Andrew Audubon Merrilees fonds [multiple media (some microfilm)]
Record Information – Brief
Andrew Audubon Merrilees fonds [multiple media (some microfilm)]
- Hierarchical level:
- R5500-0-6-E, MG31-A10
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Photographs, Art, Architectural and technical drawings, Maps and cartographic material, Moving images
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=102280&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
1585 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
- Various places
11.67 m of textual records.
ca. 356,088 photographs includes at least 50 albums : b&w and col., multiple processes ; various dimensions.
2,180 prints : mostly lithographs, posters.
223 reproductions (art).
15,703 technical drawings : mostly mechanical reproductions with blueprints and whiteprints.
1 film reel.
32 reproductions : postcards
4 philatelic records
11 profiles : mechanical reproductions.
83 architectural drawings : mostly mechanical reproductions.
1 object : canvas and leather.
53 diagrams : b&w.
9 collages : col., pasted on paper.
42 microfilm reels of technical drawings.
- Language of material:
- Added language of material:
- English, French, Spanish
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of the following series of textual records: Railways in Canada, 1852-1979; Railways in the United States, 1835-1980, microfilm, 1877-1963; Railways in other countries, 1851, 1904-1970; Railway passes, 1857-1960; Water transport, 1780, 1808-1979; Mossom Boyd Company, 1881-1914; General, 1755-1941, 1965; Personal papers including notebooks, unpublished papers, talks, manuscripts, notes, financial reports, correspondence and personal items, n.d., 1946-1979. Material related to Andrew Merrilees Ltd. Microfilmed material (44 microfilm reels) consists of production drawings of locomotive works of the H.K. Porter Company (relating to volumes 8 to 27 of the Merrilees fonds.) This material is available on microfilm reels M-7503 to M-7546. The fonds contains six series of ca. 344,051photographs related to engines, rolling stock, buildings, and operations of railroads, electrical railways, and streetcar lines throughout Canada and the United States; commercial and private horse-drawn vehicles and sleighs, automobiles, buses, trucks, and firefighting equipment in Canada; shipbuilding, ship launchings, ship repairs and drydock activity at various ports in Ontario and Quebec; various types of ships and other vessels, primarily in eastern Canada, and various types of commercial aircraft, particularly those which undertook trans-Atlantic flights from Newfoundland; exterior and interior views of buildings, street scenes, parades, fires, funerals, visits of dignitaries, in and around various cities, towns, and villages in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Quebec, and Ontario; panoramic group photographs of units of the Canadian Expeditionary Force and the Royal Air Force in training at various camps in Ontario; views of hydro dams and power plants; various views, typically involving railways, of South America, Central America, Russia, Europe, and Australia; members of the Bruce family and Merrilees family, and members of the Ontario Legislature and the York Pioneer and Historical Society, n.d., [ca. 1865]-1940. There are photographs by Blackmore Studio, the Panoramic Camera Company, Notman Studio, Andrew E.Young, Alexander Henderson, Jules-Ernst Livernois, and Frank E. Micklethwaite. Additionally, there are photographic albums in the fonds including; "Victoria Jubilee Bridge 1897-98"; "Canadian Scraps. No. 1", 1858-1895; "Canadian Views and Studies", 1860-1870; "William Notmans Viewbook", [ca. 1870-1890], and "Standard Locomotives and Cars of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company 1876", 1870-1875. The fonds contains artistic material collected by Merrilees, including greeting cards, trade cards, posters, etc., which document North American social history, [ca. 1800-1970]; an auction sales poster; watercolours; circus posters, posters depicting Trent Valley Navigation Co. Ltd., tours of the Thousand Islands, music hall attractions, and Russian views, 1861-1945; drawings, prints, and reproductions relating to transportation history in North America, as well as landscapes, historical events, and architectural interiors, [ca. 1760-1960], predominant [ca. 1880-1930]; and an incomplete (pp. 80-110) section of vol. 3 of a publication entitled "The Ceremonies and Religious Customs of Various Nations of the Known World", [ca. 1734-1807]. The fonds also includes four paintings, one by an unknown artist, one by Albert Sheldon Pennoyer (1888-1957) artist and author of a book about the railroad, and two by Eward Melbourne Brindle (1904-after 1948) of the Pennsylvania Railroad yards. The fonds also comprises additional prints and reproductions including a group of large colour lithographs of the Famous Canadian Jubilee Singers, [ca. 1901-1902], produced by the Duncan Litho. Co. Hamilton, a group of miniature vignettes for steel engraving produced by Rawdon, Wright, Hatch & Edson [ca. 1830-1900], a large lithograph by Seth Arca Whipple (1855-1901), of a a fleet of schooners on Lake Huron, an exhibition poster for the 34th Annual Exhibition Western Fair in London , and various additional postcards, calendars, travel and event advertisements, some after original artworks by American artists Walter L. Greene (1870-1956), Howard Fogg (1917-1996), and E. Teller (?). The fonds also contains technical data, maps, plans, and technical drawings related to railroads and trains, [ca. 1900-1950]; blueprints and reproductions of engineering drawings, primarily of locomotives and rolling stock, [ca. 1867-1969]; and 19 miscellaneous maps and plans pertaining primarily to Ontario and Quebec, [ca. 1884-1902]. Thirty-two postcards relating primarily to shipping and train travel in Canada were selected for retention. Of the thirty-two, five are photogravure postcards from the "Daily Mirror Canadian Official Series" with imagery from the Second World War which were printed in Great Britain.
- Additional name(s):
- Biography/Administrative history:
Merrilees, Andrew, 1919-1979 : Andrew Merrilees was born in 1919 at Hamilton Ont., and moved in 1941 to Montreal, where he worked for the Department of Research and Development of the Canadian National Railways. In 1945 he moved to Toronto where he became founder, owner and president of three firms involved in buying, selling and rebuilding locomotives, freight cars and other railway equipment. Merrilees began his career as a collector in 1932 when he began acquiring photographs of railway equipment in Hamilton. During his employment with the CNR, he began to acquire manuscript material relating to railways, and he subsequently included production drawings, books, memorabilia, artefacts and other material in his collection. At the same time his area of interest expanded to include marine transportation and, eventually, many other aspects of Canadian history. Among his major aquisitions were several large American collections of railway photographs and other materials, purchased because they included Canadian material; in consequence the collection came to have a substantial American component. During his years as a collector Merrilees also compiled personal notebooks on Canadian railway and marine history, detailing the results of his extensive research in these fields.
- Finding aid:
Textual records (Electronic) The Microfilm Shelf lists provide a detailed description of the material on microfilm. MSS2001 (90: Open)Textual records (Electronic) Finding aid 1325, part 1, provides a description of the files in volumes 1 to 59. It also describes H.K. Porter Company microfilmed production drawings. MSS1325 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000001892.pdfTextual records (Electronic) Finding aid 1325, part 2, describes the contents of volumes 60 to 73. MSS1325 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000001893.pdfPhotographs (Paper) Indexes located in 326: 98 page Inventory, catalogue of Great Lakes Vessels negatives, partial list of Marine photos in series B and C, sub-series BII & BIII by locations, ship, and locomotive names, shelf lists for series B to F, box content list with collection description and research tips. FA-053 (Restrictions not set)Photographs (Electronic) Box contents list by barcode listed as amerilee.wpd and collection description and research tips listed as amerintr.wpd. Both in s:/vsa/photo.a&r/findaid FA-053 (Restrictions not set)Photographs (Paper) Original envelopes with captions B-001732 to B-010999 located in 2000814413-16, 18, 20, 22-23, 25-26, 28, 30, 32, 36-38 and C-006506 to C-02105 in 2000814442, 44-51. Original index cards with captions 2883 to 4030 located in 2000792444. FA-053 (Restrictions not set)Art. (2002 donation). (Electronic) On-line on MINISIS at item-level. R5500 - 1 to R5500 - 52 (2002) (90: Open)Art.(2002 donation). (Paper) Description and item-level list on accession file. R5500 - 2002. (90: Open)Photographs (Paper) Guide to Finding Aid FA-053, Accession 1980-149. Paper copy located in 326. Electronic on S:Drive. FA-053 (Restrictions not set)Photographs (Microform) Image indexes by Photographer, Location and Subject, and for Series B and Series C located in 326. FA-053 (Restrictions not set)Photographs: (Electronic) 2 general lists of material from BAN 2007-00446-1, including albums and loose prints. FA-053 (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Received in 1983 from the estate of A.A. Merrilees of Toronto, Ont., and in 1984 and 2002 from Dr. Robert J. Stewart of Toronto, Ont. Additional material received in 2006 from Ingebord Stauder of Frankford ON. Additional material was also received in 2017 from Robert Stewart, president of A.A. Merrilees Ltd., Material largely created in Canada but covers subjects related (but not limited) to the United States, Mexico, Cuba, Trinidad and Tobago, Bermuda, Guyana (formerly British Guiana), Jamaica, Netherlands, Scotland, Isle of Man, Australia, United Kingdom, South Africa, Panama, Guatemala, Belgium, France, Austria, Egypt, Italy, Russia, Argentina, Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon), Spain, Turkey, China, Ireland, Brazil, Chile, Peru, Luxembourg, Spain and Bolivia., For the photographs in the fonds, FA-053 provides extensive information. There is a guide to Finding Aid FA-053. Please see lower level series descriptions for more details.
- Exhibitions note:
- Exhibition Title: Culture and Democracy: Lord and Lady Elgin in Canada, 1847-1854. Curators: National Archives of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario. (MG 24 A10 Vol.22 file 1, page 38) Further Venue: Rideau Hall, Ottawa, Ontario; 2003.04.02-2003.08.18. Further Venue: La Citadelle, Quebec City, Quebec; 2003.09.05-2004.02.16. Further Venue: Château Ramezay Museum, Vieux-Montreal, Quebec; 2004.04.16-2004.05.02.
- Related material:
- In general, related material can be found in MIKAN 95 (or RG30 and R231) which is the Canadian National Railways fonds., Access to additional published material (including Canadian and American timetables) can be found in the Merrilees Transportation Collection in the National Library Aurora catalogue. To get started with your search, see https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/exploration-settlement/merrilees-transportation/Pages/transportation-merrilees-collection.aspx
- Container note(s):
1660 : 578 prints
1661 : 460 prints
1662 : 553 prints
1632 : Empty original envelopes found in processing room GPC 5D01 after nitrate project (move) completed. Notes in containers mentions from original boxes RV6- 075;RV6-076;RV6-077;RV6-080;RV6-091;RV6-095;RV6-096;RV6-106;RV6-117.
1581 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 075 barcode 2000920882
1582 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 077 barcode 2000920884
1583 : Safety Negs - Previously Box RV6 075 barcode 2000920882, Box RV6 077 barcode 2000920884, and Box RV6 117 barcode 2000920925
1584 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 075 barcode 2000920882
1585 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 077 barcode 2000920884
1586 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 075 barcode 2000920882
1587 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 115 barcode 2000920923
1588 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 077 barcode 2000920884
1590 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 115 barcode 2000920923
1591 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 115 barcode 2000920923
1592 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 117 barcode 2000920925
1593 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 115 barcode 2000920923
1589 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 117 barcode 2000920925
1594 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 117 barcode 2000920925
1595 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 115 barcode 2000920923
1596 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 117 barcode 2000920925
1597 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 117 barcode 2000920925
1580 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 076 barcode 2000920883
1608 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 079 barcode 2000920886
1609 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 080 barcode 2000920887
1611 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 080 barcode 2000920887
1613 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 076 barcode 2000920883
1614 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 091 barcode 2000920898
1615 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 099 barcode 2000920907
1617 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 099 barcode 2000920907
1618 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 080 barcode 2000920887
1620 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 099 barcode 2000920907
1622 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 079 barcode 2000920886 (this is an emergency 10lbs pre-move split - no neg rehousing took place. It will be revisited post-move.)
1623 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 079 barcode 2000920886 (this is an emergency 10lbs pre-move split - no neg rehousing took place. It will be revisited post-move.)
1624 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 106 barcode 2000920914
1625 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 106 barcode 2000920914
1626 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 118 barcode 2000920926 (this is an emergency 10lbs pre-move split - no neg rehousing took place. It will be revisited post-move.)
1627 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 118 barcode 2000920926 (this is an emergency 10lbs pre-move split - no neg rehousing took place. It will be revisited post-move.)
1616 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 106 barcode 2000920914
1612 : Safety Negs - Previously Box RV6 076 barcode 2000920883
1610 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 079 barcode 2000920886
1619 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 091 barcode 2000920898
1628 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 091 barcode 2000920898
1629 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 091 barcode 2000920898
1621 : Nitrate - Previously Box RV6 106 barcode 2000920914
- Subject heading:
- Great Western Railway Company (Canada)
- Intercolonial Railway (Canada)
- Trent Valley Navigation Company
- Rideau Canal (Ont.)
- Welland Canal
- Railroads - Canada, 1852-1979
- Railroads - Canada - History, 1852-1979
- Railroads - Canada - Records and correspondence
- Street-railroads - Canada - History, 1852-1979
- Street-railroads - Canada - Records and correspondence, 1852-1979
- Quebec (Quebec) - Railroads, [between 1852 and 1979]
- Montreal (Quebec) - Railroads, [between 1852 and 1979]
- Railroads - United States - History, 1877-1963
- Railroads - United States - Records and correspondence, 1877-1963
- H.K. Porter Company - Records and correspondence, 1877-1963
- Railroads - Argentina, 1851, 1907-1970
- Railroads - Australia, 1851, 1904-1970
- Railroads - Ceylon, 1851, 1904-1970
- Railroads - France, 1851, 1904-1970
- Railroads - Panama, 1851, 1907-1970
- Railroads - Spain, 1851, 1904-1970
- Railroads - Turkey, 1851, 1904-1970
- Railroads - United Kingdom, 1851, 1904-1970
- Railroads - Canada - Passes, 1862-1920
- Railroads - United States - Passes, 1862-1920
- Railroad bridges - Canada - Passes, 1873-1921
- Niagara Falls (Ont.) - Rail bridges - Passes, 1873-1921
- Waterways - Canada - History, 1808-1929, 1961-1979
- Canals - Ontario, [between 1808 and 1979]
- Canals - Canada, [between 1808 and 1979]
- Belfast (Ireland) - Shipping - Records and correspondence, [between 1808 and 1979]
- Andrew Audubon Merrilees - Finance, Personal, n.d., 1946-1979
- Shipping - Canada - Records and correspondence, [between 1808 and 1979]
- Shipping - Canada - History, n.d., 1946-1979
- Belfast (Ireland) - Business enterprises, [between 1808 and 1979]
- Business enterprises Canada 19th century
- Canadian Pacific Railway
- Trent Valley Canal
- H.K. Porter Company Ltd
- Michigan Central Railway
- Canada 19th century
- Canada 19e siècle
- Canal Rideau (Ont.)
- Former archival reference no.:
- Other accession no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Photographs: No restrictions. Various copyrights on items less than 50 years old. Copyright expired on items more than 50 years old. Credit: Name of photographer / Library and Archives Canada / Copy negative no.
Artistic material: Physcial access with the assistance of an art archivist. Various copyrights. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
Maps and technical drawings: No restrictions on access to or reproduction of these items.
- Date modified: