Co-operative Commonwealth Federation and New Democratic Party fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief1
Co-operative Commonwealth Federation and New Democratic Party fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R3239-0-9-E, MG28-IV1
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Sound recordings, Art, Photographs, Architectural and technical drawings
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
4 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Bilingual equivalent:
- Click here
- Place of creation:
83.70 m of textual records.
129 audio reels.
13 audio discs.
1117 photographs : 954 b&w and 163 col.
45 reproductions : offset lithographs (posters).
1 architectural drawing.
- Language of material:
- Added language of material:
- English, French
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of papers that document the history, development, and policies of the New Democratic Party from its beginnings to its leadership under Edward Broadbent. Records include national conventions, interprovincial conferences, federal elections, related organizations, research and administrative files from the National/Federal office.
Fonds also includes sound recordings documenting radio talks and radio speeches, NDP and CLC convention proceedings; part of the proceedings of the first provincial convention of the CCF Party of Newfoundland held in Bay Roberts; part of the proceedings of the CCF National Organization Conference held in Winnipeg; dictations; part of the proceedings of the 14th Biennial Convention of the CCF Party held in Winnipeg; selections from speeches by T.C. Douglas; proceedings of the founding and leadership convention of the New Democratic Party in Ottawa, with simultaneous interpretation; talks by CCF members; radio talks and speeches by leaders of the CCF on issues of public concern; a speech by Jim Laxer, member of the executive of the Ontario Waffle Movement; and speechs given as part of the Waffle series on culture, held in Ottawa, 1975. Speakers include George Martell, Patrick MacFadden, James Lorimer, Bruce Kidd, George Ryga, and Madeline Parent.
Finally there are photographs documenting party conventions as well as elections, political activities and individuals, as well as political and election posters.
Also included in this fonds is a photographic portrait by Karsh of the Hon. T.C. Douglas, leader of the New Democratic Party as well as campaign posters from the New Democratic Party of Canada featuring party issues as well as posters of candidate David Lewis.
Fonds consists of a main floor plan of the Winnipeg Auditorium.
- Biography/Administrative history:
Co-operative Commonwealth Federation : The Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF), a political party, was founded in August of 1932 in Calgary at a conference which united various farm, labour and socialist groups from across the country into a federal political party. J.S. Woodsworth (1874-1942) led the party as national leader until shortly before his death in 1942. He was succeeded by another founding CCFer, M.J. Coldwell (1888-1975). Coldwell was defeated in the general election of 1958 but remained party leader until 1960. During the CCF Convention Hazen Argue (1921- ) was elected to the post. In 1956, after the birth of the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC), negotiations began between the CLC and the CCF to bring about an alliance between organized labour and the political left in Canada. In 1958 a joint CCF-CLC committee, the National Committee for the New Party (NCNP), was formed to create a "new" social democratic political party. The NCNP spent the next three years laying down the foundations of the 'New Party'. In 1961, at the end of a five-day long convention, the New Democratic Party was born and T.C. Douglas (1904-1986) was elected its first leader. In 1971 upon Douglas' retirement, longtime socialist and former CCF National Secretary and Party President, David Lewis, Q.C. (1909-1981) was elected Party Leader. Lewis retired from active politics in 1975 and Edward Broadbent (1936- ) was chosen as Lewis' replacement.
- Finding aid:
Textual records (Electronic) The finding aid is a file list. MSS0427 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000001492.pdfSound recordings (Electronic) Refer to MINISIS for select item-level descriptions. (Restrictions not set)Architectural, technical drawings (Paper) Please consult lower level description. 890344. (90: Open)(Electronic) All or some of the documents described have been digitized and are available at the following address: (90: Open)
http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_105674(Electronic) All or some of the documents described have been digitized and are available at the following address: (90: Open)
http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_105674(Electronic) Les documents décrits ont été complètement ou en partie numérisés et sont disponibles à l'adresse suivante : (90: Open)
http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_105674?usrlang=fr(Electronic) Les documents décrits ont été complètement ou en partie numérisés et sont disponibles à l'adresse suivante : (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
Received at various times between 1962 and 1984 from the NDP Federal Office. Material received in 1975 was organized by Anne Scotton through the generosity of the New Democratic Party., Part of the collection was microfilmed in 1977., For the most part, these records were created and kept by the Federal Offices of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation and the New Democratic Party. In two cases, there are records pertaining to the activities of the Canadian Labour Congress and the Canadian Welfare Council / Canadian Council on Social Development that were created by former Federal NDP Secretary Clifford Scotton. A number of the union files were created by Scotton when he served in a number of positions within the CLC from 1959 to 1966, and most of the CWC/CCSD files were the result of Scotton's membership on that organization's Board of Governors. Although Scotton was not representing the CCF or the NDP in either of these organizations, these files have been retained because of his importance within the Party, and because of the strong ties between the NDP and the CLC and CCSD.
- Arrangement note:
- The division between CCF and NDP components is not absolute and researchers may find material from the CCF period in the NDP portion of the collection, and vice versa. Also note that the series laid out are not mutually exclusive and, for example, election material may be found in Federal Office files and Reference series, in addition to the Elections series.
- Availability of other formats note:
- Portions (vols 1-60, 227-249) of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation papers are also available on microfilm, including national conventions and interprovincial conferences available on reels C-9264 to C-9271; portions of the National Office files available on reels C-4476 to C-4478; portions of related organizations available on reels C-9272 to C-9290; portions of the Co-operative Press News releases available on reels C-7022 to C-7028.
- Subject heading:
- Canada. Parliament - Elections, 1932-1958, [1946, 1953-1980] New Democratic Party, 1912-1983
- Speeches, addresses, etc., Canadian, [1932-1960] Canadian Labour Congress, [1934-1980]
- Election campaigns - Canada, [1832-1958] Canadian Council on Social Development, [1934-1980]
- Campaign literature - Canada, [1946, 1932-1980] New Party, [1958-1983]
- Campaign literature, Canadian, [1946, 1932-1980] Socialist International, [1932-1980]
- Trade-unions - Canada - Political activity, [1932-1980]
- Youth - Canada - Political activity, [1932-1980]
- Social-Credit Party of Canada - Publishing, [1912-1980]
- Political parties - Canada - Provinces, [1934-1980]
- Youth - Canada - Societies and clubs, [1934-1980]
- Women - Canada - Political activity, [1934-1980]
- Communist Party of Canada - Publishing, [1912-1980]
- Socialist parties, [1932-1963]
- Co-operative Commonwealth Federation - Platforms, [1932-1962]
- Co-operative Commonwealth Federation - Publishing, [1905, 1923-1936]
- New Democratic Party - Committees, [1947-1980]
- Political parties - Canada - Congresses, 1932-1983
- Co-operative Commonwealth Federation - Financial statements, [1932-1962]
- New Democratic Party - Membership, [1947-1980]
- New Democratic Party - Officials and employees, [1947-1980]
- Women - Canada - Societies and Clubs
- Socialism Canada
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Sound recordings: Reproduction with permission of the New Democratic Party.
Moving images: Reproduction with written permission of copyright owner and with written permission of donor.
Prints: Access is restricted. Contact the Manuscript Division for details. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Architectural, technical drawings: There is no restriction on access to or reproduction of this material. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
You can order materials in advance to be ready for you when you visit. You will need a user card to do this.
Cannot visit us on site? You can purchase a copy to be sent to you. Some restrictions may apply.
- Date modified: