Experimental Farm Service [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Experimental Farm Service [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R194-114-6-E, RG17M 79003/11, RG17M 73/5925, RG17-B-VII-2, RG17M 78903/39
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Moving images, Architectural and technical drawings, Maps and cartographic material, Photographs
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Series includes:
10 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Bilingual equivalent:
- Place of creation:
ca. 0.9 m of textual records.
ca. 6000 photographs: prints, negatives, slides, glass plate negatives, lantern slides.
ca. 652 architectural drawings : some ink on tracing linen, some blueprints.
345 film reels (ca. 98 h, 22 min).
77 p. : transcript, ill.; 35 x 51 cm or smaller.
68 maps : some mss., some ink on tracing linen.
45 leaves : ink, transcript, ill.; 67 x 107 cm or smaller.
32 technical drawings : some blueprints, some ink on tracing linen.
5 albums (705 photographs).
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Series consists of reports, building cards, photographs and motion picture films from Experimental Farms and Stations. The architectural, technical plans consist primarily of buildings erected at the Central Experimental Farm, Ottawa, and at various experimental farms, stations and sub-stations in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia. Other items include sectional maps, soil survey maps and maps of a Dominion reclamation farm of the 1930's. The motion picture films cover a broad range of topics including: the history of Agriculture Canada; the Central Experimental Farm; research and scientists in agriculture and education; farming; farm technology; marketing and other aspects. They can be found in the sub-series' entitled Motion Pictures from the Experimental Farm Service; and Central Experimental Farm Service.
- Additional name(s):
- Biography/Administrative history:
Canada. Experimental Farms Service : From 1938-1959, the Expermental Farms Service operated as a distinct entity within the Department of Agriculture. Originally, the Experimental Farm Stations Act of 1886 established five farm stations, including a central farm station in Ottawa. These stations were to conduct scientific research, and were known as experimental farms. The number of research sites and establishments increased significantly and various names were used, including experimental farms, experimental stations, sub-stations, and laboratories, usually preceded by the term Dominion. In 1918, after the postwar transfer of the last of its non-agricultural administrative responsibilities, the Department divided its activities among a number of branches; one of which was the Dominion Experimental Farms and Stations Branch. This administrative structure, with minor changes, remained in place until 1938 (Annual Report, 1918-1919). In a major reorganization in 1938, operations of the Department were divided into five Services. The Experimental Farms Service operated the growing number and variety of experimental farms. They ranged from comprehensive experimental farms, to more limited experimental stations and substations, to illustration stations, where specific studies were conducted on privately-owned farms. In 1959, a general departmental reorganization began, replacing the structure in effect for over twenty years. The new Research Branch integrated the Experimental Farms Service and the Science Service, and has since been responsible for operating the experimental farms and stations. RG17 General Inventory
- Finding aid:
Cartographic material (Paper) Finding aids are available in the main reference room. RG17M 79003/11; RG17M 78903/39. (90: Open)Architectural, technical drawings (Paper) Finding aids consists of detailed item lists and are available in the main reference room. RG17M 73/5925; RG78903/39; RG17M79003/11. (90: Open)Textual records (Paper) Finding aid available in the main reference room. RG17M 78903/39. (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- Source of title:
- Title is based on the contents of the series.
- Custodial history:
- RG17M 73/5925 - transferred to NMC in 1977 from Manuscript Division, RG17, Vol. 1953. RG17M 79003/11 - transferred in 1979 from the Dept. of Agriculture. RG17M 78903/39 - transferred in Sept. 1978 from the Brandon Research Station.
- Cartographic math data:
- Scales differ.
- Formatted contents note:
- The plans of experimental farm buildings across Canada include administration buildings, laboratories, residences, offices, general purpose barns, dairy, cattle, quarantine, horse and sheep barns, dairy buildings, piggeries, poultry and water fowl buildings, crop and feed storage building, greenhouses, implement sheds, farm machinery buildings, work shops, smoke house, log cabin, field cottage and building manuals, feeders and chutes, a records storage building, and a baloon annex with six bins.
- Availability of other formats note:
- Most of the plans of experimental farm buildings across Canada (RG17M 79003-11) have been microfilmed. The microfiche numbers, NMC 23882, 24035-24044, 45747-45751, 59302-59307, 69344-69346, 86649-86652, 104026-104076, 104196-104355, 104379-104390, 104410-104570, and 104579-104666 are listed in the finding aid.
- No further accruals are expected.
- Former archival reference no.:
- Other accession no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Copyright belongs to the Crown. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
- Date modified: