Dominion Glass Company fonds [textual record, graphic material, architectural drawing]
Record Information – Brief1
Dominion Glass Company fonds [textual record, graphic material, architectural drawing]Hierarchical level:FondsDate:1852-1959.Reference:R3435-0-8-E, MG28-III53Type of material:Textual material, Architectural and technical drawings, PhotographsFound in:Archives / Collections and FondsItem ID number:100559Context of this record:
Record Information – DetailsFonds includes:7 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)Date(s):1852-1959.Place of creation:CanadaExtent:4.19 m of textual records.
27 photographs : 25 b&w and 2 col. ; various dimensions.
70 architectural drawings : 31 blueprints.Language of material:EnglishAdded language of material:English, FrenchScope and content:Fonds consists of predecessor firms, 1876-1941, 1.10 m; executive records, 1896-1959, 0.70 m; corporate documents, n.d., 1912-1950, 0.14 m; property records, n.d., 1866-1950, 0.72 m; marketing arrangements, 1911-1947, 0.20 m; trade mark and designs, 1897-1950, 0.13 m; production records, 1910-1944, 1.20 m.Provenance:Additional name(s):Biography/Administrative history:Dominion Glass Company : Although the Dominion Glass Company is a by-product of the business consolidation movement of the early twentieth century, its genesis was in 1890 when a group of Montreal and Quebec City financiers founded the Diamond Glass Company in Toronto. During its first decade of the operation, Diamond Glass acquired six other glass works in Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal and Trenton, Nova Scotia. After 1903, the company was known as The Diamond Flint Glass Company. In 1912, the company expanded with construction of a new plant in Redcliff, Alta. Vigorous competition forced amalgamation with the Sydenham Glass Company of Wallaceburg, Ont., founded in 1895, and the Canadian Glass Company of Montreal, founded in 1910. The resulting business was called "The Dominion Glass Company", and its output accounted for the major share of Canada's glass production. A further take-over came in 1925, when a Toronto firm, Jefferson Glass Company, founded in 1913, was acquired. Now having its head office in Montreal, Dominion Glass Company, has been since 1971 a subsidiary of Consolidated-Bathurst, which is in turn controlled by Power Corporation.Finding aid:Additional information:General Note:Received in 1973 from Dominion Glass Co. Ltd., Montreal, Que.Arrangement note:The majority of files were organized into lettered series (Series A, B, C, etc.) by the corporate secretary. These lettered groupings are identified and maintained within the structure of the fonds via series added entries.Subject heading:Source:Private
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Date modified: