William Lighthall fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
William Lighthall fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- 1763-1764, 1809-1977.
- R7756-0-9-E, MG29-D93
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Photographs, Objects (including medals and pins), Art, Maps and cartographic material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=101695&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
21 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- 1763-1764, 1809-1977.
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
2.68 m of textual records.
141 photographs b&w.
3 printing blocks electroplate.
2 printing plates photogravure.
1 painting oil.
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of the following series of textual records: general correspondence, n.d., 1879-1948; political career files, n.d., 1894-1927; material relating to the activities of the Royal Society, n.d., 1891-1940; manuscripts including handwritten and typed drafts, notes, resource material, galley proofs, and printed copies of Lighthall's various writings, n.d., 1877-1944, 1973-1977; financial papers, n.d., 1933-1942; subject files, n.d., 1892-1938; printed material, n.d., 1809, 1863-1943; memorabilia, n.d., 1879-1938; and clippings, n.d., 1885-1944. Also included are photographs showing homes and portraits of D.W. Lighthall's family; Charlie Caldwell's children; Ile d'Orleans, Quebec, Manitou, Tremblent, Quebec; Fernie, Vancouver, B.C.; Medicine Hat, Calgary, Alta.; Fort William, Sault Ste. Marie, Port Arthur, Ont.; a group of Cree in a Pow-Wow, Medicine Hat, Alta., 1910; photos of works of art by Frederick William Lock and William Busby Lambe, n.d.; and a photograph of a portrait of La Corne (Chevalier de), n.d. Included in the fonds are electroplate printing blocks used in W.D. Lighthall's Royal Society paper entitled "The False Plan of Hochelaga" (Toronto University Press, 1932), and photogravure printing plates of an unknown subject, n.d. Also included is an oil painting of La Corne Saint-Luc, [ca. 1763]. The work is by unknown artist #212. Fonds also consists of a poster, entitled, 'The False Chevalier.' This is an oversize record and is located in horizontal storage (vol. 15). Fonds consists of 24 maps and plans pertaining primarily to Montreal and Hocelaga. There are also maps relating to anthropology in North and South America.
- Biography/Administrative history:
Lighthall, W. D. (William Douw), 1857-1954 : William Douw Lighthall, born in Hamilton, Ontario, was educated at McGill University. He practised law until 1944. Lighthall was mayor of the Town of Westmount from 1900 to 1902, founded the Union of Canadian Municipalities in 1901, served as school commissioner and as a trustee of the Montreal Public Library, and was a commissioner for the Metropolitan Parks Commission of Montreal. Lighthall was also a charter member and president of the Canadian Authors' Association, an originator of the Society of Canadian Literature, and a member of a number of other literary societies. In 1902, he was elected to the Royal Society, and served as its president, 1917-1918. His non-fiction writings include historical sketches such as "Montreal After Two Hundred and Fifty Years" (1892), "An Account of the Battle of Chateauguay" (1889), and "Thomas Pownell - His Part in the Conquest of Canada" (1904), as well as philosophical works such as "Sketch of the New Utilitarianism" (1887), "Canada: A Modern Nation" (1904), and "Superpersonalism: The Outer Consciousness, A Biological Entity" (1926). As well, he also wrote historical romances. In addition to compiling a collection of his own verse "Old Measures", Lighthall contributed poems to several anthologies and edited two volumes of poetry. See: Encyclopedia Canadiana, Vol. 6, p. 140.
- Finding aid:
Textual records: (Paper) The finding aid is a descriptive list. MSS1564Textual records: (Electronic) Finding aid. MSS1564
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000263.pdfPhotographs: (Electronic) Some item level descriptions.Object: (Paper) Binder 49, item level descriptions.Art: (Electronic) Online item level descriptions.Cartographic material (Paper) Please consult lower level descriptions. An itemized listing is available. Lighthall, W.D. 85602/655. (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Received in 1978 from Alice Lighthall of Montreal, Que.
- Subject heading:
- William Douw Lighthall - Manuscripts, [n.d., 1877-1944, 1973-1977] Crown Trust Company, [n.d., 1933-1942]
- William Douw Lighthall - Correspondence, n.d., 1809, 1863-1977 St. Helen's Island Historical Park, [n.d., 1892-1938]
- William Douw Lighthall - Career in politics, n.d., 1894-1927 Canadian National League, [n.d., 1892-1938]
- Authors, Canadian - n.d., 1809 Canadian Bar Association, [n.d., 1892-1938]
- Poetry - Canada, [n.d., 1877-1944, 1973-1977] Imperial Conference, 1907, [n.d., 1885-1944]
- William Douw Lighthall - Finances, Personal, n.d., 1933-1942 The Zynchuck Affair, 1933, [n.d., 1885-1944]
- William Douw Lighthall - Notebooks, [n.d., 1879-1938] Royal Society of Canada, n.d., 1891-1940
- Archaeology, [n.d., 1877-1944, 1973-1977] Union of Canadian Municipalities, n.d., 1894-1927
- Anthropology, [n.d., 1877-1944, 1973-1977] Montreal Metropolitan Parks Commission, 1894-1927
- William Douw Lighthall - Biography, n.d., 1809, 1863-1977]
- Criticism - Canada, [n.d., 1877-1944, 1973-1977]
- Anthologies, [n.d., 1877-1944, 1973-1977]
- Philosophy, [n.d., 1877-1944, 1973-1977]
- Poetry, [n.d., 1877-1944, 1973-1977]
- Westmount (Quebec) - Officials and employees, n.d., 1809, 1863-1977
- Municipal officials and employees - Quebec (Province), n.d., 1809, 1863-1977
- Halifax Explosion, Halifax, N.S., 1917
- Hommes politiques Canada
- Politicians Canada
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Photographs: No restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright is expired. Credit: National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Art: No restrictions. Copyright is expired. Credit: National Archives of Canada: From the family of the late W.D. Lighthall, K.C., L.L.D., F.R.S.L., F.R.S.C., in fulfillment of his intention that this portrait should become part of the Canadian Heritage.
Object: No restrictions. Copyright is unknown. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Cartographic material: No. restrictions. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
- Date modified: