Moravian Brethren fonds [textual record (chiefly microform), moving images]
Record Information – Brief1
Moravian Brethren fonds [textual record (chiefly microform), moving images]Hierarchical level:FondsDate:1747-1955.Reference:R10993-0-9-E, MG17-D1Type of material:Textual material, Moving imagesFound in:Archives / Collections and FondsItem ID number:106010Context of this record:
Record Information – DetailsFonds includes:4 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)Date(s):1747-1955.Place of creation:Newfoundland and LabradorAdded country of publication:Pennsylvania, EnglandExtent:35 cm of textual records.
77 microfilm reels : negative and positive.
ca. 81 film reels.Language of material:EnglishAdded language of material:English, German, InuktitutScope and content:Fonds consists of the journals of various missionaries of the Moravian Brethren including that of John Christian Ehrhardt. Also included are mission diaries, correspondence, accounts of voyages and other records tied to the London Headquarters and the Labrador Missions papers which include documents referring to missions in Labrador. Microfilmed material is located on microfilm reels A-548 to A-572 and M-484 to M-535. Textual records have been divided into the following series: Journals; London Headquarters papers; and Labrador Missions papers.
Also included in fonds are travelogues and documentary films divided into a separate series entitled Moving images.Provenance:Additional name(s):
Biography/Administrative history:Moravian Brethren. Labrador Missions : The Moravian Church is a small protestant communion which, because of its strong ecumenical commitment, has had an influence out of all proportion to its numbers on protestant worship, evangelism, missions and theology. It traces its origins to the fifteenth century Hussite Unitas Fratrum (Unity of Brethren) in Bohemia and Moravia, but the original Brethren almost suffered extinction during the following centuries of religious persecution. The modern church derives chiefly from a group of the Brethren, under the leadership of Kristian David (1690-1751), which in 1722 obtained asylum on the estate in Saxony of the Lutheran Pietist Nikolaus Ludwig, Graf von Zinzendorf (1700-1760). There they established the present centre of their communion at Herrnhut, from which they derive their popular appellation of Herrnhuters. The emphasis of the Moravians on mission work among Indigenous peoples first brought the Brethren to North America in 1734. Their earliest settlement was at Savannah, Georgia, followed in 1740 by the Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, mission which became the centre of their present Northern Province. In 1752, they extended their efforts to Labrador. The pioneer expedition, led by John Christian Ehrhardt, disappeared soon after landing, but the first of several successful missions was established at Nain in 1771. This was followed by others at Okak in 1776 and at Hopedale in 1782. Later missions were opened at Nelson, 1828; Hebron, 1829; Zoar, 1864; Ramah, 1871; Makkovik, 1896; and Killinek, 1905. Although most of the missionaries were German, finances and supplies were provided by the English Brethren through the Society for the Futherance of the Gospel.Finding aid:Textual records (Electronic) Finding aid no. 339 includes a descriptive file list of the transcripts and originals in volumes 1 and 2, and a descriptive list of the contents of microfilm reels A-548 to A-572 and M-484 to M-535. MSS0339 (90: Open)
- Moravian Church - Labrador
- Moravian Church - Missions - Labrador
- Moravian Church. Happy Valley Mission (Labrador)
- Moravian Church. Kikkertaujak Mission (Labrador)
- Moravian Church. Nain Mission (Labrador)
- Moravian Church. Okak Mission (Labrador)
- Moravian Church. Killinek Mission (Labrador)
- Moravian Church. Makkovik Mission (Labrador)
- Moravian Church. Ramah Mission (Labrador)
- Moravian Church. Hopedale Mission (Labrador)
- Moravian Church. Hebron Mission (Labrador)
- Moravian Church. Zoar Mission (Labrador)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000058.pdfMoving images: (Electronic) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions.Additional information:Custodial history:The collection of Moravian Brethren records at the National Archives of Canada began in 1920-1921 with the transcription of some journals of the early Labrador missionaries from originals which were then at the headquarters of the Society for the Furtherance of the Gospel, London, U.K. In 1960, the records from the Labrador mission stations were microfilmed on 52 reels by the National Archives of Canada prior to their transfer to the Moravian Archives, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. A further 25 reels were microfilmed in 1962 from originals at the headquarters of the Moravian Church, London, U.K. Finally, a small quantity of original material was acquired in 1972. Photocopies of the marriage registrations included among the original documents were microfilmed in 1987., Moving image material consists of what are believed to be Ontario Government Films which were shipped to the Moravian Mission in the early 1920s. It was common at that time to receive the materials from England, where the Ontario government had an office. These films were found in the attic of the old Moravian Church in Happy Valley, Labrador and deposited with the National Archives of Canada in 1977.Availability of other formats note:Photocopies of the marriage registrations included among the original documents are also available on microfilm reel H-1806.Associated material note:The Museum of Civilization in Hull, Quebec, holds six reels of microfilm of records of the Moravian Brethren. The Museum acquired the reels from the Library of Congress which had microfilmed the originals at the Central Moravian Archives in Herrnhut, Germany in the 1930s.Source:Private
Textual records: The recipient of photocopies is responsible for determining if the material is protected by copyright and whether its use constitutes an infringement of the Canadian Copyright Act. The National Archives provides copies only for purposes of research and private study. Researchers wishing to reproduce entire reels of microfilm must obtain permission in writing from the Moravian Church. For reels A-548 to A-572, the researcher must contact the Moravian Church Archive and Library, Moravian Church House, 5-7 Muswell Hill, London, England, N10 3TJ. For reels M-484 to M-535, the researcher must contact the Moravian Archives of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 41 West Locust Street, Bethlehem, PA, USA 18018.
- Date modified: