Sudbury District Office [textual record, architectural drawing, cartographic material]
Record Information – Brief1
Sudbury District Office [textual record, architectural drawing, cartographic material]Hierarchical level:SeriesDate:1904-1975.Reference:R216-42-5-E, RG10-C-V-2, RG10M 82303/26Type of material:Textual material, Architectural and technical drawings, Maps and cartographic materialFound in:Archives / Collections and FondsItem ID number:133602
Record Information – DetailsSeries includes:56 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)Date(s):1904-1975.Place of creation:No place, unknown, or undeterminedExtent:4.4 m of textual records
40 architectural drawings chiefly blueprints.
14 maps.Language of material:EnglishScope and content:Series consists of general operational records and central registry files, 1927-1975, created and maintained by the Sudbury District Office and its predecessors.
Series also includes maps and architectural drawings, 1904-1966: survey plans of various Indian reserves in the Algoma and Chapleau areas; miscellaneous maps of Northern Ontario centering on the Nippissing, Sudbury and Temagami areas; architectural drawings of Indian residences of various sizes and their furnishings and of cottages and bunkhouses of industrial firms in North Bay, Temagami and Bracebridge.Additional name(s):Biography/Administrative history:Indian and Eskimo Affairs Program (Canada). Sudbury District Office : Following the creation of the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development in 1966, agencies were joined to form larger administrative units called districts. In August 1967 the Sudbury District Office was created by the amalgamation of the Nipissing and Chapleau Agencies and the office of the District Superintendent of Schools (this last office based, up to that time, in Sault Ste, Marie). Even though the Nipissing and Chapleau Agencies offices were amalgamated and operations moved to Sudbury, smaller field offices were still maintained for a period at North Bay and Chapleau, respectively. That in the former consisted of an Indian education counselling unit, while the office in Chapleau was left in the charge of a Feild Officer under the direction of the District Superintendent in Sudbury. The Manitoulin Island and Sault Ste. Marie District offices were absorbed into the Sudbury District in 1976. The Abitibi (Ontario) band, which was transferred to Sudbury from the Abitibi District in Quebec in 1972, changed its name to Wahgoshig in 1986. The Brunswick House band briefly changed its name to Brunswick in 1972 before reverting back to its original name. The Manitoulin Unceded band changed its name to Wikwemikong in 1968. Finding aid 10-157: Guide to Indian Affairs Field Office Organization in Ontario, 1845-1990.Finding aid:Architectural drawings (Paper) Finding aid is available in the main reference room. RG10M 82303/26. (90: Open)Cartographic material (Paper) Finding aid is available in the main reference room. RG10M 82303/26. (90: Open)Cartographic material (Electronic) Please consult lower level descriptions. RG10M 82303/26. (90: Open)Architectural drawings (Electronic) Please consult lower level descriptions. RG10M 82303/26. (90: Open)Additional information:Source of title:Title is based on the contents of the series.Custodial history:The architectural drawings and maps originated in the Sudbury District Office of the Dept. of Indian and Northern Affairs. Transferred from Federal Archives Division, RG10, Acc. 77-8/127, in Sept. 1980.Cartographic math data:Scales differ.Availability of other formats note:Architectural drawings, cartographic materials: NMC 142884-142896, 142941-142979, 52075.Dates of creation note:An undated map and four undated architectural drawings fall within the date range of 1904, 1966.Accruals:Further accruals are expected.Related material:See also related records in the following series: Nipissing Agency, Chapleau Agency, Sault Ste. Marie Agency, Manitoulin Island Agency and Parry Sound Agency.Source:Government
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Date modified: