Horace Llewellyn Seymour fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Horace Llewellyn Seymour fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- [ca. 1902-1940].
- R2963-0-3-E, MG30-B93
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Photographs, Architectural and technical drawings, Maps and cartographic material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=98139&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
3 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- [ca. 1902-1940].
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
2.8 m of textual records.
260 photographs : b&w.
45 architectural drawings.
11 technical drawings.
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of textual records, chiefly from the period 1930-1940, with some documents from the 1920's and scattered items dating back as far as 1906. The records fall into several major groups, including project files relating to cities and areas where Seymour served as a planning consultant, largely Ontario cities such as Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, and Fort William, but also including St.John, N.B. and areas in Alberta. These files include correspondence, reports, proposals, clippings, and smaller maps and plans; files consisting largely of correspondence and clippings relating to planning and housing in cities where Seymour was not employed, notably Ottawa, his home in the later 1930's; articles and broadcast texts by Seymour, plus correspondence and informational material dealing with his university lectures; articles by others on housing and town planning, and copies of planning and housing laws, with copies of related reports and clippings. The fonds contains photographs of urban landscapes, streetscapes and houses, many which were used by Seymour for his lectures. Slides depict maps, plans and architectural drawings. Fonds consists of maps, plans and drawings showing traffic patterns, utilities, recreation areas, farmstead plans, school grounds and residential developments, predominantly in 1930-1940, pertaining to planning and development in various towns and cities in New Brunswick, principally St. John; Ontario, principally Fort William and Ottawa; Alberta; and to Little Rock, Arkansas. Fonds also contain maps, plans and achitectural drawings and diagrams reflecting studies into sunlight at different latitudes and corner cutting (street), and relate to planning and development in various Canadian cities, principally Ottawa, although there are examples for Saint John, New Brunswick; Edmonton, Beverly, and Camrose, Alberta; and Larder Lake, Ontario.
- Biography/Administrative history:
Seymour, Horace L., 1882-1940 : Horace Llewellyn Seymour (1882-1940), town planner, was born in Bereford, Ont. and graduated in engineering from the University of Toronto. After working as a surveyor for the federal government, he joined the Town Planning Branch of the Commission of Conservation in 1914. In 1922, he produced the plan for the city of Waterloo and assisted Thomas Adams with one for Kitchener, the first comprehensive city plan in Canada. From 1926 to 1929, Seymour worked for the U.S. firm of Harland Bartholomew, supervising the plan for Vancouver. From 1929 to 1932, he worked as Director of Planning for Alberta, offering advice on the subject to all municipalities. He spent the rest of his life as planning consultant to such cities as Sault Ste. Marie, Cornwall, and Fort William, Ont., and St. John, N.B. Seymour lectured in planning at the University of Toronto in 1921-23, at the University of Alberta in the early 1930's, and in Ottawa through the University of Toronto Extension Department in the later 1930's. He also gave many radio talks on city planning and was a frequent contributor to periodicals. See also: The Canadian Encyclopedia, 1985.
- Finding aid:
Textual records (Paper) The finding aid is a file list. Seymour's original filing arrangement has been preserved with minor corrections. There is also an alphabetical list of chief topics, cities, and correspondence, adapted from a card file kept by Seymour. MSS1429 (90: Open)Cartographic material, architectural, technical drawings, 122 glass slides (Paper) Itemized listing are available in the main reference room, indexed by building type and architect. 83403/37; 85603/58. (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- The 122 lantern slides which depict maps, plans and architectural drawings, pertaining to planning and development in Alberta, Ontario and British Columbia were accessioned by the Cartographic and Architectural section and form part of accession 83403/37., Textual records were acquired in 1975 from Miss Marion Seymour of Ottawa, Ont., Original photographs were acquired from Marion Seymour with textual records, from Horace L. Seymour of Ottawa, Ont. in ca. 1982-1983., Copies of 25 photographs, 1920-1940, that are views of Ottawa, Ont., and Montreal, Que. (accession 1975-196 NPC) were loaned to the Library and Archives Canada and copied. The originals were returned to lender Marion Seymour, Ottawa, Ont.
- Location of originals note:
- Copies of 25 photographs, 1920-1940, which are views of Ottawa, Ont., and Montreal, Que. (accession 1975-196 NPC): Originals loaned by Marion Seymour, Ottawa, Ontario, ca. 1975.
- Availability of other formats note:
- A map of the City of Kitchener, 1923, found in vol. 7, has been digitized., Several items in accession 83403/37 have been microfilmed: NMC49142 -- NMC49152; NMC49154 -- NMC49155. Please consult lower level descriptions.
- Subject heading:
- Ottawa (Ont.) - City planning
- Housing - Canada, 1906-1940
- City planning - Canada, 1906-1940
- City planning - Ontario, 1906-1940
- City planning - Alberta, 1906-1940
- Sault Ste. Marie (Ont.) - City planning, 1906-1940
- Sudbury (Ont.) - City planning, 1906-1940
- Fort William (Ont.) - City planning, 1906-1940
- Saint John (N.B.) - City planning, 1906-1940
- Former archival reference no.:
- Other accession no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Original photographs: No donor restrictions. Copyright: Expired. Credit: Name of photographer / Library and Archives Canada / Copy negative no.
Copies of 25 photographs, 1920-1940, that are views of Ottawa, Ont., and Montreal, Que. (accession 1975-196 NPC): National Archives of Canada does not provide copies; they must be obtained from the lender. Copyright: expired.
Cartographic material, architectural, technical drawings: (accessions 83403/37, 85603/58): No restrictions. Credit: Library and Archives Canada.
- Date modified: