David Arnold Croll fonds [textual record, graphic material, cartographic material]
Record Information – Brief
David Arnold Croll fonds [textual record, graphic material, cartographic material]
- Hierarchical level:
- R6740-0-7-E, MG32-C49
- Type of material:
- Art, Photographs, Maps and cartographic material, Textual material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=106631&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
12 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
18.693 m of textual records some photocopies.
276 photographs b&w and col. negatives and positives.
1 painting oil on board.
- Language of material:
- Added language of material:
- English, Russian
- Scope and content:
Fonds consists of textual material including correspondence, briefs, drafts, and reference material dealing with Croll's work as Co-Chairman of the Special Joint Committee on Consumer Credit and Chairman of Special Senate Committees on Aging, on Poverty and on Retirement Age Policies. Textual records have been divided into nine series as follows: Biographical and Personal; Military Career; Subject Files; Clippings (most pre-1965); Speeches; Parliamentary Committees; Subject Files Relating to Senate Committee Work; Library of Parliament Research Branch Reports; and Arthur W. Roebuck, unpublished memoirs given to Cross for his opinion, 1960. This material includes personal, military, medical and dental records, newspaper clippings and magazine articles regarding Senator Croll; and Senator Croll's military file, 1939-1945. These records were created in Toronto, Ontario.
Fonds also consists of photographic material documenting aspects of Senator Croll's political career, his relationship to the Jewish community and his participation in the Canadian Army.
Also included in the fonds is a portrait of Senator David Cross by Senator Arthur W. Roebuck.
Fonds also includes a map detailing political and administrative divisions in the U.S.S.R. using Russian cyrillic script.
- Additional name(s):
- Biography/Administrative history:
Croll, David Arnold, 1900-1991 : David Croll was born at Moscow, Russia, and came to Canada in 1901. He was educated at the University of Toronto and at Osgoode Hall Law School, and was called to the bar in 1925. He practised law at Windsor and Toronto. He was Mayor of Windsor, Ontario, 1930-1934 and 1938-1941. While Liberal Member of the Ontario Legislature for Windsor-Walkerville, 1934-1943, Croll was Minister of Public Welfare and Municipal Affairs, 1934-1937, and Minister of Labour, 1935-1937. He resigned in 1937 over Premier Hepburn's handling of the General Motors strike in Oshawa. During the Second World War he was on active service with the army, enlisting in 1940 as a private and leaving in 1945 with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. Croll was Liberal Member of Parliament for Toronto-Spadina, 1945-1955, during which time he was active on many committees and was Chairman of the committee that reviewed the Bank Act. In 1955 he became the first person of Jewish descent to be appointed to the Canadian Senate. As a Senator, he initiated a number of inquiries that subsequently led to Government legislation. From 1960-1964 he presented bills that sought to compel those selling goods on credit to disclose the interest rate clearly and understandably, and he consequently became Co-Chairman of the Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons on Consumer Credit, 1964-1967, a Committee that was subsequently re-constituted to inquire into prices. He was Chairman of the Special Senate Committee on Aging, 1963-1966, Chairman of the Special Senate Committee on Poverty, 1968-1971, and Chairman of the Special Senate Committee on Retirement Age Policies, 1978-1980. He was also a member of many other Senate committees. He continued to play an active role in the work of the Senate until his death.
- Finding aid:
Textual records: (Paper) Finding Aid no. 1698 is a file list. MSS1698Textual records: (Electronic) Finding aid:MSS1698 starts at volume 27 to volume 47. MSS1698 (Restrictions not set)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000318.pdfGraphic material (photographs and painting): (Paper) Finding aid is a subject file list located in accession file.Cartographic material (No finding aid) 923011. (99: Closed pending processing)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Received from Senator David A. Croll in 1988 (volumes 1-27); from the Parliamentary office of the late Senator Croll in 1991; from R. Warren James in 1991 (volumes 28,29), and from the Estate of Senator David Arnold Croll in 1992 (volumes 30-95). Cartographic material was transferred from the Manuscript Division in June, 1992.
- Arrangement note:
- Graphic material (photographs and painting): Most graphic material in accession 1992-529 (DAP) is arranged in subject files derived from corresponding textual records.
- Location of originals note:
- Textual records: Originals located at the Federal Personnel Records Centre, Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa.
- Cartographic math data:
- Scale: 1:15 000 000
- Subject heading:
- Jews - History, [1935-1991] Canada. Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons on Consumer Credit, [1959-1985]
- Canada. Canadian Armed forces - Foreign countries, 1944 Canada. Special Senate Committee on Retirement Age Policies, , [1959-1985]
- Canada. Canadian Armed Forces - Officers, 1939-1945 Canada. Special Senate Committee on the Criminal Code (Hate Propaganda), [1959-1985]
- Canada - Canadian Armed Forces - Belgium, 1944 Canada. Ombudsman Committee, [1959-1985]
- Election districts - Ontario - Spadina, 1945 Canada. Special Senate Committee on Poverty, [1959-1985]
- Abortion, [1947-1991] Canada. Special Senate Committee on Aging, [1959-1985]
- Canada - Constitution, [1947-1991] Unesco, [1930-1991]
- Canada. Parliament - Elections, 1949 United Nations, [1947-1991]
- Canada. Parliament - Elections, 1953 Liberal Party of Canada, [1947-1991]
- Insurance, Health - Canada, [1947-1991] Palestine, [1947-1991]
- Jewish organizations, [1947-1991] Seventh Day Adventist Church, [1947-1991]
- Literature, [1947-1991] Jewish War Veterans of Canada, [1947-1991]
- Judges, [1947-1991] Isreal, [1947-1991]
- Political parties - Canada, [1947-1991] Cuba, [1947-1991]
- Canada. Parliament - Salaries, etc., [1947-1991] Canadian Human Rights Foundation, [1947-1991]
- Penitentiaries, [1947-1991] Canadian Council of Christians and Jews, [1947-1991]
- Canada. Parliament. Senate - Reform, [1947-1991] Canada. Charter of Rights and Freedoms, [1947-1991]
- Soviet Union - Foreign relations - Canada, [1947-1991] Canada. Canadian Bill of Rights, [1947-1991]
- Czech Republic - Description and travel, 1965 Arthur Roebuck, [1935-1991]
- Russia - Description and travel, 1965 R. Warren James, [1935-1991]
- Insurance, Unemployment - Canada, [1947-1991] Canada. Parliament. Senate, [1947-1991]
- Aging - Canada, [1947-1991]
- Election campaigns - Canada, [1930-1991]
- Housing - Canada, [1930-1991
- Canada - Emigration and immigration, [1930-1991]
- Labour - Canada, [1930-1991]
- Loans - Canada, [1930-1991]
- Legislative bodies - Canada - Committees, 1959-1985
- Canada. Parliament. Senate - Committees, 1959-1985
- Poverty - Canada, [1966-1991]
- Retirement - Canada, [1966-1991]
- World War, 1939-1945
- Pensions - Canada
- Guerre mondiale, 1939-1945
- Parlementaires Canada
- Legislators Canada
- Hommes politiques Canada
- Politicians Canada
- Veterans Canada
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Graphic material (photographs and painting): No restrictions on use. Various and/or unknown copyright on items less than 50 years old. Copyright expired on items more than 50 years old. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Cartographic material: No restrictions concerning access. Reproductions are available according to the Copyright Act.
- Date modified: