Franc R. Joubin fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Franc R. Joubin fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R4700-0-4-E, MG31-J36
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Photographs, Art, Objects (including medals and pins), Maps and cartographic material, Architectural and technical drawings, Moving images, Sound recordings
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=106142&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
9 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
15.2 m of textual records.
ca. 13,601 photographs chiefly col., b&w.
17 prints photomechanical reproductions.
3 drawings pen and ink, pen and ink with watercolour.
1 painting watercolour.
1 collage cut and paste.
1 medal silver.
ca. 1589 maps and technical drawings.
4 videocassettes (4 h, 4 min, 5 s).
1 audio disc (3 min).
1 audio cassette (37 min).
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of papers covering Joubin's geological and mining activities from the mid 1930s to 1993. This includes extensive documention on the discovery and development of uranium at Elliot Lake with Joe Hirsborn in the 1950s; Joubin's consulting work for Canadian mining companies, Britain's Rio Tinto; extensive exploration work in over 50 countries on behalf of the United Nations plus the search for oil and gas in Hudson Bay and British Columbia. Material relating to Joubin's humanist causes, Candian universities and other philantrophy as well as Joubin's personal correspondence, speeches and memberships is also included. Also included in the fonds are photographs, art work and a medal relating to Joubin's life and career including his early years, his education, mining experiences, the discovery and development of uranium sites in Ontario, his work with the United Nations, and various honors and awards. The fonds also contains sound recordings and moving images relating to the life and career of Joubin and includes a disc recording of the official opening of the Pronto Uranium Mine near Elliot Lake, Ontario, broadcast on CJIC Radio, Sault Ste. Marie, October 15, 1955; an interview of Joubin by Betty Kennedy; a video of the First Investiture Ceremony of the Order of Ontario; University of Victoria Graduation 1991 and television programme, "Elliot Lake's Best Kept Secrets" including an interview with Joubin. The fonds also consists of maps and drawings related to the career of Joubin, including maps of Canadian provinces, the Yukon, South America, and maps related to the Pipawa Exploration Ltd., and Sogepet exploration companies, 1936-1989.
- Biography/Administrative history:
Joubin, Franc R. (Franc Renault), 1911- : Francis Renault Joubin was born on 16 November 1911 in San Francisco of French parents. The family moved to Victoria in 1914 where Joubin's father enlisted in the Canadian Army and died of wounds in 1918. After a struggle to obtain enough funds, Joubin went to Victoria College in 1931 and then to the University of British Columbia where he graduated in geology in 1936. Joubin joined Pioneer Gold Mines in B.C., and was its exploration geologist 1938-1948 journeying over much of Canada for it. In 1948 he moved to Toronto to become a consulting geologist specializing in uranium. He was an early participant in the Beaverlodge uranium find in Saskatchewan. His knowledge of uranium resulted in the location and development of the "Big Z" uranium deposit at Elliot Lake, Ontario. In partnership with the mining financier Joe Hirshhorn, 56,000 acres were staked, a mining boom started and twelve large uranium mines went into production. Joubin was also deeply involved in the creation of the town of Elliot Lake. In the late 1950s Joubin was a consultant to mining companies, notably the British giant Rio Tinto. From 1958 to 1962 he reported on their mining properties spread over five continents. In 1962 Joubin became a full time, and after 1966 a part-time, consultant to the Bureau of Technical Assistance of the United Nations. He visited over 50 countries to locate mineral deposits and to make recommendations for further exploration and development. He made major discoveries in Trinidad, Poland, India and Somalia. Joubin continued to work as a consultant to mining companies and individuals in Canada. He was a founder of Sogepet, a consortium set up to search for oil and gas in Hudson Bay. In spite of a large investment and several wells drilled, nothing was found. Throughout his career Joubin has had a profound interest in improving the human condition. He has supported university students in completing their education, given generously to universities, supported organizations such as the East-West Round Table, the Canadian Peace Research Institute, the Antigonish Movement Fund as well as craft groups and local historical societies. His awards include honorary degrees from the following universities: British Columbia, St. Francis Xavier, Toronto, Dalhousie and York. He has won medals from the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, the Engineering Institute of Canada, the Canadian Nuclear Association, the Prospectors and Developers Association and the Ontario Crafts Council. He was made a member of the Order of Canada (1983), Order of Ontario (1988) and the Canadian Mining Hall of Fame (1989).
- Finding aid:
Textual records: (Paper) Finding aid 1853 is a file list. MSS1853Textual records: (Electronic) Finding aid. MSS1853
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000428.pdfSound recordings and moving images: (Electronic) See MISACS for item level descriptions.Medal: (Paper) Medal inventory no. 14226.Art: (Electronic) Item-level descriptions available in MINISIS.Maps (Acc. No. 945-027): (Other) An itemized listing is available for consultation.
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Acquired between 1990 and 1994 from Franc R. Joubin of Toronto.
- Subject heading:
- Indians of North America - Land tenure Igor Gouzenko, [1939-1991]
- Mines and mineral resources Jayfran (Firm), [1939-1991]
- Universities and colleges, [1926-1990] Canadian Institute for Radiation Safety, [1960-1988]
- Education, Higher, [1926-1990] Cobalt (Ont.), [1960-1988]
- Geologists - Canada, [1926-1991] Telluride Prospecting Syndicate, [1962-1989]
- Trade and professional associations, [1926-1990] Snowbird Group Exploration, [1962-1989]
- Diamond mines and mining - Canada, Eastern, [1945-1990] Franc R. Joubin & Associates, [1962-1989]
- Indians of North America - Canada, Eastern, [1945-1990] Consolidated Shunsby Mines, [1962-1989]
- Uranium mines and mining - Ontario, [1949-1990] Sogepet (Firm), [197- - 198-]
- Uranium mines and mining - Algoma (Ont. : District), [1949-1990] Collins Hall (Elliott Lake, Ont.), [1949-1990]
- Minerology - Algoma (Ont. : District), [1949-1990] Algoma Uranium Mines, [1949-1990]
- Geology - Algoma (Ont. : District), [1949-1990] Pronto Uranium, [1949-1990]
- Elliott Lake (Ont.) - Uranium mines and mining, [1949-1990] Elliott Lake Centre for Continuing Education, 1965-1989
- Elliott Lake (Ont.) - Uranium industry, [1949-1990] Elliott Lake (Ont.), 1955-1957
- Elliott Lake (Ont.) - Housing, [1949-1990] Uranium Festival (Elliott Lake, Ont.), [1949-1990]
- Petroleum - Prospecting - Canada, [1962-1969] Canadian International Development Agency, [1945-1990]
- Gas - Prospecting - Canada, [1962-1969] Rio Tinto Mining Company, [1945-1990]
- Uranium mines and mining - Safety measures, [1960-1988] Rexspar Uranium, [1945-1990]
- China - Description and travel, 1962 Bralorne and Pioneer Mines, [1945-1990]
- Environmental pollution, [1960-1988] Ma Murray, [1928-1990]
- Barrie (Ont.) - Real estate development, [1939-1991] Joe Hirshborn, [1928-1990]
- Gouzenko family, [1939-1991] Walter Gordon, [1928-1990]
- Economics - Sociological aspects, [1939-1991] Rabbi Feinberg, [1928-1990]
- James Endicott, [1928-1990]
- Cyrus Eaton, [1928-1990]
- Hommes politiques Canada
- Politicians Canada
- Pipawa Exploration, [1962-1989]
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Photographs: No restrictions on use. Various copyrights. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Artwork and medal: No restrictions. Some documents must be consulted under close supervision for conservation reasons. Various copyrights. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Maps: No restrictions. Reproductions are available as described in the Copyright Act.
Sound recordings and moving images: Reproduction and use in any form requires the written permission of the copyright owner and in some cases of the donor; please see item level descriptions for details.
- Date modified: