&SE, and 87SE&SW have been itemized and are grouped with annotated portions of map sheets. ca. 200 000 remote-sensing images of trimetrogon aerial photographs taken by the U.S. Army Air Force Task Force on a number of operations in Canadian territory. The operations included: the Labrador expedition (1931-1935); the St. Lawrence waterway (1941); the United States - Canada boundary (1941); numbered operations 41, 2-1001, 2-2011, 3025 and 4010 (1941-1943); and Polaris (1946-1948). The images are of the Arctic archipelago and the far northern part of the Northwest Territories (Operation Polaris); vast regions of the country and represent all provinces and territories with the exception of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. A select sampling of seven obsolete glass plate negatives in different sizes connected with arerial photography done by the Survey and Mapping Branch across Canada. Map related to the 35th federal election, October 15, 1993, consisting of a test map showing the membership of the House of Commons on 25 June 1993; English (MCR 196) and French (MCR 196F) map editions; 3 correction plots prepared Oct. 26 to make negatives used in press run -- shows the unoffical counts as tablulated by Elections Canada. Records from the Map Resource Centre include 226 sectional maps of Canada at the 3 mile to 1 inch scale and approximately 210 gazetteers and other publications. Canada referendum 1992 maps. The first item is a provisional map that depicts voting results at approximatley 6:00 a.m. EST on October 17, 1992. It was printed and circulated in limited numbers. The second item is a computer print out of the POSTSCRIPT map and was used to print the second provisional verison showing results at approximately 7:00 a.m. EST. The third map is a printed copy of the second provisional map. Insets of Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and others. The Report on a survey of air photographic and map requirements undertaken by the Interdepartmental Committee on Air Surveys, prior to the vertical and tri camera air survey programme of 1946, has 15 appendicies consiting of 11 annotated maps, representing appendicies D,F,G,H,I,J,K,L.M,N, and O; 3 diagrammatic representations of vertical, tri camera or steep oblique coverage and a letter to the Secretary of the Committee from the Dept. of National Defence. The base map used for the 11 cartographic items were either the "Index to the Map Sheets of the National Topographic Series", provided by the Office of Topographic Survey in 1927 and reprinted in 1943, or Map 870A compiled by the GSGS, DND and printed in 1946. The Report of Reindeer Lake and Churchill River photographic operations undertaken by Topographical survey and Victoria Beach RCAF station from July 18 to August 14, 1924. The purpose of the operation was to experiment with the use of aircraft and aerial photography to assist the Topograhical Survey in mapping large areas in northern Canada. Robert Davidson of the Topographical Survey took part in the project which produced over 1700 aerial photographs.
- Additional name(s):
- Aero Surveys Ltd
- Spartan Air Services
- Canada. Dept. of the Interior
- National Air Photo Library (Canada)
- United States. Air Force
- Canada. Dept. of Energy, Mines and Resources
- Kenting Earth Sciences Ltd
- Canada Centre for Mapping
- Canada Centre for Surveying
- Canada. Dept. of Indian Affairs. Surveys Branch
- Finding aid:
Cartographic material (Paper) Finding aid are available in the main reference room. RG88M 82303/12. (90: Open)Cartographic material (Electronic) Finding aids are available in ArchiviaNet. Paper finding aids are available in the main reference room. RG88M 88970; RG88M 912032; RG88M 923038; RG88M 934018. (90: Open)Cartographic material (No finding aid) RG88M 889177; RG88M 934023. (Restrictions not set)(Other) Finding aids are available. Please consult lower level descriptions. (96: Restrictions vary)Cartographic material (Microform) Index maps on microfiche, arranged numerically by topographic sheet number at the 1:500 000 scale, provide access to the items relating to the numbered (156 index maps) and Polaris (37 index maps) operations. The index maps show the flight lines. These microfiches are located in the main reference room. RG21M 1968-00002-X. (Restrictions not set)Cartographic material (Paper) Index cards, prepared by the National Air Photo Library, provide information on flights, photographs taken and map sheets (with the exception of the Labrador operation). These index cards are located in Room 612, Pdlc. RG21M 1968-00002-X. (90: Open)Cartographic material (Paper) List by operation showing the range of boxes and rolls at the date is found with the accession file. RG21M 1968-00002-X. (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- Source of title:
- Title based on contents of the series.
- Custodial history:
RG88M 82303/12 - transferred from Energy, Mines & Resources Canada in Oct. 1981. RG88M 87803/29 - transferred from the Canada Centre for Mapping (Ottawa) in 1988. RG88M 88970 - transferred from Chief of Survey Regulations, Canada Centre for Surveying, Energy, Mines & Resources Canada, in 1988. RG88M 889177 - transferred from the Chief Geographer, Geographical Services, Canada Centre for Mapping, Energy, Mines & Resources Canada, Dec. 1988. RG88M 912032 - transferred from the Dept. of Energy, Mines and Resources. RG88M 923038 - transferred from the Canada Centre for Mapping in 1992. RG88M 934018 - transferred from the National Atlas Information Service, Canada Centre for Mapping, Mapping & Remote Sensing Sector, National Resources Canada, 2 Nov. 1993. RG88M 934023 - transferred from the Aeronautical Chart Information Service, Canada Centre fro Mapping, Surveys, Mapping & Remote Sensing Sector, Natural Resources Canada in Oct. 1993. RG21M 1968-00002-X - transferred by the Dept. of Energy, Mines and Resources from storage in accessions 59K4 and 614 at the Ottawa Federal Records Centre in April 1968 and Dec. 1969. The index maps were transferred from the National Air Photo Library in June 1971 (accession 71-8644).
- Cartographic math data:
- Scales differ., Scale 1:7 500 000, Scales 1:500 000 and 1:506 880, Scales [ca. 1:6 758 400] and [ca. 1:8 448 000]
- Associated material note:
- RG21M 1968-00002-X : The National Air Photo Library (Dept. of Energy, Mines and Resources) holds the complementary collection of trimetrogon photographs, both negatives and prints, produced by the Royal Canadian Air Force from 1945 onwards.
- Related material:
- Canada 1992 referendum maps: Published map also available: G3402.F9 1992 .C36 H1, MCR 122, 1200404882. Indian treaties and surrenders from 1680 to 1890, volume I and II. Ottawa : King's Printer, 1905. Results of the 35th federal election, accompanied by a copy of pg. B8 of the Ottawa Citizen, Oct. 23, 1993 showing a simplified version of the House of Commons map (see accesion file 8930-RG88-20). Related electronic records may be found in RG88M, accession C0000274. Flight line maps - a documentation file containing correspondence, reconnaissance reports, air photo flight logs and additional map sheets, is kept with the accession file 8930-RG88-15., For original photographs related to the Reindeer Lake and Churchill River Report, please consult Department of Defence FC prefix photographs, mikan number 4820802, Photo accession number 1967-052.
- Subject heading:
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Date modified: