Walter Gilbert Dinsdale fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Walter Gilbert Dinsdale fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R3611-0-0-E, MG32-B35
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Sound recordings, Moving images, Photographs, Art
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=104441&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
20 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
46.5 m of textual records.
1632 photographs chiefly b&w.
87 audio reels (50 h).
4 drawings pen and ink.
2 film reels (ca. 35 min).
2 aluminium discs.
4 prints 2 postcards, 2 posters.
12 architectural drawings
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of personal series; ministerial series concerning the Department of Northern Affairs and National Resources; subject series; Salvation Army series; rehabilitation movement series; Progressive Conservative Party series; election series; constituency series; speech series; scrapbooks.
Sound recordings consist of speeches, interviews, talks, musical recordings and other personal and family recordings pertaining to Walter Dinsdale, 1955-1980.
The fonds contains photographs which depict the activities of Walter Dinsdale and family; four cartoons concerning Dinsdale, drawn by Peter Kuch ; and two World War II postcards which belonged to Mr. Dinsdale.
The fonds also consists of a film depicting the opening of Parliament; a trip to Newfoundland; PC Leadership Convention; and a film of Walter Dinsdale and friends during his Air Force days in England, 1942-1956.
- Additional name(s):
- Biography/Administrative history:
Dinsdale, Walter, 1916-1982 : Walter Gilbert Dinsdale, politician, was born in 1916 at Brandon, Manitoba. After completing a B.A. at Brandon College, he attended the Salvation Army Training College, 1939-1940, and was commissioned as a captain, 1940. He worked in Montreal and Toronto prior to his enlistment in the Royal Canadian Air Force, 1941. He served with the 410 Squadron in England and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his part in Allied operations in Northwestern Europe. Following his return from overseas, Dinsdale attended the University of Toronto, completing an M.A. in sociology. He taught at Brandon College, Brandon, Man., 1946-1951. He was a member of Parliament representing Brandon-Souris, Man., 1951-1982. He served as a parliamentary assistant, 1957-1958, parliamentary secretary, 1959-1960, to the Minister of Veteran Affairs; and was a member of the Privy Council and appointed Minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources, 1960-1963. Dinsdale's range of interests extended far beyond his political duties. He maintained a close relationship with the Salvation Army and other spiritual organizations, such as the Canadian Council of Christians and Jews; he was a strong supporter of the Prayer Breakfast, both in Canada and the United States; he had a lengthy affiliation with Brandon College/University and Richmond College; and he was a strong activist in the national and international rehabilitation movements for the handicapped. As well, he had a lifelong interest in music and played in family circles and in various Salvation Army bands.
- Finding aid:
Textual records (Electronic) The finding aid is a descriptive file list for vols. 1-154. MSS1465 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000234.pdfDrawings, prints and 1 photograph: (Electronic) Descriptions available on-line.Drawings, prints and 1 photograph: (Paper) Item level descriptions in accession binder no. 53.Moving images: (Electronic) See MISACS for item level descriptions.Sound recordings: (Paper) See AV Collection files for item level descriptions.
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Received in 1984 and 1985 from Lenore Dinsdale.
- Subject heading:
- Canada, Northern
- Walter Gilbert Dinsdale - Authorship, [194?] Canada. Royal Canadian Air Force. 410, [194-]
- Pilots - Log-books, [194?] Canada. Treaties, etc. United States, 1964 Jan. 22, 1964
- Canada. Canadian Armed forces - History, [194?] United States. Treaties, etc. Canada, 1964 Jan. 22, 1964
- Canada. Canadian Armed forces - History - World War II, [194?]
- Canada. Canadian Armed forces - Foreign countries, [194?] Manly Miner, [After 1950]
- World War II - Canada, [194?] Jack Gallagher, 1949-1983
- Dinsdale family, 1919-1982 Duff Robin, 1949-1983
- Trans-Canada Pipeline - Speeches in Canadian Parliament, 1956 Alvin Hamiltion, 1949-1983
- Emblems, National - Canada, 1964 Salvation Army, 1936-1982
- Flag Debate, 1964 Holdfast Movement, 1936-1982
- Water resources development - Law and legislation - Canada, 1964 Advisory Council of Salvation Army Laymen, 1936-1982
- Water resources development - Law and legislation - United States, 1964 Canadian Rehabilitation Council for the Disabled, 1963-1982
- Water resources development - Canada, [196-] International Commission on Technical Aids, Housing, Buildings and Transportation, 1963-1982
- Gas - Law and legislation, [196-]
- Petroleum law and legislation, [196-]
- Roads - Canada, [196-]
- National parks and reserves - Canada, [196-]
- Wildlife refuges - Canada, [196-]
- Biculturalism - Canada, 1949-1983
- Capital punishment - Canada, 1949-1983
- Pension`s, Military, 1949-1983
- Salvation Army - Songs and music, 1936-1982
- Progressive Conservative Party of Canada - Leadership, 1932-1982
- Progressive Conservative Party of Canada - Platforms, 1932-1982
- Political parties - Canada - Platforms, 1932-1982
- Elections - Canada, 1951-1980
- Political oratory - Canada, 1951-1980
- Campaign literature, Canadian, 1951-1980
- Election districts - Canada, 1951-1982
- Redistribution (Election law) - Canada, 1951-1982
- Election districts - Manitoba - Brandon, 1951-1982
- Rehabilitation - Canada, 1963-1982
- Handicapped - Canada, 1963-1982
- Spiritualism, 1930-1982
- Abortion - Canada
- Hommes politiques Canada
- Politicians Canada
- Railroads Canada
- Political parties Canada
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Sound recordings: Reproduction and use in any form requires the written permission of copyright owner; no donor restrictions.
Moving images: Reproduction and use in any form requires the written permission of copyright owner; and the written permission of the donor.
Photographs, drawings, prints: No restrictions on use or reproduction. Various copyrights on items less than 50 years old; copyright expired on items greater than 50 years old. Copyright on drawings belongs to the Estate of Peter Kuch. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
- Date modified: