Roland Michener fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Roland Michener fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R3331-0-X-E, MG32-A4
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Photographs, Stamps and stamp products, Art, Architectural and technical drawings, Maps and cartographic material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=106661&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
19 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
21.52 m of textual records.
278 photographs b&w and col.
2 postal covers first day 10.5 x 24 cm.
1 print photomechanical.
6 architectural drawings
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of material relating to Roland Michener's career as Provincial Secretary of Ontario, Speaker of the House of Commons, High Commissioner to India, Governor General of Canada, as well as to various charities and organizations which Michener continued to support after his retirement as Governor General in January, 1974. This material includes: correspondence, itineraries, timetables, speeches, invitations, and appointment books. Fonds also contains postal material including two House of Commons cachet first day of issue covers commemorating the 1983 Royal Visit to Canada and the opening of the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Ottawa. Both covers are autographed by Queen Elizabeth II. One cover contains an example of the 1973 Royal visit commemorative stamp (see: Scott #620 - issued 12 August 1973), tied to cover with a House of Commons day of issue machine cancellation. The other cover contains an example of the 1973 Royal visit commemorative stamp (see: Scott #621 - issued 2 August 1973) also tied to cover with a House of Commons day of issue cancellation. Fonds also contains photographic material depicting events and individuals associated with the life and career of Roland Michener. Fonds also includes one photomechanical print of the bookplate of Roland Michener, Governor-General of Canada, 1967-1974. Copy of work by Gordon Macpherson. Fonds consists of miscellaneous maps of British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec dating 1896 to 1933. Also federal electoral maps of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland dating 1948-1953. There is an atlas entitled: The Western Front at a Glance. A Large Scale Atlas of the Allies Fighting Line in the West with Index. There are architectural drawings relating to Rideau Hall, dating 1972-1973.
- Additional name(s):
- Finding aid:
Textual records: (Paper) Finding aid 1913 is a file list. MSS1913Textual records: (Electronic) Finding aid. MSS1913
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000477.pdfPhotographic: (Paper) See "Photographic inventories, indexes, and caption lists arranged by accession number." FA-500Cartographic material; architectural, technical drawing (Paper) Please consult lower level descriptions. Finding aid is available for consultation. Michener, Roland 923025. (90: Open)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Textual material received in 1991 as a gift from the executors of the estate of Roland Michener. Photographic material was received in 1992 from the estate of Diana Michener Schatz and in 1974 from Roland Michener. Postal covers were received in 1973 from Roland Michener. Photomechanical print was received in 1976 from Roland Michener.
- Subject heading:
- Prospecting, [1922-1941]
- Mines and mineral resources, [1922-1941] Commonwealth Petroleum, [1922-1941]
- Petroleum - Prospecting, [1922-1941] Canadian Institute of International Affairs, n.d., 1944-1988]
- Religion, [1870-1947] Katimavik, [1921-1984]
- Election districts - Ontario - Toronto, [1921-1985] Pamour Porcupine Mines, [1921-1984]
- Toronto (Ont.) - Constituents (Political), [1921-1985] Canadian University Services Overseas, [1921-1984]
- Constituents (Political) - Ontario, [1921-1985] Royal Canadian Legion, [1921-1984]
- Pierre Trudeau - Oratory, [1944-1988] Board of Trade Club, [1921-1984]
- Escott Reid - Oratory, [1944-1988] European Economic Community, [1900, 1943-1964]
- Employment, [1945-1970] Queen's University (Kingston, Ont.), [1974-1983]
- Canada - Emigration and immigration, [1945-1970] Queen's University (Kingston, Ont.). Centre for International Relations, [1974-1983]
- Diplomatic and consular service, Canadian - India, [1945-1970] Progressive Conservative Party of Canada, [1939-1964]
- High Commissioner to India, [1945-1970]
- Governors general - Canada - Correspondence, [1967-1973]
- Lieutenant governors - Canada, [1956-1983]
- Youth - Societies and clubs, [1967-1985]
- Heads of state, [1967-1985]
- Degrees, Academic, [1967-1985]
- Monarchy, [1967-1985]
- Diplomacy - India, [1962-1981]
- India - Politics and government, [1962-1981]
- Politicians - Ontario, 1946-1948
- Election campaigns - Canada, [1939-1964]
- Elections - Ontario - Toronto, [1939-1964]
- Universities and colleges - Ontario - Faculty, [1974-1983]
- Queen's University (Kingston, Ont.) - Faculty, [1974-1983]
- Canada. Parliament - Speaker, [1943-1964]
- Legislative bodies - Canada - Presiding officer, [1900, 1943-1964]
- Legislative bodies - Canada, [1900, 1943-1964]
- Opera - Canada, [1921-1984]
- Fishing, [1921-1984]
- Parlementaires Canada
- Legislators Canada
- Hommes politiques Canada
- Politicians Canada
- Governors general Canada
- Great Britain - Foreign relations - Canada
- Canada Great Britain
- Canada Grande-Bretagne
- Political parties Canada
- Federal-provincial relations
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Four photographs of Ambassadors and Heads of State meeting the Micheners: Closed. Written permission is required from the donor for use or reproduction. Various copyrights. Credit: name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / copy negative number.
All other photographs: no restrictions on use or reproduction. Various copyrights on items less than 50 years old; copyright expired on items greater than 50 years old. Copyright is unknown on undated material. Credit: name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / copy negative number.
Philatelic material: no restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright: Canada Post Corporation. Credit: Canadian Postal Archives.
Photomechanical print: no restrictions on use for reproduction or diffusion. Copyright: unknown. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Cartographic material; architectural, technical drawings: No restrictions. Reproduction subject to Copyright Act regulations. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
- Date modified: