LePan, Arthur D'Orr, 1885-1976 : Lieutenant-Colonel A.D. LePan was born in Owen Sound, Ontario in 1885 and educated at the University of Toronto (engineering). He served in the Canadian army from 1915 to 1919. He was appointed Camp Commandant upon the formation of the Polish Army Camp at Niagara-on-the-Lake in September 1917, and served in this capacity until the closing of the Camp in March 1919. From 1920 to 1956, he was employed with the University of Toronto. He died circa 1976.
The Camp was established as a basic training depot for Poles or Canadians and Americans of Polish extraction recruited in North America and en route to service overseas with Polish units of the French army. The training was undertaken by Canadian and Polish officers. The first training of Polish officers was begun in Toronto and continued at Camp Borden early in 1917. The officers thus trained served in the Niagara-on-the-Lake Camp. Two overflow depots, one at St. John's, Quebec and the other at Fort Niagara New York were established in November 1917 and February 1918 respectively. Just over 20,700 recruits passed through the Camp at Niagara-on-the-Lake or one of the depots en route to France.
See: Canadian Who's Who, 1967-1969.