Samuel A. Gitterman fonds [texual record, cartographic material, graphic material]
Record Information – Brief1
Samuel A. Gitterman fonds [texual record, cartographic material, graphic material]Hierarchical level:FondsDate:1933-1983.Reference:R4067-0-0-E, MG31-B49Type of material:Textual material, Architectural and technical drawings, Photographs, Maps and cartographic materialFound in:Archives / Collections and FondsItem ID number:105859Context of this record:
Record Information – DetailsFonds includes:9 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)Date(s):1933-1983.Place of creation:OntarioExtent:1.6 m of textual records.
507 architectural drawings.
385 photographs b&w, negatives, slides.
8 maps.Language of material:EnglishScope and content:Fonds consists of files on Gitterman's architectural work for Central Mortgage and Housing Corp., private architectural practice in Ottawa, National House Builders Association and as an international housing consultant to third world countries. There are files on modular prefabrication construction and self-contained sewage units; also files on architectural and building research organizations.
The fonds contains photographs depicting the activities of the Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation.
The fonds also includes architectural drawings representing approximately 80 building projects primarily in the Ottawa region relating to the career of Samuel A. Gitterman.
In addition, there are maps relating to Kingston, Ontario, Churchill, Manitoba, Brazil, Guatemala and Malawi.Provenance:Biography/Administrative history:Gitterman, Samuel A., 1911- : S.A. Gitterman was born in Montreal in 1911. He studied architecture at McGill University and graduated with a B.A. in 1935 after winning numerous prizes in architecture. After working for several architectural firms, he became an architect for the Dept. of National Defence in 1937. Two years later Gitterman became an architect for the National Housing Administration, where he assisted in the development of prefabricated housing. In 1943, Gitterman was appointed director of its Town Planning Division. In 1946, he transferred to Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), where he was Chief Architect and Planner, 1946-1954. Much of his work consisted of large scale government housing projects, low cost single family units, ways to improve house construction methods and town planning for new subdivisions. In 1959, Gitterman returned to private practice in Ottawa. He designed apartment buildings, houses, offices and stores. He was active in laying out several subdivisions and townsites. He was also Technical Director of the National House Builders Association and oversaw the construction of two experimental houses. In 1965, Gitterman became Senior Advisor on Technology to the President of CMHC. He was also a member of numerous committees involved in residential construction. Before his retirement in 1974, Gitterman was doing consulting work on behalf of third world countries. This work took him to Barbados, Brazil, Bangladesh, Malawi and Nigeria. Throughout his career Gitterman was involved in architectural and town planning associations, both nationally and locally.Finding aid:Textual records: (Paper) Finding aid 1851 is a file list. MSS1851Textual records: (Electronic) Finding aid. MSS1851
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000426.pdfArchitectural, tehnical drawings, cartographic material (Other) Please consult lower level descriptions. 9011. (90: Open)Additional information:Subject heading:
- Ottawa (Ont.) - City planning, [1960-1977] Canadian International Development Agency, [1965-1983]
- Housing, Single family - Canada, [1947-1971] Organization of American States, [1965-1983]
- Public housing - Canada, 1947-1971] Canada. Dept. of Finance, [1939-1966]
- Kanata (Ont.) - City planning, [1960-1970] National House Builders Association, 1959-1977
- Architects - Canada, n.d., 1939-1983 Housing and Urban Development Association of Canada, [ca.1970 - 1977]
- Housing - Barbados, [1965-1983] Valley Land Development (Ottawa) Ltd., [1960-1970]
- Housing - Brazil, [1965-1983] Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation, 1947-1971
- Prefabricated housing - Canada, [1939-1945]
- Prefabricated housing - United States, [1939-1945]
- Sewage tanks - Canada, 1964-1976
- Architecture - Societies, etc, 1939-1973
- Ottawa (Ont.) - Housing development, [1960-1977]
- Schools - Fiji, [1965-1983]
- Schools - Malawi, [1965-1983]
- Schools - Design and construction, [1965-1983]
- Schools - Bangladesh, [1965-1983]
- Research institutes - Bangladesh, [1965-1983]
- Research institutes - Malawi, [1965-1983]
- Research institutes - Fiji, [1965-1983]
- Low cost housing, [1939-1966]
Architectural drawings : There are no restrictions concerning access or reproduction for research purposes. Credit Library and Archives Canada. Reproduction is subject to the Candian Copyright Act.
Cartographic material: There are no restrictions on access or reproduction. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
- Date modified: