Canadian Museums Association fonds [multiple media]
Record Information – Brief
Canadian Museums Association fonds [multiple media]
- Hierarchical level:
- R3287-0-5-E, MG28-I344
- Type of material:
- Textual material, Photographs, Art, Sound recordings
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future. To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.redirect?app=fonandcol&id=105314&lang=eng
- Context of this record:
Record Information – Details
- Fonds includes:
49 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
25.60 m of textual records.
9 audio reels (ca. 43 h, 50 min).
182 photographs 174 b&w.
1 print etching.
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Fond consists of the following series of textual records: Constitution and bylaws, 1939, 1946-1982; Executive, 1947-1982; Annual conferences, 1947-1982; Committees, 1941-1948, and 1967-1983; Finances, 1948-1981; Membership, 1947-1982; General correspondence and memoranda, 1947-1982; Training program, 1934, 1947-1982; Surveys, 1908, 1925, 1949-1978; Other projects, 1948-1982; publications, 1931, 1948-1980; Other associations, 1923-1980; and Subject files, 1929-1982. Fonds contains photographs depicting activities of the Canadian Museums Association, annual conferences, museum personnel, exhibitions, installations, buildings, history sites across Canada, photos from museum surveys by Carl Guthe, 1957 and Archie Key, 1964-1967; Confederation Train; museums in various provinces, 1951-1972; photoreproduction of a work entitled, "Old Quebec, Montreal", by Roland J.A. Chalmers, and a print entitled, "Red River Cart", by L.S. Russell, [ca. 1920-1936]. Fonds also contains sound recordings of a CMA conference, 2001 The Museum and the Canadian Public, held at Geneva Park, Lake Couchiching, Ontario, 1976; proceedings of a symposium on The Care and Maintenance of Photographic Collections, held in Ottawa, 1974; and a talk by Dr. Evan H. Turner, director of the Philadelphia Museum of Fine Art, during the annual conference of the CMA in Quebec City, 1968.
- Biography/Administrative history:
Canadian Museums Association : The Canadian Museums Association (C.M.A.) was organized in 1946 and officially incorporated in 1947. The chief aim of this non-profit organization is to improve public museum and art gallery services in Canada. Although the Council is the governing body of the association, the Executive Committee implements the association's policies. Standing committees report to Council and, through the executive director, work with staff on the implementation of programs. The association offers an extensive training program for its members, and conducts surveys to evaluate museum standards in Canada. The C.M.A. cooperates with other museum associations in the Commonwealth and the United States, as well as with the International Council of Museums and UNESCO.
- Finding aid:
Textual records (Electronic) Part one of the finding aid is a file list for volumes 1 to 58. MSS1314 (90: Open)Textual records (Electronic) Part two of the finding aid is a box list for accession 1993/0271. MSS1314 (90: Open)
http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000198.pdfSound recordings (Paper) See AV Collection files for item level descriptions. (Restrictions not set)
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- Additional material, not described here, is in process. Researchers wishing to use this material should consult archival staff., Received in 1979 from the Canadian Museums Association.
- Subject heading:
- Art museums Canada
- Museums - Canada, n.d., 1908, 1923-1979 American Association of Museums, n.d., 1908-1978
- Associations, institutions, etc. - Canada, n.d., 1908, 1923-1979 British Museums Association, n.d., 1923-1978
- Associations, institutions, etc., American, n.d., 1923-1978 International Council of Museums, n.d., 1923-1978
- Associations, institutions, etc., British, n.d., 1923-1978 United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), n.d., 1923-1978
- Associations, institutions, etc., Foreign, n.d., 1923-1978 Bulletin (Canadian Museums Association), n.d., 1931, 1948-1976
- Museums - United States, n.d., 1923-1978 Gazette (Canadian Museums Association), n.d., 1931, 1948-1976
- Museums - Great Britain, n.d., 1923-1978 Newsletters (Canadian Museums Association), n.d., 1931, 1948-1976
- International agencies, n.d., 1923-1978 Dr. Carl Guthe, 1949-1961
- Governmental investigations - Canada, n.d., 1931, 1948-1976 Archie Key, 1934, 1968
- Canadian Museums Association - Publishing, n.d., 1931, 1948-1976 R.O. Harrison, 1934, 1950-1978
- Canadian Museums Association - Centennial celebrations, etc., 1960-1967 Technical Requirements of a Small Museum, 1934, 1950-1978
- Museums - Employees - Training of, n.d., 1934, 1947-1978 Architectural Bibliography, [1934, 1950-1978]
- Occupational training - Canada, n.d., 1934, 1947-1978 Canada. Dept. of the Secretary of State, 1963-1976
- Museum techniques, n.d., 1934, 1947-1978 National Museums of Canada, n.d., 1941-1948
- Seminars, n.d., 1934, 1947-1978 Canadian Museums Association Council, 1947-1977
- Canadian Museums Association - By-laws, 1946-1947
- Museums - Directories, n.d., 1908-1925, 1949-1978
- Former archival reference no.:
Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
Photographs: No restrictions; various copyright; with credit to name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no. Print: No restrictions; with credit to name of artist / National Archives of Canada. Sound recordings: Reproduction and use in any form requires the written permission of copyright holder and in some cases of the donor; please see item level descriptions.
- Date modified: