Lambart family fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Lambart family fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- [ca. 1820]-1999.
- R1398-0-X-E, MG30-C243
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Photographs, Stamps and stamp products, Art, Maps and cartographic material, Sound recordings, Objects (including medals and pins), Moving images
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=105726&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
12 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- [ca. 1820]-1999.
- Bilingual equivalent:
- Place of creation:
ca. 2 m of textual records.
ca. 8 311 photographs : ca. 7 284 b&w and coul.; ca. 1 025 nitrate negatives; 1 glass plate negative; 1 tintype.
ca. 284 postal covers : franked.
ca. 236 prints : etchings, engravings, photomechanical, offset lithographs, half-tones.
ca. 137 drawings : pencil, pen and ink, charcoal.
35 watercolours : watercolour, pen and ink, tempera, gouache.
8 maps : 4 coul.; 4 blackline prints; ms. annotations ; 61 x 141 cm or smaller.
1 videocassette (30 min).
1 audio cassette (30 min).
2 art quilts : cotton fabric.
ca. 3 810 cut-outs : gouache on zinc.
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of records documenting the lives of Octavius Henry Lambart and Hannah Sarah Howard, who settled in Ottawa ca. 1874, and their descendants in Canada. Among the descendants documented are Evelyn Lambart, co-director of many of Norman McLaren's films at the National Film Board; her sister, Hyacinthe Lambart, an air pilot; their brothers, Arthur Lambart and Edward Lambart, who died serving in the Second World War; and their father, Fred Lambart, a civil engineer. The textual records have been arranged in the following series: Octavius Henry Lambart and Hannah Sarah Howard records; Lady Cavan, Caroline Augusta Littleton Lambart records; Caroline Augusta Lambart records; Howard Frederick John Lambart and Helen Marianne Wallbridge records; Helen Hyacinthe Lambart records; Frederick Arthur Henry Lambart records; Evelyn Lambart records; Edward Howard Wallbridge Lambart records; and Lambart and Wallbridge family papers and memorabilia. Photographic material consists of portraits of Evelyn Lambart and her family, colleagues, and friends; photos of her colleagues working at the animation department at the National Film Board include Norman McLaren, Grant Munro and George Dunning, 1943-1948; quilts done by Evelyn Lambart; Evelyn Lambart's house in Sutton and family cottage at Blue Sea Lake, Québec, and the Lambart family home; a B.C. photo survey; civil aviation in Canada, the USA, and Europe; Charles Lindbergh, 1927; Rideau Hall, Ottawa, 1913; various disasters such as shipwrecks, fires, floods; group photographs; buildings in Québec City and Philipsburg, Quebec, and Ottawa, Ont.; Blackfoot Confederacy, Calgary, Alberta; and postcard views of Canadian scenes (1905-1915). Fonds also includes a photo album entitled, "Vine Lynne Canada and Abroad", depicting Lord Dufferin's Fancy Dress Ball, 1876; the National Council of Women, 1896; early hydro-electric development, 1908; and various provincial and Canada-USA boundary surveys, topographical surveys, trips, and expeditions to western Canada, the Yukon, Alaska, and the Northwest Territories, 1909-1925. An other photo acquisition consists of 373 colour slides, particularly three color slides of Norman McLaren taken in 1942, 121 colour prints, 1144 black and white prints (both loose and in five albums), 2 black and white negatives; one tintype, a small watercolour entitled Pantheon du Quai Hotel de Ville, inscribed to Evelyn Lambart by Gerald Budner, July 1989; metal cutouts used by Evelyn Lambart in creating an animated film, presumably from her last film "The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse"; an address book, a book containing lists of gifts given and received, manuscript materials relating to commissions for embroidery, the Lambart family tree, various press clippings relating to Evelyn Lambart and Norman McLaren. The photography covers the following general subjects: Evelyn Lambart's home, gardens, cats and activities at Sutton, 1969-1998; the Lambart family, including both portraits and activities of family members, from prior to the First World War to the Second World War; albums maintained by Evelyn Lambart during the 1930s and 1940s, showing primarily summer activities, sports, friends, vacations, but also including material on the Ontario School of Art in the late 1930s; activities at the National Film Board animation studios, from the early 1940s to the early 1950s, including photographs of staff, particularly Norman McLaren; the activities of the staff preparing the Book of Remembrance. Identification of the photography is uneven. This donation was donated jointly and equally by Cotton Aimers and Cornelia Eyre. The art material of the last donation consists of two cotton fabric appliqués of countryside, created by Evelyn Lambart after moving in the 1970s to her retirement house in Sutton. They were designed to be hang up on the wall. The exact dates of their execution is unknown, and the donor could give only scanty details about the contents. From her identifications, we know that the group of women depicted includes Joan Matthews, a local person who teaches yoga, and who can be identified from her "white blooming hair" (description from correspondence with the donor). The other piece is a country view in Abercorn, a small area adjacent to Sutton and near the United States border; the donor's former house is shown in the foreground. Ms. Lambart created many of these sorts of art pieces, as can be seen in photographs which form part of this accession, but their current locations and ownership are unknown. Philatelic material consists of 284 franked English postal covers, ca. 1830-1845. The art portion of the Lambart Family fonds consists of material both created and collected by members of the Lambart family, especially Evelyn Lambart which include: sketches and a single diary entry from Evelyn Lambart's National Film Board journal; a decorated letter and envelope to Evelyn Lambart by Norman McLaren; a pen and ink drawing of birds; an heraldic drawing for "Book of Remembrance" by Alan Beddoe. Other items include designs, drawings and greeting cards by Norman McLaren to Evelyn Lambart; an engraved portrait of Mrs. Littleton; a lithograph of an unknown man; postcards of Jasper National Park published by Printing & Litho. Ltd., Vancouver, British Columbia. Also included is a scrapbook of original drawings and watercolours as well as English and European engraved and lithographed portraits and scenes. Cartographic material consists primarily of maps of Canada produced by the Topographic Survey of Canada, Department of the Interior, with information relating to airports, airline companies, air transportation routes and with the location of airports, airline companies, and airplane clubs throughout Canada added to the maps. There is also a map showing the location of airports and radio beacons across Canada produced by the Department of Transport along with a map showing experimental air mail service from Red Bay to Ottawa published for "Canadian Aviation." Audiovisual material consists of excerpts from films by Evelyn Lambart and Norman McLaren as well as an interview of Evelyn Lambart by Sam Kula about her career and the collection of films at the former National Film, Television and Sound Archives. Medallic material consists of a Confederation medal awarded to Evelyn Lambart.
- Additional name(s):
- National Film Board of Canada
- Harris & Ewing
- McRae Bros
- Noverre & Smith
- Sheldon Photo
- Brock, John Allan
- Littleton, Caroline
- Walford, Alfred
- Freeman, Pearl
- Morrison Studio
- T.H. Everitt & Son
- Lambart, Helen H, 1908-1988
- Gobeli, André
- Cavan, Lady
- Beddoe, Alan, 1893-1975
- Artist: McLaren, Norman, 1914-1987
- Associated name: Lambart, Frederick H.J
- Associated name: Lambart, Octavius Henry, 1855-1919
- Associated name: Howard, Hannah Sarah, 1846-1911
- Associated name: Lambart, H.F. (Howard Frederick John), 1880-1946
- Associated name: Lambart, Helen Marianne Wallbridge, 1876-1932
- Associated name: Lambart, Edward Howard Wallbridge, 1917-1943
- Associated name: Lambart, Evelyn Mary
- Associated name: Lambart, Frederick Arthur Henry, 1910-1940
- Associated name: Lambart, Caroline Augusta, 1883-1949
- Photographer: Livernois, Jules-Ernest, 1851-1933
- Photographer: William Notman & Son
- Photographer: Photographic Stores Limited
- Photographer: Pittaway
- Photographer: Pittaway, Alfred George, 1858-1930
- Photographer: Powis, John
- Photographer: Notman & Sandham
- Photographer: Notman, William, 1826-1891
- Photographer: Topley, William James, 1845-1930
- Photographer: Karsh, Yousuf, 1908-2002
- Finding aid:
Multiple media (Electronic) This finding aid describes multiple media at the file and item level : textual records (volumes 1 to 13), photographs ( boxes 7; 20; 05048; 05189; 75G; OS 0076.1 -- OS 0076.5; PA-187636 -- PA-187642; PA-200145; PA-205713; RDV 015; RV3 215); object (boîte 14601); carto. (boîte 2000033005); art (31; 20266; 2000850096--2000850097; 2000850099--2000850100; 2000850102; A148-01; A571/X1--A571/X6; C-107210--C-107218; C-140817--C-140823; C-142739; C-148372--C-148373; HER-113; PC-02--PC-06; PC-08--PC-17) MSS1840 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000417.pdfCartographic material (Other) Please consult lower level descriptions. (90: Open)Photographs (Electronic) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions. (90: Open)Photographs (1990-087 DAP) (Paper) Refer to the Photography Acquisition and Research collection file for list of captions. FA-236. (90: Open)Photographs (1992-394 DAP) (Paper) Volume 1 photocopies of original envelopes for nitrate negatives, and photocopies of Albums 1 and 2 located in the Photography Acquisition and Research collection file. FA-273. (90: Open)Art material (Electronic) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions. (90: Open)Art material (1995-034 DAP) (Paper) Refer to the Documentary Art Acquisition and Research collection file for inventory list. (90: Open)Printing plates (Electronic) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions. (90: Open)Moving images and sound recording (Electronic) Refer to MINISIS for item-level descriptions. (90: Open)Photographs (2009-00656-9) (Paper) FA-459. (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- The contents of MG30-C243 volumes 1-2 and 11-12 were transferred in 1990 from what was then the Documentary Art and Photography Division, which had received the material from Evelyn Lambart of Sutton, Quebec, via the National Capital Commission. The contents of MG30-C243 volumes 3-9 came from the Estate of Hyacinthe Lambart, via a private dealer. The contents of MG30-C243 volume 10 were received directly from Evelyn Lambart in 1993 and most of the contents of MG30-C243 volume 13 were received from her Estate in 1999 (some material in the Town Mouse and the Country Mouse file was received in 1995).
- Related material:
- See also the Frederick H.J. Lambart fonds (MG30-B74).
- Subject heading:
- National Film Board of Canada
- Ottawa (Ont.) - Social life and customs, n.d., 1868-1894 UNESCO, 1956
- Ottawa (Ont.) - Gardening, n.d. 1868-1894 India, 1953
- Canada. Canadian Armed forces - History - World War II, [194?] China, 1950
- World War II - Casualties (Statistics, etc.), [194?] Norman McLaren, 1944-1987
- Caddying - Alberta, 1931 Stuart Legg, 1944-1945
- Legal instruments, 1834-1945 Royal Military College (Kingston, Ont.), [19?}
- Universities and colleges, 1834-1845 Evelyn Mary Lambart, 1914-1987
- Surveyors, 1837-1945 National Film Board of Canada, [1940s-1987]
- Filmmakers - Canada, n.d., 1938-1983 Ontario College of Art, n.d., 1938-1943
- Women motion picture producers and directors - Canada, 1938-1987 Edward Howard Wallbridge Lambart, 1837-1845
- Motion pictures, [between 1814 and 1987] Jasper Park Lodge (Alberta), 1931
- Motion picture industry, [between 1914 and 1987] Canada. Army. Royal Canadian Air Force, 
- Motion picture producers and directors - Correspondence, reminiscences, etc., [between 1914 and 1987] Canada. Army. Royal Canadian Artillery, [194?]
- Surveyors, 1837-1945 Helen Marianne Wallbridge Lambart, 1837-1945
- Mountaineering, 1920s Howard Frederick John Lambart, 1837-1945
- Skating, 1930s Hannah Sarah Howard Lambart, n.d., 1868-1894
- Film animation, 1940s Octavius Henry Lambart, n.d., 1868-1894
- Ottawa Film Society
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Movings images and sound recording: Reproduction with written permission of copyright owner and with written permission of donor.
Graphic material (photographs) (acc. nos. 1964-005, 1964-047, 1964-056, 1967-050, 1969-090, 1990-087, 1992-394, 1993-257, 1995-034): No restrictions on use or reproduction (except for photographs by Yousuf Karsh - see accession no. 1987-054). Various copyrights on photographs created after January 1, 1949; copyright expired on pre-1949 photographs. Credit: Name of photographer / Library and Archives Canada/ e-copy number.+
Printing plates: No restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright expired. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
Cartographic material: No restrictions. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
Medal: No restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright expired. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
Art material (1982-145 PIC): No restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright expired. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
Art material (1995-034 DAP): No restrictions on use or reproduction. Various copyrights. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
Art material (1992-394 DAP): No restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright is unknown. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
Art material (1993-257 DAP, 1990-087 DAP): The recipient of copies is responsible for determining whether material is subject to copyright and for ascertaining the name of the person or organization holding copyright. The recipient is also responsible for determining whether any use of copyrighted material does or does not constitute an infringement of copyright under the Copyright Act. Copyright rests mainly with the Estates of Evelyn Lambart and Norman McLaren. For material by other artists each individual item must be checked for copyright.
Textual records: The recipient of copies is responsible for determining whether material is subject to copyright and for ascertaining the name of the person or organization holding copyright. The recipient is also responsible for determining whether any use of copyrighted material does or does not constitute an infringement of copyright under the Copyright Act.
Graphic material (Art) (2009-00656-9): Copyright: Evelyn Lambart; Credit: Evelyn Lambart / Library and Archives Canada / e-copy number
- Date modified: