Clifford Sifton fonds [Multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Clifford Sifton fonds [Multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R7693-0-0-E, MG27-IID15
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Architectural and technical drawings, Maps and cartographic material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=105391&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
9 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
33.97 m of textual records.
6 architectural drawings
13 maps 5 col., 5 photocopies, 2 blueprints, 1 ms. 100 x 156 cm or smaller.
3 views b&w 46 x 68 cm.
1 atlas (3 v.) : ill. (folded), col. maps (folded) 27 cm.
1 technical drawing col. 21 x 57 cm.
1 atlas (1 v.) : 24 folded leaves of plates 25 cm.
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of political papers including subseries of general correspondence, Ottawa Letterbooks, Manitoba Letterbooks, Indian Affairs Letterbooks, Yukon correspondence, McCreary correspondence, telegram books, and resignation correspondence, 1889-1926; Alaska Boundary Tribunal Papers with subseries on correspondence, background documents, proceedings of the tribunal, articles and clippings, 1898-1904, 1915, 1942; Investment papers with subseries on correspondence; Georgian Bay Canal papers (with sub subseries on correspondence, Canal files, speeches, and clippings) and general investments, 1891-1932; subject files, 1880-1929; family papers, 1925-1957; and Dafoe Papers, 1929-1955, transcripts, 12 cm and originals, 1 cm. Fonds consists of maps, drawings and other cartographic material pertaining to the proposed creation of the Georgian Bay Ship Canal system. Included are 2 atlases, one in 3 volumes entitled "Georgian Bay Ship Canal survey" originally created to accompany a 1908 Department of Public Works report on the Georgian Bay Ship Canal and the other in a single volume entitled "Typical views on the projected route". A number of maps and views along with a technical drawing depicting various dams and bridges are also included. Fonds also consists of architectural drawings (floor plans, elevations and sections) of a residence for Major John Wright Sifton, the eldest of Sir Clifford Sifton's five sons.
- Additional name(s):
- Biography/Administrative history:
Sifton, Clifford, Sir, 1861-1929 : Born in Middlesex County, Ontario, Clifford Sifton was educated at Victoria University, Cobourg, Ontario, and was called to the Manitoba Bar in 1882. First elected in 1888 as Member of the Legislative Assembly for North Brandon, he was from 1891 to 1896 Attorney-General and Minister of Education of Manitoba. In 1896, he met, on behalf of the Province of Manitoba, with the Commissioners of the federal government to settle the constitutional litigation arising from the Manitoba School Law. Elected in 1896 as Liberal Member of Parliament for Brandon, he was Superintendent-General of Indian Affairs and Minister of the Interior until 1905, where he effectively pursued an immigration policy which brought many settlers to the Canadian west. On account of a disagreement regarding the educational clauses in the Northwest Territory Autonomy Bill, he resigned from the Cabinet in 1905, yet remained a Liberal M.P. until 1911. He also served as British agent at the Alaska Boundary Tribunal in 1903. Clifford Sifton was Chairman of the Commission of Conservation, 1909-1918. Throughout his career, he was an active businessman, investing heavily in natural resource companies, transportation and newspapers, notably the Manitoba Free Press. See: Johnson Directory of Parliament, p. 530; Canadian Encyclopedia, p. 1695.
- Finding aid:
Textual records (Electronic) The finding aid consists variously of lists or descriptive lists, arranged chronologically, depending on the volume and series. MSS0136 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000001987.pdfCartographic material, technical drawing (Paper) Please consult lower level descriptions. Itemized listing is available. 78902/3940. (90: Open)Architectural, technical drawings (Paper) Please consult lower level descriptions. An itemized listing is available. 78903/67. (90: Open)(Electronic) All or some of the documents described have been digitized and are available at the following address: (90: Open)
http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_105391(Electronic) Les documents décrits ont été complètement ou en partie numérisés et sont disponibles à l'adresse suivante : (90: Open)
http://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.lac_mikan_105391?usrlang=frTextual records (Microform) Microformes : 2 fiches (1 copy) MSS0136 (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Most of the Sifton Papers (vols. 1-272) were received in 1954 from Lt. Col. Victor Sifton. The remaining papers were received in 1955 and 1957 from Mr. Clifford Sifton (vols. 273-294) and in 1977 and 1978 from Mr. Michael Sifton (vols. 295-312) and in 1984 from Mr. Michael Sifton (vol. 313).
- Availability of other formats note:
- Volumes 1 to 312 are also available on microfilm, reels C-401 to C-600, C-1160A to C-1160B, C-2171 to C-2179 and H-995 to H-1014.
- Subject heading:
- Frontier and pioneer life - Canada, Western, 1896-1929 Canada. Parliament. House of Commons, 1896-1911
- Canada, Western - Settlement, 1896-1929 Winfield Sifton, 1921-1925
- Canada - Emigration and immigration, 1889-1929 Sir Robert Perks, 1921-1925
- World War, 1914-1918 - Reconstruction, 1914-1921 Georgian Bay Canal, 1900-1932
- Education - Manitoba, 1891-1896 Canada. Dept. of the Interior, [189-], [19-]
- Justices of the Peace - Manitoba, 1891-1896 Manitoba, [189-], [19-]
- Indians of North America - Canada - Land tenure, 1897-1898, 1900-1901 Commission of Conservation, 1880-1929
- Indians of North America - Canada - Government relations, 1897-1898, 1900-1901 Great Britain. Treaties, etc. United States, 1783 Sept 3
- Indians of North America - Canada - Reservations, 1897-1898, 1900-1901 United States. Treaties, etc. Great Britain, 1783 Sept 3
- Indians of North America - Canada - Treaties, 1897-1898, 1900-1901 William McCreary, 1903-1904
- Indians of North America - Canada - Grants, 1897-1898, 1900-1901 Alaska Boundary Tribunal, 1897-1904
- Indians of North America - Canada - Education, 1897-1898, 1900-1901 Joseph Pope, 1903
- Indian land, Disposal of, 1897-1898, 1900-1901 F.C. Wade, 1903
- Indian commissioners, 1897-1898, 1900-1901 Edward Blake, 1903
- Yukon Territory - Officials and employees, 1897-1900 Canadian Western Natural Gas, Light, Heat and Power Company, 1900-1929
- Mining claims - Yukon Territory, 1897-1900 Montreal, Ottawa and Georgian Bay Canal Company, 1900-1929
- Mining regulations - Yukon Territory, 1897-1900 William Ogilvie, 1897-1900
- Yukon Territory - Description and travel, 1897-1900 Major J.M. Walsh, 1897-1900
- Public health - Yukon Territory, 1897-1900 Canada. Superintendant of Indian Affairs, 1897-1898, 1900-1901
- Liquor laws - Yukon Territory, 1897-1900 Liberal Party of Canada, 1889-1929
- Ethics - Yukon Territory, 1897-1898 Brandon (Man.), 1896-1913
- Canada - Boundaries - Alaska, 1903 Manitoba. Dept. of Education, 1891-1896
- Alaska - Boundaries - Canada, 1903 Manitoba. Provincial Auditor, 1891-1896
- Business enterprises - Canada, 1900-1929 Manitoba. Land Titles, 1891-1896
- Canals - Canada, 1900-1929 Manitoba. Public School Act, 1891-1896
- Inland navigation - Canada, 1900-1932 Manitoba. Liquor Control Commission, 1891-1896
- Imperial relations, [192-]
- British Guiana - Boundaries - Venezuela, [between 1880 and 1929]
- British Guiana-Venezuela Boundary Dispute, [between 1880 and 1929]
- Venezuela British Guiana
- United States - History - Revolution, 1775-1783 - Treaties, 1783
- Manitoba - Officials and employees, [188-]
- Saint Lawrence River
- Parlementaires Canada
- Legislators Canada
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Date modified: