Margot Thompson fonds [textual record]
Record Information – Brief
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
4 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
- 8.5 cm of textual records.
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of equal pay dispute between Thompson and the United Steelworkers of America, 1950-1968; Eileen Tallman Sufrin, letters and articles, 1957-1959; C.H. Millard correspondence, 1951-1961, 1964, 1965; miscellaneous, ca. 1952, 1957.
- Additional name(s):
- Biography/Administrative history:
Thompson, Margot, 1910- : Margot Thompson began her long career in the labour movement in 1943 with the United Packinghouse Workers of America. A year later she joined the staff of the United Steelworkers of America and in 1947 she became editor of the Canadian edition of Steel Labour, the position she held until her retirement in 1968. At the time she and her co-worker Eileen Tallman Sufrin were among the few women to hold non-secretarial positions in the labour movement. Thompson was active in the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation and was a candidate in the 1957 federal election in the Toronto constituency of St. Paul's. Thompson was also involved in the Canadian Association for Adult Education, the Ontario Woodsworth Foundation, the Young Women's Christian Association, and the United Nations Association.
- Finding aid:
(No finding aid)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Received in 1979 from Miss Thompson.
- Subject heading:
- Labour leaders - Canada, 1950, [ca.1952], 1956-1968 United Steelworkers of America, 1950-1968
- Labour leaders - United States, 1950, [ca.1952], 1956-1968 Eileen Tallman Sufrin, 1957-1968
- Trade-unions - Salaries, etc., 1950-1968 Co-operative Press Associates, 1975-1968
- Trade-unions - Italy, 1957-1959 Steel Labour, 1957-1968
- International Organization of the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions, 1951-1961, 1964, 1965
- Maritime Transporation Unions, 1951-1961, 1964, 1965
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Date modified: